Started on: 02-03-2019 12:36 PM
Replies: 24 (591 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 02-10-2019 05:37 PM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was born, men stopped wearing hats. I am convinced that that is the real reason the world is going to hell.

Do you wear a hat? Why or why not? What style do you prefer?

It has always been customary for a man to remove his hat indoors and to "tip" to a lady. Do you follow these customs and do you see them followed by others? Are they now considered outdated?

I have always liked hats, particularly fedoras, always with a pinch.

About 1960:

My grandfather:

Bonus if you can tell me what song the thread title comes from and what movie the first picture came from.

------------------

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-04-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always liked this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952h-AJ3Bcg

[This message has been edited by GTGeff (edited 02-03-2019).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

It has always been customary for a man to remove his hat indoors and to "tip" to a lady. Do you follow these customs and do you see them followed by others? Are they now considered outdated?

I have often seen people sitting in restaurants with their hat or cap on. I've even seen young adults during church services with their baseball cap turned backwards or their hoodie on their head. It isn't really a reflection on the individual, but on their parents.

GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always.
Unless I'm indoors in polite company, or travelling via airplane.

My latest hat (already many years old now) was made at a famous hatter out near you. The O'Farrell Hat Company in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
100% pure beaver custom made for my head using their conformateur apparatus.
There is nothing quite like the feeling of a high quality hat that was made specifically for your head.

See this thread for pics.

~Tyler
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2019 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie Daniels

Uneasy rider.

I have 4 stetsons and 7 ball caps, (all camo)...And yes, I take off the head-dress walking into a Legion.

Too easy, man

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 02-03-2019).]

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those individuals are also in church which says soemthing because that group us declining with younger generations. Happy yo see them in church but would also like to see the parenting too.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have tried to wear hats and just cant pull it off.
I do wear ball caps when the weather calls for one but other than that I don't.
Its been some time since I have lived somewhere that requires a stocking hat, I have one my girlfriend made me. Its nice but I only wear it around the house.

Most of the people I knew when I was in Florida had hats because they were losing their hair and hiding it.
As I don't have that problem I only wear a hat when its needed to keep the sun or rain off my head.

Now I have had a couple Stetsons in my time but just couldn't pull off the look.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2019 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jake, I started shaving my mellon 30 years ago...If I had hair, I wouldn't know what the hell to do with it.

Bald spot ??? Its all a chrome-dome.

Whatchyou talking bout Willis ??

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 02-03-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

Those individuals are also in church which says soemthing because that group us declining with younger generations. Happy yo see them in church but would also like to see the parenting too.

Many churches are much more casual than they once were. There is nothing wrong with that. The stodgy atmosphere of some churches can be intimidating.

Originally posted by GTGeff:

I always liked this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952h-AJ3Bcg

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Charlie Daniels

Uneasy rider.

I have 4 stetsons and 7 ball caps, (all camo)...And yes, I take off the head-dress walking into a Legion.

Too easy, man

Everyone knew Charlie Daniels, but no one knew "The Big Sleep". One of my favorite Bogie scenes:

Interestingly enough, Bogie and another man are both covered indoors.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-03-2019).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I very seldom wear hats, but when I do, it's the flat "english-cabbie-newsboy hat." Don't have much use for ball caps. Just ain't me.
And yeah... I try to always be mindful of the ladies, and of protocol.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to never wear hats at all, I hated the way I looked with one on. I decided when I was 22 maybe 23 that I'd try out wearing a baseball cap, but I chose to wear one that wise branded for Quicksilver or NBA's Hornets. I wore them off and on when I wasn't working. When I transitioned into more of a physical labor type of occupation, I began wearing a baseball cap for pretty much anything that wasn't more formal than daily living. Here it is 20 or so years later and I am still wearing one for anything that isn't much more formal than daily living. Funeral, church, some date nights with my wife depending on place and so on I will forgo the hat. Relaxing at home? Depends on my mood. Sometimes it's on sometimes it's off but if we are about to go outside, I'm looking for one of my many hats running around the house somewhere. The only thing is, wearing a hat has mandated a short hair style for me. I don't let my hair get more than a inch and a half long before I hate the way it sticks out from under the hat and I'm buzzing it back down to 1/4" length again.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 02-03-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The title reminded me of a very old joke and a song.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2019 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tip your hat to a lady, find me a lady first, then one that not call that action sexist .

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Wow, nobody?

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/tips-fedora

I just followed your link….and now I am deeply offended.

Actually, I have been wearing fedoras for over 30 years as a ...uh...er... tip of the hat to early-to-mid 20th century popular American culture and a rebellion against the super wide brimmed cowboy hats that became popular in the 1980s.

They go with the music:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

My Jed Clampett hat (about 25 years ago):

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-04-2019).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

...wearing a hat has mandated a short hair style for me. I don't let my hair get more than a inch and a half long before I hate the way it sticks out from under the hat and I'm buzzing it back down to 1/4" length again.

Grow it long enough and the hat will be useful to keep the hair out of the wind. I hate the tangles and can keep it all contained under my hat, and my hair is waist-length.

One thing about baseball hats: they're MUCH more comfortable worn backwards. Something about the hard edge of the brim hurts my forehead if I wear it facing forwards. Either its the hard brim, or else I have a strange shaped square head, I don't know which.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wear a hat, because my head is cold. I remember to take it off when going into church.

Growing up, there were so many rules about hats that I avoided wesring a hat at all costs, just so I didn't have to remember (and abide by) the rules. If you don't practice the hat rules, and don't see them exemplified, you forget them. I vaguely remember hearing some of those things.

A few years ago, I was riding my bike on a bike path. Note that this was a bike path--not a walking path. The path was built at the expense of a bike group to which I belonged. My kids were riding their bikes behind me. There were 2 women walking side by side coming toward me, taking up the entire bike path. I pulled to the side and stopped to let the women by. When they got next to me, they stopped and unleashed a stream of profanity toward me. The only printable adjetive they used to describe me was "jerk". I wasn't sure how to respond, so I smiled and told them that that was great stuff, and asked if they had a notebook and pen, so I could write it down. Apparently this was beyond their vacabulary and/or comprehension level, and they chose to start on my kids. The bike group cancelled their participation in that path, which fell into disrepair. The bike group no longer supports any of the walking paths. I'm sure those women were among those complaining about the horrid state of the walking trails in that area. The entire neighborhood sortof went downhill. We bikers used to pick up trash and run off the riff-raff. Since those women were local, maybe they fit in with the neighborhood, now. Somehow, I think I forgot to tip my hat.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Willie, got one of those pictures myself. Around 1966 though.

As far as wearing hats, not really. Santa hat around Christmas. Hard hat when I have to go on site. Motorcycle helmet only when I have to and winter hat when it's real cold out.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Hey Willie, got one of those pictures myself. Around 1966 though.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

As far as wearing hats, not really. Santa hat around Christmas. Hard hat when I have to go on site. Motorcycle helmet only when I have to and winter hat when it's real cold out.

Very cool! I guess that was somewhat common in the middle of the last century. I still remember the morning I saw the photographer with the pony outside my window. There weren't a lot of people wandering around Pensacola with ponies.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to wear hats all the time, had quite the collection going when I was in my 20's. Now that I am closing in on 50 my hat days are pretty much over, I wear a boonie hat when I mow the lawn just to keep the sun off my head, I wear a visor when golfing, and my college baseball cap on mondays when I do all my running around gathering supplies for that weeks projects.

dan

[This message has been edited by bonaduce (edited 02-07-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
When I was born, men stopped wearing hats. I am convinced that that is the real reason the world is going to hell.

How exactly did your birth precipitate this crisis??
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

How exactly did your birth precipitate this crisis??

Ask my ex wife.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2019 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started this thread because I was looking for a new hat and I found one. It is a black wool-felt Stetson with a 3.5" brim.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-10-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock