Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  What Is The Definition Of The Term "Snowflake" ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What Is The Definition Of The Term "Snowflake" ? by cliffw
Started on: 01-28-2019 11:56 AM
Replies: 24 (529 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 02-04-2019 02:10 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to mark this political, but, then I might not have any snowflakes respond.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The way that I understand it, it was derived from the idea that all children are "special, unique little snowflakes" and as such should be indulged. This idea created an unmanageable horde of spoiled, narcissistic brats.

The idea was irresponsible and I shudder to think of what kind of society will result from the children of the snowflakes; the "theybies".

All of these things result from listening to children who believe that we can ignore the lessons learned over thousands of years of human evolution.

Some blame Benjamin Spock, but I think he was just a part of a trend that became pervasive in society beginning in the middle of the twentieth century. I was born in 1954, so I grew up with all of Spock's children and even as a kid, I could see the changes taking place in our public education system in the sixties.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-28-2019).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"theybies"

Does anyone remember the Topic--maybe 6 months ago?--"Transgenders". I think that is the thread title.

I reported on it as an idea that was taking hold among some parents, of raising their children without imposing or reinforcing the traditional Male and Female gender norms, but letting the child figuring it out on their own. A unisex approach as the child grows from infancy, until the child demonstrates that he wants to be a "he", or she wants to be a "she", or he wants to be a "her", or she wants to be a "him". Leaving aside the other theoretical possibilities for the moment.

I don't see how the government, at any level from the federal level on down, could act to prevent this, without experiencing push-back or lawsuits from some libertarian-minded groups or individuals.

I am not saying it's a proven good idea. I do think it's something that other "parenting enthusiasts" that are rooted in the traditional "baby, not theybie" approach should be aware of, and keep their eyes on how these unconventionally raised children "work out" as they grow up and move through the system.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-28-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

"theybies"

Does anyone remember the Topic--maybe 6 months ago?--"Transgenders". I think that is the thread title.

I reported on it as an idea that was taking hold among some parents, of raising their children without imposing or reinforcing the traditional Male and Female gender norms, but letting the child figuring it out on their own. A unisex approach as the child grows from infancy, until the child demonstrates that he wants to be a "he", or she wants to be a "she", or he wants to be a "her", or she wants to be a "him". Leaving aside the other theoretical possibilities for the moment.

I don't see how the government, at any level from the federal level on down, could act to prevent this, without experiencing push-back or lawsuits from some libertarian-minded groups or individuals.

I am not saying it's a proven good idea. I do think it's something that other "parenting enthusiasts" that are rooted in the traditional "baby, not theybie" approach should be aware of, and keep their eyes on how these unconventionally raised children "work out" as they grow up and move through the system.

I don't think it is the government's role to prevent this. I also don't think that the destruction will be caused solely by the distortion of gender identity. The "theybies" concept is just a symptom of the continuing trend toward ignoring the lessons learned from the beginning of human existence.

As touched on in another thread, civilization is built on these lessons. To abandon what we have learned is to risk the collapse of civilization.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2019 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Snowflake:

A narcisistic, whiny, self-centered pile of shat who will throw a temper-tantrum if they dont get their own way or see/hear something they dont like. Think they rule the world while in fact are incapable of ruling even their own coloring books.

See also: 3-year-old in a large body.

Only know cure: Several good shat-kickings. In extreme cases summary execution is advisable.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

"theybies"
....until the child demonstrates that he wants to be a "he", or she wants to be a "she", or he wants to be a "her", or she wants to be a "him"....

For a time, as a wee lad, I wanted to be a preacher. Can you imagine the kind of twisted cult that would have come from that?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When we remove pride in what we can do and give everyone an award even when they are not achieving we all suffer.
There are those that will take advantage of this, twist the uneducated and get away with it because they are told they are special and belong.

Failure teaches us what not to do and how to achieve. Growing up I failed a lot but I kept at it. I knew if someone was able to do it than so could I.
I learned my limits but I tried and learned a lot of things. I did not yell and flail about when I failed I looked at it and figured it out. (well except for the occasional wrench flinging contest)

Its the exact polar opposite now, kids think they are able to do anything and then when called to task they fail and can not comprehend it.
Then you get the "snowflake" reaction of acting out as they don't know any other way to cope with it.
Young people today are not prepared to face the challenges of life, spend some time with people younger than 30 and you will see.
When they point fingers and blame everyone else but themselves.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2019 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

, spend some time with people younger than 30 and you will see.

I try very hard not to...or at least keep it to an absolute minimum.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When we remove pride in what we can do and give everyone an award even when they are not achieving we all suffer.
There are those that will take advantage of this, twist the uneducated and get away with it because they are told they are special and belong.

Failure teaches us what not to do and how to achieve. Growing up I failed a lot but I kept at it. I knew if someone was able to do it than so could I.
I learned my limits but I tried and learned a lot of things. I did not yell and flail about when I failed I looked at it and figured it out. (well except for the occasional wrench flinging contest)

Its the exact polar opposite now, kids think they are able to do anything and then when called to task they fail and can not comprehend it.
Then you get the "snowflake" reaction of acting out as they don't know any other way to cope with it.
Young people today are not prepared to face the challenges of life, spend some time with people younger than 30 and you will see.
When they point fingers and blame everyone else but themselves.

That reminds me of a very simple signature line from a member of a motorcycle forum that I frequent:

"Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better."

I think it is great advice.

Of course, my signature on that same forum is this:

"Gimme a pigfoot and a bottle of beer"

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-28-2019).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2019 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good one Willie...AND, it falls RIGHT in line with a rush job request I got this morning.

Student group wants me to go find them a scooter mechanic and set up (4) 2-hour sessions on maintenance and repairs since "spring is just around the corner" (Its Febuary, almost, on the North Shore of Lake Erie. You azzholes wont be riding for another 3 months, there is LOTS of time and this is not a "rush" job)

They want to learn EVERYTHING there is to know about scooters...in 8 hours ...GEE, dontchya figure there MIGHT be a reason that the trade is a multi-year apprenticeship ??? </sarcasm>

I know a couple guys that own shops and can run it at their place. I'll charge a decent buck for setting things up but really its only going to take me a few phone calls.

But, the point is, that is seriously the way these kids think...they WANT, so they can learn it in a few hours (with little effort). The idea of starting with bicycles and legos and old broken radios and stuff as a kid and spending a lifetime building from that base to gain the knowledge doesn't even enter into their minds. They really DO think they can "learn it all" with a few short courses and lectures, and apply that to everything in life.

Annnddddd....when the 4 sessions are over and they haven't even begun to scratch the surface of scooter mechanics, its not THEIR fault, we are wrong, the system is wrong, its the manufacturers fault, it was a poor teacher/mechanic, its the scooters fault for being too complicated...everything but them. THEN the melt-down starts and the demands "I want my money back" come pouring in along with the threats about lawyers if they don't get their own way.

Oh, well. Tough kaka what they want. They were warned this morning (in writing via e-mail) that they cant possibly be taught everything in 8 hours....which will lead to even more melt-down

I do SOOOOOO enjoy free entertainment.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

The way that I understand it, it was derived from the idea that all children are "special, unique little snowflakes"

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Snowflake, as it applies to human behavior, is a colloquial term. There is no official definition. However, it is a shorter version of the term "special little snowflake" which refers to children who were coddled by their parents, and grow up with the entitlement mentality.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

“Justice demands that the good and hard-working be rewarded and the evil and the lazy be punished (if only by the withholding of the rewards of doing the right things).

Modern Liberalism demands that the good and hardworking be punished as the recipients of an unfair advantage and the evil and the lazy be rewarded.

Their own failure is all the proof the Modern Liberal needs that somehow they have been "victimized" by forces out of their control.”
...............Evan Sayet

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-28-2019).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2019 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
The way that I understand it, it was derived from the idea that all children are "special, unique little snowflakes" and as such should be indulged. This idea created an unmanageable horde of spoiled, narcissistic brats.

The way I understand it, ... your on the right track.

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:
Snowflake:

A narcisistic, whiny, self-centered pile of shat who will throw a temper-tantrum if they dont get their own way or see/hear something they dont like. Think they rule the world while in fact are incapable of ruling even their own coloring books.

You are closer to the target.

Originally posted by Blacktree:
Snowflake, as it applies to human behavior, is a colloquial term. There is no official definition. However, it is a shorter version of the term "special little snowflake" which refers to children who were coddled by their parents, and grow up with the entitlement mentality.

That fits right in there, . One might include that those up and coming citizens were also indoctrinated by their teachers and the Left.

Originally posted by randye:
Evan Sayet

Hmm, I had never heard of him. An interesting fellow. I will be perusing thru some of his material.

Originally posted by randye, in another thread:
"It is particularly true of liberal / leftists who love to continually change definitions to suit themselves and their present situation. (moral relativism)".

Where oh where oh is Boondawg's opinion ? He accused some here of being snowflakes.

Snowflake :

As I understand it, in modern lexicon (someone give me a more apt descriptive word), a snowflake is ...
Began being used extensively as a putdown for someone, usually on the political left, who is easily offended or felt they needed a "safe space" away from the harsh realities of the world, but now has morphed into a general putdown for anyone that complains about any subject.

Heh, just below that quote is this :
Comedians have a hard time performing on college campuses anymore because of all the little snowflakes running around that get offended by just about anything they say".

From the same source ... :

"A clueless and conceited college student that cannot handle critical thinking from others. In other words, a deluded jerk".

From the same source ... :

"A term used to describe extremist liberals that get offended by every statement and/or belief that doesn't exactly match their own. These individuals think they are just as "unique" as snowflakes, when really their feelings are just as fragile."

From another source ...

Someone who believes they are as unique and special as a snowflake; someone hypersensitive to insult or offense, especially a young person with politically correct sensibilities.

...the meaning has expanded from "a person who believes they are unique" to also denote someone who is too sensitive and is easily offended, based on conceptions of snowflakes' fragility and weakness".
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2019 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Snowflake:

Only know cure: Several good shat-kickings. In extreme cases summary execution is advisable.

BEST ANSWER YET.........

(add see democrat)

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-29-2019).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-30-2019 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2019 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plenty of good answers here.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2019 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Deinition of snowflake...?

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2019 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn it Jake, I am rolling on the floor laughing. Did he vote to give her a "participation trophy" ?
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I was going to mark this political, but, then I might not have any snowflakes respond.

I was listening to Breitbart's morning show in 2015ish (I think, was when Trump first announced) when Milo suggested in an interview that the Millenial generation be called "Snowflakes". At that point, there were several suggestions going around, but after that, the phone calls supporting calling them Snowflakes were off the charts.

The reasons were that they melted easily, were precious individuals that all looked the same, but demanded they be viewed as unique. And most importantly stated by Bannon, if enough of them got together they could create an avalanche and smother any real discussion and bring everything to a screeching halt.

Brad
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2019 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

The reasons were that they melted easily, were precious individuals that all looked the same, but demanded they be viewed as unique. And most importantly stated by Bannon, if enough of them got together they could create an avalanche and smother any real discussion and bring everything to a screeching halt.

Brad

They're also, like snow, prone to just drifting through life with the changing winds and making it difficult for working, productive citizens to get things done.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-02-2019).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2019 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LMFAO !!!

Talk about a dick move...guess hes got balls...

OH, crap. Thanks man, I havent laughed that hard over a picture since I dont know when.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2019 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, Thank you I'm here all week

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock