Started on: 02-01-2019 06:12 PM
Replies: 18 (376 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 02-07-2019 12:05 AM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 11-09-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PayPal IS Ebay.
Ebay bought them 10+ years ago.

If you find any other method to buy from X vendor is very likely a scam.

Even then Don't allow PayPal access to a main checking account. Many have big problems with them and can take weeks to never settle any problem.

I pay anything online and offline only w/ Credit Cards not Debit Cards. CC are different from DC and better protected by Fed Banking Laws. DC "protection" is at the whim of individual banks and they can change whatever rules w/o warning.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, ebay cut ties with Paypal. https://money.cnn.com/2018/...ayments-split-adyen/

Ebay is phasing in a new payment option (forget what it is called), but it is still voluntary at this point (I haven't been forced to switch). I will pay a little more for the same item to purchase through paypal vs. signing up for the new program.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"PayPal spokeswoman Amanda Miller said the company will "continue to provide a comprehensive payments solution to eBay through July 2020." It will also remain a payment option at checkout for eBay customers until July 2023."

Seriously, doesn't anybody actually READ the linked articles at all?

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-01-2019).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Obviously, the implementation is at variance to the statement.

If you look at the links I provided, you will see that paypal is not an option.

Just checked my list of "watch" items, (3 pages worth), and 95%+ still have PayPal option.

I suppose if the seller doesn't have the payment option you want, you need to shop around more.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-01-2019).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe I was not clear in my original post, so I'll state it again:
Ebay is preventing merchants from using paypal. I called ebay, and they confirmed this on these exact items.

Don't know what to tell you. I've been selling on ebay for about 20yrs at this point. Right now I have over 200 items listed and generally sell around 1-2 per a day. I only accept Paypal as a payment option and have had no problems as of yet.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sams club is now trying to force people to use their card, as is costco. Bye, bye.

I do not know about Sam's Club but Costco only accepts Visa this year and they do not care who issued it. I personally do not use a Costco Visa and purchase things there on a regular basis. BTW, prior to going to Visa last year, Costco only accepted American Express for credit card payments. I assume that they negotiated a better deal with Visa and then changed. Who knows what will happen next time they negotiate a new card agreement?

BTW, I purchased two items on eBay last week and used PayPal with no issues.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 02-02-2019).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe I was not clear in my original post, so I'll state it again:
Ebay is preventing merchants from using paypal. I called ebay, and they confirmed this on these exact items.

For the last year, ebay merchants (I am one of them, been a member since August 1999) have been getting emails and other notices requesting/suggesting to switch to the new ebay pay system. Some merchants are making the switch and moving on (I will call them voluntary early adopters - and they might be getting some incentive by ebay to participate to help the new system gain momentum), many are sticking with paypal as long as they possibly can (I am still paypal only for all my listings). When the day does come where ebay forces the non-voluntary merchants to switch, many like me will simply just walk away from ebay. Likewise, when paypal is no longer accepted for any product on ebay, many customers will also walk away and the merchants will lose sales.

I consider this similar to the Photobucket debacle... those of us that stood our ground, did nothing, and waited them out, eventually had everything restored to just like it was before (as a paying customer $30/yr I never lost any links to any of my pictures). Ebay is trying to persuade everyone to switch and push paypal off their platform to gain market share and margin, but when enough merchants choose not to, they will have to make a hard decision.... by switching early, many merchants are currently losing sales, and when the deadline to switch comes and ebay sees that 50% or more of their merchants haven't voluntarily switched, then will have to think about the consequences to forcing the switch... loose merchants and lose customers.

I buy a lot of stuff from large sellers on ebay, and sometimes have an issue where a vendor won't accept paypal. When that happens, I go back out to the search list and go down the list until I find one that does, and buy it from them. Sometimes it costs a little more, but it is worth it to avoid the hassle of needing to add yet a 3rd pay system to my LLC.

The other little trick ebay is doing to make the issue look more wide spread than it is, when you use the cart function to buy from multiple vendors, if one of them doesn't accept paypal, you get the notice on all of them (even though some do still accept paypal). What you have to do is only pay one vendor at a time (those that accept paypal) and then find an alternative vendor. In the big brother world we are living it, I can't help but to think they are monitoring people actions when they encounter this. Do they just sign up to complete the purchase or do they take the long way around to purchase what they want w/o joining the new pay system...

Anymore, I pay attention to the payment methods when I am looking at the part and don't add anything to the cart from a vendor that doesn't accept paypal.

The tide definitely is coming in regards to the new ebay pay system, but paypal hasn't been completely phased out at this point, and I am fighting the process by choosing which merchants on ebay still get my $$$.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 02-02-2019).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't read any of the articles because I'm to lazy. Paypal will remain as an option for payment....it will not be listed in front of the other credit card logo's ( in other words no more suggestive selling ).

By 2023 Paypal will be an option BUT will no longer process credit card transactions. What this means to me is that I have to use Paypal credit or a Paypal balance only. I wonder how the new company will handle a credit line such as Paypal credit? Will it be Adyen credit?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Paypal on Ebay. It is linked to a bank account, but there is only enough in that account to cover a purchase for that day. If I buy something for $20, I transfer $20 to that account right at the transaction. It is 'protected' by a credit card on that account. BUT that credit card expired years ago. No one can steal anything. Now if I get a bad deal and want my money back, all its costing is that money for that product for the time they take to work it out. I dont buy stuff for a price im not willing to forget about. losing $15 for a camera battery is not going to bother me. I give more than that for tips at dinner. I dont buy big stuff there anymore, I go direct to seller companies for that. Then the card I use is totally protected from fraud.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-06-2019).]

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
By 2023 Paypal will be an option BUT will no longer process credit card transactions. What this means to me is that I have to use Paypal credit or a Paypal balance only. I wonder how the new company will handle a credit line such as Paypal credit? Will it be Adyen credit?

OK, that totally sucks. Having the Credit Card payment method allows for a second line of dispute, if needed, also accrues frequent flier miles (for the cards I use), and keeps PayPal out of my extra bank account. This is exactly what I hate about these e-Commerce companies ... they Force customers to give up features instead of listening to what customers want.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock