Started on: 01-22-2019 02:29 AM
Replies: 22 (411 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-24-2019 04:25 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2019 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while back Kim gave me Monkey-Bones to keep the dog company when I am not around...

All good, he is a great cat. Doesnt spray, doesnt get underfoot, only sits on my keyboard when I am trying to type sometimes...

And I get him the good cat food...Meow Mix. Purina. twenty-gazzilion-flavor-blend. The stuff aint cheap !!

SO, what does he eat 90% of the time ? Alpo...the dogs food. I cant keep him out of the dogs bowl !

I swear, one of these days I am going to walk into the place and my cat is going to be barking at me and wanting to play fetch !!

(Yes, I just caught him at it again, and promptly got ignored when I told him to leave the dog food alone)

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-22-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Anybody know how to cure a cat ?

I imagine it would be the same as a squirrel or a rabbit.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I imagine it would be the same as a squirrel or a rabbit.

I'm told cat hide makes nice gloves.

Rams

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always heard that the food specific for the two animals isn't good for the health of the other. I only feed my two dogs a controlled amount at each of two meals. They eat all of it. Surprisingly, the cat will try to gorge on everything I put into his bowl. Usually a cat will only eat what it needs, but this adopted neighborhood cat must feel there's some competition for his food. The dogs don't bother his bowl.

Probably best to just feed a controlled amount then pick up the dog's food and put it away so the cat can't get it, or get a dog dish that can be closed to prevent either dog or cat from getting into it.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cats are evil. It doesn't want the dog food, it simply wants to deprive the dog of its food.
ZCR1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZCR1Send a Private Message to ZCR1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try Temptations (catnip fever flavor), they are like crack for my cats. If it does like those.... it's not a cat, and you've found your problem.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read ingrediads and other data on label.
Some dog foods are too "fat" or have other issues when a cat eats them.

Cats often like wet foods because gets more of water intake from food not the water bowl.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the dog eat its food in a few minutes?
Put the cat in a different room with its own food for the few minutes it should take the dog to eat.
If you leave food out all the time like some people do, that should be fixed by having meal times. When the dog food isn't there, the cat wont eat it.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2019 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't the Fiero Store sell new cats?

Yes they do! https://www.fierostore.com/...rowse.aspx?d=211&p=1
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Doesn't the Fiero Store sell new cats?

Yes they do! https://www.fierostore.com/...rowse.aspx?d=211&p=1

Their cats are all white. Is that a racist statement?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2019 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Their cats are all white. Is that a racist statement?

I have it bookmarked. Starting to get sick of the straight pipe smell. I never realized my indignation!

Edit: OMG! I think I may have offended all pipes by misgendering it a "straight" pipe. Where does it end?

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-22-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't leave the dog food out all day. Dogs will learn a lot faster to finish the bowl when you put it out then trying to train a cat. Trust me on this.
We also were getting the expensive multiflavored food and one day picked up some generic food and the cats loved it.
They seem to like the stuff that is colored and left the brown food in the bowl.

Side note my favorite cat would play fetch. Roll up a sock and throw it and she would bring it back and sit waiting for me to do it again.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swift unprejudiced use of a hatchet.

Please don't take that seriously.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Purina, Meow Mix and most grocery store brands are absolute garbage. Read the ingredient labels, usually the first ingredient is corm meal or another grain. Cats are carnivores, and grains have ZERO nutritional value for them.

Most likely they are eating your dogs food because they need the protein they are not getting with their current food. There are lots of quality brands, and yes they will cost more. If you want the cat to survive, then it's worth the extra cost. Plus they will tend to eat less, since they are getting MUCH better nutrition, so the cost difference is actually not too bad.

No cat food should contain grains of any kind, it's filler only to make it cheap.

Some good brands:
Blue Buffalo
Diamond Naturals
4 Health (Tractor Supply Company brand)
Taste of the Wild (what I get)
Blue Wilderness

To show just how bad Purina is - here is a breakdown/rating of their dog food (don't have a link for cat chow, but still gives you the idea)
https://www.dogfoodadvisor....ews/purina-dog-chow/
Basically, Purina Dog Chow is one of the worst things to give your dog, so I would imagine Cat Chow is similar garbage.

I have done a lot of research on both dog and cat food, as I have had several "special needs" pets. Changing their diets to a quality food made significant differences, and substantially increased the quality of their lives.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2019 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

Purina, Meow Mix and most grocery store brands are absolute garbage. Click to show

We just adopted a great little guy from SCRAPS. A young Pitbull and Lab mix that spent three months there. He is the most loyal and loving creature that I have ever had the opportunity of meeting. Our best decision ever!

I am a fairly intelligent and learned individual, but you just made me feel like a potato. I am going to do my own research. We eat rather healthy in this household, and so should our newest member.

Thanks for the insight.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
I am going to do my own research. We eat rather healthy in this household, and so should our newest member.

Thanks for the insight.

That was a good informational resource.

The sixth ingredient includes poultry by-product meal, a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It’s made from what’s left of slaughtered poultry after all the prime cuts have been removed.

In addition to organs, this item can also include feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs and almost anything other than prime skeletal muscle.

On the brighter side, by-product meals are meat concentrates and contain nearly 300% more protein than fresh poultry.

The quality of this ingredient can vary, depending on the caliber of the raw materials obtained by the manufacturer.

We consider poultry by-products slightly lower in quality than a single-species ingredient (like chicken by-products).

I work for a large poultry producer and can attest to the bold emphasized quote. They waste nothing, and make money on it. Even the manure. We sell that to some fertilizer producer.

My underlined part of the quote, ... is interesting. Chicken is poultry.

Tony, define healthy eating. Are you a vagen, ?

Is your great little guy going to get prime beef ? I never let my dog eat table food. That just might be a better choice. I have always felt guilty that Otis each the same zhit everyday until the bag is empty (50lb). Then he gets a new flavor.

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Poultry byproducts sounds like something that they serve in Pennsylvania, called Scraple. Basically, just take every thing left after cutting the meat off the bones and boil it. What comes to the surface you scoop out and let solidify and that is Scraple.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2019 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

Poultry byproducts sounds like something that they serve in Pennsylvania, called Scraple. Basically, just take every thing left after cutting the meat off the bones and boil it. What comes to the surface you scoop out and let solidify and that is Scraple.

I've had it...kinda reminds me of "canned luncheon meat substitute or other by-products"
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Microwave therapy?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2019 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I work for a large poultry producer and can attest to the bold emphasized quote. They waste nothing, and make money on it. Even the manure. We sell that to some fertilizer producer.

My underlined part of the quote, ... is interesting. Chicken is poultry.

Tony, define healthy eating. Are you a vagen, ?

Is your great little guy going to get prime beef ? I never let my dog eat table food. That just might be a better choice. I have always felt guilty that Otis each the same zhit everyday until the bag is empty (50lb). Then he gets a new flavor.

I could not live with the smell of a chicken farm. Chicken shat is my nostril kryptonite.

No vegan, but I prepare and cook almost every meal that we eat. Rarely do we spend money on eating out.

No table food. He is skinny and not well fed. Spent three months at SCRAPS. Giving him Kibbles and Bits Savory with Pedigree canned, about 4:1 with 8 to 10 ounces of water 5 times a day. Just under 50 lbs., but really slim.

Again, thanks for the thoughts and advice on proper food for our pets. I will no doubt do the best that we can, and am happy to learn something new and important.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK after careful study, over the last few days, I think that I have come up with a foolproof solution to your dilemma.

If you call the cat a "toad licking monkey waxer" he will keep eating the dog's food, just out of spite.

However (and this is the important part), if you ask the cat a serious question, he will go away and never return.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ZCR1:

Try Temptations (catnip fever flavor), they are like crack for my cats. If it does like those.... it's not a cat, and you've found your problem.

I use them too for treats. He likes it so well, ive had to run him off the counter trying to tear open the package. Now I keep them in a jar with a lid. I just say 'treat' and hes on the couch in seconds from anywhere in the house. this is the first time Ive had to run him off a counter or shelf in 14 years. Hes never messed with anything anywhere hes not supposed to. He wont even go after my food on the couch. He will go for it after he KNOWS im done.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock