Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Where are YOUR tax refund dollars going?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where are YOUR tax refund dollars going? by Tony Kania
Started on: 01-19-2019 12:43 PM
Replies: 17 (394 views)
Last post by: FriendGregory on 01-25-2019 03:16 PM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2019 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know, evil Tony is at it again. So very sad of me to post truths.

Fine then, do not just take me for my word, listen to reporting instead of opinion...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to watch that particular station many years ago.
They were one of the best local news outfits I had ever viewed.
It's good to see they are still doing a good job.
otakudude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are you such a hater?

Can't you see that this is literally 'for the children'?!

</sarcasm off>
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2019 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know, it is often quite telling when you do not hear the responses of certain forum members. Quiet, like a volcano.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2019 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Non-story.
98% of those that get refunds should not be getting a dime back.
just think, if all those refunds went to building something, to better their country and themselves in the long run, say a wall.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 01-19-2019).]

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya all do know the difference between tax refund and tax credit? Tax refund, you pay in a bunch, you get some of it back. Tax credit, you pay in nothing or some and you get some or a bunch that you never earned, and possibly did not deserve but the government made a well intended rule that you can benefit from.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2019 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Huh, I guess I am an internet retard?

Sarcasm. Sarcasm layered really thick.

My taxes are done on a monthly basis.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:My taxes are done on a monthly basis.

You have your own business? Seems like a lot of work to poke at it monthly. Good for you, should reduce surprise!
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2019 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

You have your own business? Seems like a lot of work to poke at it monthly. Good for you, should reduce surprise!

Surprise can still happen. We all know this. I file to keep things in order, ahead of schedule, and on point. We were audited a few months back. Panicked at first, but all was well within a few moments of opening up work already done to prevent this. Literally a non issue because of bookkeeping on our end.

For what it is worth, I know what I owe and pay into it because my hands have ink on them.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
President Reagan tried to get legislation passed that would require taxpayers to not overpay the IRS in order to reduce the refund volume. Those that overwithheld were to be penalized.
He was unsuccessful in his efforts, but it made a lot of sense to me.
It would reduce the cost of tax collection, allow for more accurate revenue estimation and also encourage people to begin to save on their own, rather than relying on the government.
Even though it didn't pass, I began to balance my tax withholding, and saving the money in an interest bearing account. ( Remember those? Banks actually paid you to use your money! Good times!)
It worked out well, I had more control over my finances.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2019 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am 46. I have every pay stub that I have ever earned going back to when I worked at the Detroit News as a news carrier when I was 12.

PFF
System Bot
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:I am 46. I have every pay stub that I have ever earned going back to when I worked at the Detroit News as a news carrier when I was 12.

Good gosh that is a lot of paperwork. I try to keep as little as possible, we were up to a 1/4 of a 2 car garage when I put my foot down and only mortgage payoff statements, and other documents up to ten years.
To be clear, the video was not about tax refunds, it was about tax credits and lots of money being stolen by people that would be illegals, some that are not even in the country.

[This message has been edited by FriendGregory (edited 01-24-2019).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Admittedly, I don't do our taxes, the wife takes care of that but, I do provide guidance when I can. I have managed to convince her that the smaller return we get, the less (of our money) the government got to use interest free. My goal has always been to zero out at tax time.
Every year I light up a burn pile of tax records over seven years old. I enjoy that fire....

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-24-2019).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After getting done figuring out how much I will owe this time, what's left over from what we have set aside for it over the year will probably be enough for my wife and I to go to our favorite restaurant, catch a movie and stop by Coldstone for dessert. Or I could just use it to buy the high output alternator I want for the stereo I'm putting in the Mazda...

Maybe I'll surprise myself though. I might have saved more than I think since I will be claiming one less dependent this year and "over" saved to compensate not knowing how big of a impact that will have. Perhaps I will be able to do both!
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2019 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[i][/i]

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

Good gosh that is a lot of paperwork. I try to keep as little as possible, we were up to a 1/4 of a 2 car garage when I put my foot down and only mortgage payoff statements, and other documents up to ten years.
To be clear, the video was not about tax refunds, it was about tax credits and lots of money being stolen by people that would be illegals, some that are not even in the country.

Not really. It is just pay stubs. I had three stacks of automotive magazines up until a few short years ago that were nearly 8 feet high. I have little else from childhood.

Nearing our third year. Paperwork has not been tremendous. I want it to be.

I figure you to be a rather intelligent fellow. I could have worded the thread differently now that I look at it in retrospect.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2019 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heh, so I'm not the only one who keeps old pay stubs. I still have every pay stub going back to when I got my first civilian job (after leaving the military).

It should be no surprise to anyone that income tax returns are being used as "stealth welfare". That's what a lot of the tax breaks are really about (at least, the ones for poor people). Are people just now realizing this?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2019 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was mentioned earlier about keeping your taxes to near minimum return or just paying by saving. I applaud those that do this. It is really the way it should be done. The government should not earn on your money. You should.

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Heh, so I'm not the only one ...

I still do not have much from my youth, but I got that old red white and blue K Swiss box all taped up.

Kind of cool the memories this thought gave me.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-25-2019).]

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2019 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:Paperwork has not been tremendous. I want it to be.

I know you to be a rather intelligent fellow and from what I can tell, so long as your health holds, you are due to accumulate lots of paperwork. If you have access to a 401K, do that. If no 401K, a Roth. If you have confidence in your area to increase in price as (I believe) the strength of the US dollar goes down, figure out how to get the cheapest properties in the best neighborhood you can afford to rent out. These items will accumulate you a flood of paperwork over time.
We had 9 mortgages briefly, each about an inch thick.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock