Started on: 01-19-2019 11:19 AM
Replies: 20 (377 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 01-21-2019 05:06 PM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2019 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not ask for Boondawg's permission to post today. I apologize.

4 minute rotary phone dial challenge.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Older people often say that kids are so smart, because they take to computers so quickly. This video shows the fallacy of that deduction. It’s all based on one’s realm of experience.

These kids had difficulty with a task that any seven year old could accomplish sixty years ago. They didn’t even know what a dial tone was.

I was twelve years old the first time I used a "touch tone" phone. I thought I was living the George Jetson life.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-19-2019).]

Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see the problem,

They can't find the little green "Send" button. I'm sure the dial tone is a complete mystery as well.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone should have called the phone. These kids would have jumped out the window when they heard a real phone ringing at full volume.

Edit to add, I remember the days of operators at Bell with the patch cables. Now I'm really giving away my age.

Edit a 2nd time....I said patch cable which is a modern network term. I meant phone cable which was the 1/4" cable

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-19-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Someone should have called the phone. These kids would have jumped out the window when they heard a real phone ringing at full volume.

Edit to add, I remember the days of operators at Bell with the patch cables. Now I'm really giving away my age.

Edit a 2nd time....I said patch cable which is a modern network term. I meant phone cable which was the 1/4" cable

I think we have a member here whose wife used to be one of those switchboard operators.

Also: When I was a kid, a 1/4" TS plug was called a "phone" plug and an RCA connector was called a "phono" plug, because that is what they were for.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-19-2019).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2019 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Older people often say that kids are so smart, because they take to computers so quickly. This video shows the fallacy of that deduction. It’s all based on one’s realm of experience.

These kids had difficulty with a task that any seven year old could accomplish sixty years ago. They didn’t even know what a dial tone was.

I was twelve years old the first time I used a "touch tone" phone. I thought I was living the George Jetson life.

This is natural. as you'd not know what it was if you did not live when it was in use.
video's like this one are STUPID. even more so, than what they are making those in it out as.
Old folks. pull this crap all the time.
kids today, can't tune a carb. or set points, or drive a model T.
why would they? it is skills they'll most likely never use nor. need..
but , ya. video's of people not knowing simple things that they've never been in contact with makes them stupid, to most viewers that the elevator doesn't leave the ground floor.
Heck. you could most likely hand a 8-18 year old a flip phone and ask them to text you a message and get the dear in the headlights look.
Outdated ,not used anymore technology is this way for a reason. it's limits were found and something better came about. and by better I mean faster and easier to use. or that function was made to be done automaticly. like engine timing that on most brass era vehicles you had to control while driving.
Simple minded get kicks out of video's like the one above.
the VERY simple minded
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2019 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Click to show
Simple minded get kicks out of video's like the one above.
the VERY simple minded

Noted.

Edit: That is you third shot at me in four short days. When can I hit back? Or, should I just sit back and take it?

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-19-2019).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2019 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
Noted.

Edit: That is you third shot at me in four short days. When can I hit back? Or, should I just sit back and take it?

How is it a SHOT at you. ??
did you produce that trash?? if so. then yes take it as a shot at you.
cupcake nothing I've posted here, has been a shot at you. I don't even think of you when I post.
seems you have a guilt complex.
I wasn't even thinking of you when I posted in this thread.
sorry. do you need a safe space. oh and yes that was a shot at you.
THE 1ST ONE.
Why did I think anything would have changed here. same children. different day.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 01-20-2019).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a shot as well Tony. Apparently calling you simple minded is not really a shot....
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2019 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

I saw a shot as well Tony. Apparently calling you simple minded is not really a shot....

Shocking.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2019 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am happy. Thanks for the reply back.

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Click to show

Spoken like an educated man.

Listen here, how do you keep an azzhole in suspense?

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-20-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Grandparents still had rotary phones until about 10 years ago, one is still mounted on the wall, they only upgraded because they wanted an answering machine. I had to be taught how to dial them when I was ~10 years old in the 90's, I was used to corded push button phones.

The concept isn't at all intuitive, and dialing 7 or 10 digit numbers takes forever.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
My Grandparents still had rotary phones until about 10 years ago, ...

I have a 1910 (or so) candlestick rotary phone modernized to work on today's land lines.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(snip)

Listen here, how do you keep an azzhole in suspense?

DEPENDS
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2019 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

DEPENDS

I have never gotten that answer.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TRUSS
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe you should ask Boondawg for permission.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 01-21-2019).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2019 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Maybe you should ask Boondawg for permission.

Not directed at any one person in particular. More of a generalized statement.

I never want to silence Boondawg. Nor anyone else. I only want to speak freely. I enjoy his copy and paste. I have mentioned it many times.

As I write this, there is a grey squirrel with a boner chasing around another grey squirrel. She is trying to feed on the sunflower seeds, and he is on an absolute mission to procreate.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everybody is offended by the fact that everybody is offended, and that offends me.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2019 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, hell

I knew a 30-something a few years ago that couldnt read a clock. If it wasnt digital he had no idea what the hands meant, and worse didnt care. His whole attitude was "its so old it belongs in the trash anyway "
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

"its so old it belongs in the trash anyway "

HEY! Are you talking to me?!? 'cause if you are...well...er...
I'm old and lord knows I've spent plenty of time in the trash...so...uh...carry on.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock