Started on: 01-20-2019 11:37 AM
Replies: 5 (178 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 01-22-2019 12:42 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2019 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The flowers are listening, according to new research – well, in a sense, at least.

Scientists have found evidence that plants can actually hear the buzz of passing bees and produce sweeter nectar in response to entice the flying insects in. And flowers are technically their 'ears'.

Based on observations of evening primroses (Oenothera drummondii), the team behind the new study discovered that within minutes of sensing the sound waves of nearby bee wings through flower petals, the concentration of the sugar in the plant's nectar was increased by an average of 20 percent.

The flowers even seemed able to tune out irrelevant background noises, such as the wind.

This capability could well give some plants an evolutionary advantage, say the scientists, maximising their chances of spreading pollen.

"Our results document for the first time that plants can rapidly respond to pollinator sounds in an ecologically relevant way," write the researchers from Tel-Aviv University in Israel.

https://www.sciencealert.co...-hear-say-scientists
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The walls have ears?

No, it's just the flowers.

Even stranger.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"I could while away the hours conferrin' with the flowers"
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2019 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

"I could while away the hours conferrin' with the flowers"

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I can stop calling it my garden and refer to it as my audience?
I am going to seem so less crazy in the neighborhood!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock