Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  How to make a delivery guy hopping mad !

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to make a delivery guy hopping mad ! by MidEngineManiac
Started on: 01-31-2019 11:02 PM
Replies: 17 (391 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 02-26-2019 07:57 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2019 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About once a week we have a pizza night...get 2 x-large pepperoni's for 20 bucks. With taxes and delivery charge it comes to 27.99...

The past 3 times the driver "doesnt have" change for $40 (13 bucks change)..he can only find one single $5 bill.

Last week I told him he would have to go back to the store and come back when he had some, and he MIRACULOUSLY managed to go out to the car and find the extra 8 bucks in quarters, loonies and toonies, but was none to happy about it.

So this week we made damn sure we had exact change for the order. $28 on the nose. AND I told him we would make sure we had exact change every time from now on since he never had any

This guy was so mad he was ready to pop off ! I'm actually surprised he didn't blow up by the look on his face

All he was doing was trying to screw customers into a larger tip and it didnt fly. With that kind of entitlement attitude, I am guessing he votes Trudeau !!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2019 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like he is....wait for it....true to his dough

See what I did there?

(On a couple of layers)
otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't give your delivery guy any tip whatsoever? I thought giving them 10%-15% of the order total was pretty standard everywhere.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd look out for 'unordered extras' on the next order he delivers.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2019 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by otakudude:

You don't give your delivery guy any tip whatsoever? I thought giving them 10%-15% of the order total was pretty standard everywhere.

Yeh, usually--with the caveat that being a dick negates that (I am not tipping for poor service)...and trying to force a 40% tip simply by not having (or claiming not to have) whats required to do his job is a dick move.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The chain pizza stores in this area have a delivery fee or tip built into the price, so even if the customer doesn't add a tip at time of delivery, the driver isn't at a total loss. They get $2-3 dollars for each delivery they make,included in the price of the pizza. Customer tips are always warranted for good service. 18-20% is the standard tip at a sit-down restaurant, and a delivery driver's job is every bit as demanding, plus the added expense of the automobile. They shouldn't be held responsible and penalized for an incorrect order that was put together by someone at the store.

But, yes, they should carry change for at least twice the amount of the order. Coins and small bills.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2019 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

The chain pizza stores in this area have a delivery fee or tip built into the price, so even if the customer doesn't add a tip at time of delivery, the driver isn't at a total loss. They get $2-3 dollars for each delivery they make,included in the price of the pizza. Customer tips are always warranted for good service. 18-20% is the standard tip at a sit-down restaurant, and a delivery driver's job is every bit as demanding, plus the added expense of the automobile. They shouldn't be held responsible and penalized for an incorrect order that was put together by someone at the store.

But, yes, they should carry change for at least twice the amount of the order. Coins and small bills.

FYI, the drivers generally get nothing to about $.50 per delivery. No national chains pay more. There are suits going on currently.

Some owners pay more, but not much. Hourly is always minimum. Tips are what makes it any where near profitable. And, even then, it is still just a part time delivery job. One which I did for many years.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:FYI, the drivers generally get nothing to about $.50 per delivery.

Thanks for the information, not something we would have without someone with experience. I get too many tickets to add that much driving time to my life.
I would never consider not tipping. Consider the job, they are not making engineering money, and unless they were rude in the short interaction there should be some tip. But, yea, he should be able to make change.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember the days when I was delivering food, discussing with the other drivers about who tips and who doesn't. Best tippers were the college faculty members, followed by the air force base, college students (wasn't always money but you always got something), and last was the "townies". And we all informed each other of which ones got the delivery faster or slower. Man, even at my old age, I loved that job.

dan
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
FYI, the drivers generally get nothing to about $.50 per delivery. No national chains pay more. There are suits going on currently.

Some owners pay more, but not much. Hourly is always minimum. Tips are what makes it any where near profitable. And, even then, it is still just a part time delivery job. One which I did for many years.

A friend who delivered part time for a local Dominos is the one who told me about the built-in tip. May have just been what the store owner did. Out here, there are only 2 Dominos in the whole county. Maybe it was because of the large area they might have to drive.

There's not really a lot of danger out here. I don't recall ever hearing of any delivery drivers being robbed or harmed, but just one county closer, getting into Metro Atlanta, one would never know if he would walk away from the door, or in some cases even make it to the door.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 02-01-2019).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2 pizza places that I normally order delivery from allow me to put the tip on my credit card when I place the phone order.

This is beneficial in a few ways:

1. The usual delivery driver always seems to be more motivated to get my order to me fast and hot to keep the good tips coming.

2. Neither of us has to fumble around with money at the door along with pizza boxes and bags..... (we order salads too)

3. It builds a long term rapport between me and the store itself , and they have "educated" new delivery drivers that we will always tip well for good service "so don't mess it up".

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-03-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2019 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This place is Pizza-Pizza (huge chain up here) and the driver is a newbie. Never saw him before about 6 weeks ago.

As for driving, I've never done food but HAVE done booze/beer/tobacco a few different times.

It paid 3-4 bucks per drop, plus tip. You are lucky to cover expenses on that BUT the real money comes in on the "extra" cases and bottles in the car the regular's know they can get after-hours (for a substantial mark-up )

(Up here booze and beer sales are government-managed so when the store closes at 11 you are SOL until the morning unless you know somebody.)

That works out just GREAT for the millions who get off afternoon shift at 11 or 12...

Just to be legally clear, I have never in my life bootlegged alcohol. I give it away for free to consenting adults, and require the 10-cent-per-can refundable deposit. HPWEVER, if you want me to get out of bed at 2AM and give you a free case of beer, my time costs 150 bucks.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 02-02-2019).]

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I worked all the pizza spots thru high school n college. Good night job, free food. Delivery sucked. At pizza hut n some of the smaller places we had to use our own car. At round table they had lil mazda 323 n ford fiestas. Man we fu@cked up those cars! lol I always throw the guy at least a few bucks, they do remember who tips n who doesnt.

They always have change
shem
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

So this week we made damn sure we had exact change for the order. $28 on the nose.
AND I told him we would make sure we had exact change every time from now on since he never had any

Give him $30 and call it a day "sorry that's ALL I have..."

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last several deliveries I've had were horrible.

No forks/plates to eat stuff with. Food was cold out of the box etc. And despite being several states apart from each other, two of the drivers used the same "I don't have change for that" trick to try and get a larger tip. In both cases, I managed to come up with the dollars to bring it closer, and they lost about $5 in tips trying to get an extra ten out of me. I'll tip well for delivery if it's worth it, but it seems to be getting less worth it anymore.

Also, most places are charging four dollars and up for delivery, where is that money going if not to the driver?
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably time to go pick your own pizza up.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2019 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

I worked all the pizza spots thru high school n college. Good night job, free food. Delivery sucked. At pizza hut n some of the smaller places we had to use our own car. At round table they had lil mazda 323 n ford fiestas. Man we fu@cked up those cars! lol I always throw the guy at least a few bucks, they do remember who tips n who doesnt.

They always have change
shem

I lived not even a quarter mile from a Round Table Pizza in San Jose a few years ago I didn't even have to cross a street to get to, even so they were my pizza place of last resort. It was so hard to find good pizza in the valley, closest thing was Three Guys Pies in Fremont, which has apparently since closed.

If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out, and the delivery guy always has change. BUT if he wants to be a dick about it, fine, no tip. They learn that trick and try to exploit the hell out of it, best to teach them NOT to try it. I also usually put it on a credit card, most places have that option now.

Making friends with the delivery guy if you order from there often also helps. I order from a sandwich place every week or two, and made friends with the owner and his father, who usually deliver. I give them big tips, the orders are always right and well made, get there fast, and sometimes include extras.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2019 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Waking up a sleeper:

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Last week I had the need to order pizza to be delivered. The restaurant is only about 2 miles away. This morning I was going through my receipt box to sort keepers and throwaways. I noticed on the delivery receipt that it had a delivery charge. The price of the pizza was clearly marked, the soda, and the garlic stuff. Then there was the Delivery $2.50. Even so, I still gave the person a $5.00 tip, even though I am always of the mindset that there's a delivery charge built in. I had just never seen it broken out on any of the receipts from others who deliver. This weekend, I also had Chinese food delivered from a restaurant less than 1/4 mile closer than the pizza restaurrant. No delivery charge noted on the receipt. They also got the standard $5.00 tip.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock