Started on: 01-23-2019 12:33 PM
Replies: 15 (242 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 01-24-2019 03:14 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checked politics. F U, that's why !

Say I had the idea to start a new industry, say a quick lube type of venture.

How do I keep other people from taking my idea and becoming my competitor ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ZCR1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZCR1Send a Private Message to ZCR1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As my old boss used to say: "Patents only keep the honest people from copying your ideas."

We had many private, Intellectual Information we kept within our business. Never to be given out. Never to be shown to anyone else outside of the workforce. And there were written contracts with the company all of us had to sign to be hired. I developed many new technologies and techniques for making foam over the years and only a couple were actually patented, because to patent something would bring it out into the open where others could see what you were doing. And then they would modify it slightly or just steal it outright and try to take away our business.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2019 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got an idea ????

Since when ? 'bout what ?

(Second the above, the REALLY good stuff you never disclose, just use in secret.).....BTW, wiminz arz self-lubricating, unless you are one of DEM that dont know what the hell you are doing in this bathroom !!! How quick it is depends on you.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-23-2019).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck, you have to just do it better than everyone else and don't just keep one chicken in the coop.
Be ready when they take your idea with another one. Perhaps when you explain how its done you leave something out so they cant copy it

I worked for a company and they decided to move operations to China, hmmm well ok I see the writing on the wall. Fast forward 3 years and they are now out of business as their new partners stole everything from them.
Hmmm communist bastards
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

As my old boss used to say: "Patents only keep the honest people from copying your ideas."

We had many private, Intellectual Information we kept within our business. Never to be given out. Never to be shown to anyone else outside of the workforce. And there were written contracts with the company all of us had to sign to be hired. I developed many new technologies and techniques for making foam over the years and only a couple were actually patented, because to patent something would bring it out into the open where others could see what you were doing. And then they would modify it slightly or just steal it outright and try to take away our business.

There is another old saying in the Intellectual Property world:

"Patents are only worth what you are willing to spend to defend them."

Contrary to what the uninformed might think, the government does not "enforce" or defend any patents other than it's own. (DoD, DoE, NASA, etc.).
If your patent is being infringed, you must actively defend it yourself which means lawyers and money.

What you described above is known as a "trade secret" which is often the very best way to protect things like processes, recipes, etc. (KFC, Coca-Cola, etc.)
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best way to keep a secret is to not tell anyone.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The best way to keep a secret is to not tell anyone.

Oh Great, you just gave away that secret
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:
You got an idea ????
Since when ?
'bout what ?

Yeah, I have an idea. I got it when I saw your first post years ago.

How 'bout yo go ruck yourself. I kid !

Thanks folks ! About what I thought.
I can't hold my idea in house because it will be a public establishment. I can't, it seems, even discuss it with potential investors, as thy might run with it before I can even get started.

To be fair, my idea is actually an added service that already existing businesses provide. Which I know will bring profits. I would use it and I think many in America would.

I guess I can not even discuss it with such businesses, which are already set up, lest they exploit it.

Let me try a different tact.

How do people propose ads for commercials without them being used without the creators permission ?

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 01-24-2019).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think basically you want to have a famous scary lawyer. Also talking to one could be a good place to start about how to go about it.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree two point five.
I would need a lawyer anyways because of potential liability issues. However, before I talk to a lawyer, I need to have all my concerns ready to be talked about. Besides, lawyers have more start up ability than I do.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hear Michael Avenetti is looking for clients.

The 'lube' part of your idea kinda fits with some of his past clients.

🤔
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

To be fair, my idea is actually an added service that already existing businesses provide. Which I know will bring profits. I would use it and I think many in America would.

I'm not all that sure that a Jiffy Lube with a cocktail waitress is a good idea.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2019 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I'm not all that sure that a Jiffy Lube with a NUDE cocktail waitress is a good idea.

FTFY....and its been done....

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I need to rethink my position.....
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2019 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I agree two point five.
I would need a lawyer anyways because of potential liability issues. However, before I talk to a lawyer, I need to have all my concerns ready to be talked about. Besides, lawyers have more start up ability than I do.

Lawyers kill a lot of things before they even get started...

Back in the 90's when I had my woodshop, I wanted to get into making kids toys. Hierloom-type stuff.

I had access to dirt-cheap quality woods (cherry, walnut, maple, oak) and could knock out 3-5 pieces a weekend...People pay DAMN good money for hand-made wooden toys.

By the time my lawyer was done explaining the trillion-different types of liability, and the insurance company told me how much they wanted to cover it, the idea got trash-canned PDQ and I stuck with country decorating stuff.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock