Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  2020 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 - Most Powerful Mustang Ever Made!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
2020 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 - Most Powerful Mustang Ever Made! by Boondawg
Started on: 01-17-2019 09:59 PM
Replies: 5 (168 views)
Last post by: rinselberg on 01-26-2019 12:12 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2019 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impressive performance numbers, I'm sure the price will reflect the numbers as well.
Styling isn't to my personal taste but would love to take one for a test drive.
No, I would not bring one home, just like to be able to say I tried one out. The chances of that happening are remote and not happening. 😜

Rams
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2019 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did they carry over the flat plane crankshaft geometry? From the previous super go-fast Mustang version, whatever model name it was.

It's the only question I could think of.

Now queue up the automobile ad (40 seconds) that ends with one of my favorite tag lines:
https://youtu.be/0TctsFedYYM

"It doesn't have to make sense."

But that's Kia Motors America. Not FoMoCo.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-18-2019).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the looks of later model Mustangs myself. Performance sounds OK, but 11s sounds a bit slow to me by todays standards. My 2004 Dodge Magnum wagon did mid 12s 13 years ago. Dont the Hellcat/Demon do 9s. 3.6 second 0-60 is not that impressive to me. My friends 2013 Bentley does that, and its still a full second slower than a Tesla. I'll be looking forward to a street race when they come out. The Hellcats stopped racing me at National Trails a year ago. Its a toss up in 1/4 mile depending on their launch and reaction time, but they dont stand a chance in 1/8 mile race.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-20-2019).]

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2019 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Did they carry over the flat plane crankshaft geometry? From the previous super go-fast Mustang version, whatever model name it was.

It's the only question I could think of.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the GT500 used the Voodoo engine, but without the flat plane crank.

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2019 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the GT500 used the Voodoo engine, but without the flat plane crank.

Your memory lines up with my Google-ing; to wit:

What makes the Voodoo unique (and beloved) is its flat-plane crankshaft. Flat-plane V8s have a different firing order than traditional cross-planes, giving them a unique sound, and they generally tend to rev higher, since the crankshaft itself is lighter. The Voodoo spins up to 8250 rpm and sounds downright evil.

The GT500 engine gets a more-traditional cross-plane crankshaft. “You don't really need it,” Widmann said. “Because you’ve got such a short runner off the supercharger. . . you don’t get a benefit going to a flat plane.”

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500: All the Engineering Details
Chris Perkins for Road And Track; January 16, 2019.
https://www.roadandtrack.co...engineering-details/

It looks like a very complete writeup.

There will have to be a special edition of the famous TV game show, "Jeopardy for Gearheads", and I will have to be selected as a player, before this could even possibly become an actual "plus" for me...

I like to daydream.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock