Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  How many eggs can you safely eat per day?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How many eggs can you safely eat per day? by 2.5
Started on: 01-16-2019 04:57 PM
Replies: 27 (434 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-20-2019 09:43 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been eating 2 whole boiled eggs per day most weekdays, sometimes one egg but usually at least one...

"Eggs are an excellent low-calorie way to get protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other healthful compounds into your diet. One whole large egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein in just 70 calories. Eggs also contain varying amounts of 13 essential vitamins and minerals. But how many eggs is it safe to eat per day?"

It seems there is no concensus. The concern seems to be the cholesterol level or effect.

So one source says
"After many years of criticism and bad publicity, eggs are again accepted in nutritional circles, and it is generally agreed that up to 3 whole eggs can be safely eaten each day, and 2 to 6 of the cholesterol-rich yolks a week."

I don't understand how that math works.

another:
"Eating 1 egg per day is consistent with a healthy diet, and is unlikely to have any significant impact on the risk of developing cardiovascular disease among healthy men and women. In fact, eating 2 or 3 eggs per day is highly unlikely to increase the risk of heart disease in the majority of the population, although there may be some risk for people with diabetes.

That being said, some studies suggest that eating 5 or more eggs per week may have adverse health consequences, including an increased risk of heart failure in men, or breast cancer in women. However, the research is weak, and any possible increased risk is likely outweighed by the healthful nutrients found in eggs."

-

Anybody have input? I have heard I shouldn't eat 2 yolks, 5 days a week. The whites apparently are fine in mass quantities.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-16-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then there is this:

"It's true that when you compare egg yolks to other foods they are relatively high in cholesterol, as the average egg contains anywhere between 190 and 215 milligrams. Cholesterol is something that many people should be concerned about, but not so much in the case of eggs. Studies have shown that regularly eating eggs can actually lower your low density lipids (that's "bad" cholesterol to us lay people) and raises high density lipids.

The dangers of a high cholesterol diet may also have been exaggerated in the media as some studies have proven that people who maintain a low cholesterol diet still may have elevated cholesterol levels. This is because cholesterol actually serves several important functions in the body, and when you don't get enough, it makes its own. In fact the liver produces about two thirds of the body's cholesterol, with dietary intake having very little impact on the overall levels. The benefits of cholesterol, especially from a natural source like an egg yolk, have been down played, while the risks may have been terribly blown out of proportion.

Limiting dietary cholesterol intake is important but the real danger comes from saturated fats and trans fats. These two are greater factors in increased cholesterol than any typical intake of egg yolks."

https://www.bodybuilding.co...gg-yolks-anyway.html

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-16-2019).]

williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Luke say's 50.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eat all the eggs you want!

But keep it at a pound of bacon per day, just to keep the cholesterol in check.

(Actually, cholesterol is the fuel that the cells run on - it's the fuel for our body.
Ask any mitochondria.)
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Anybody have input? I have heard I shouldn't eat 2 yolks, 5 days a week. The whites apparently are fine in mass quantities.

FAR too many variables to make a general statement like; "You should only eat X number of eggs per week."

What is your age?
What sex are you?
What race / ethnicity are you?
What is your current general health?
What is your health history?
Are you genetically predisposed to atherosclerosis or coronary heart disease?
What are your current LDL / HDL/ A1C levels?
What medications are you taking on a regular basis?
What is your body type, (thin, medium, large, obese)?
How much exercise and physical activity do regularly engage in?
How much food containing saturated / unsaturated fat do you regularly eat?

The list goes on and on....

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-16-2019).]

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye

13818 posts
Member since Mar 2006

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-16-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
U guys are awesome lmao

shem
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2019 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Luke say's 50.

Yes, but he also suffered from a serious failure to communicate.
He couldn't even tell the difference between Boss Keen's ditch and Boss Shorty's yard...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2019 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

FAR too many variables to make a general statement like; "You should only eat X number of eggs per week."

What is your age?
What sex are you?
What race / ethnicity are you?
What is your current general health?
What is your health history?
Are you genetically predisposed to atherosclerosis or coronary heart disease?
What are your current LDL / HDL/ A1C levels?
What medications are you taking on a regular basis?
What is your body type, (thin, medium, large, obese)?
How much exercise and physical activity do regularly engage in?
How much food containing saturated / unsaturated fat do you regularly eat?

The list goes on and on....

Sure. Maybe there is a chart somewhere?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2019 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Then there is this:

"It's true that when you compare egg yolks to other foods they are relatively high in cholesterol, as the average egg contains anywhere between 190 and 215 milligrams. Cholesterol is something that many people should be concerned about, but not so much in the case of eggs. Studies have shown that regularly eating eggs can actually lower your low density lipids (that's "bad" cholesterol to us lay people) and raises high density lipids.

The dangers of a high cholesterol diet may also have been exaggerated in the media as some studies have proven that people who maintain a low cholesterol diet still may have elevated cholesterol levels. This is because cholesterol actually serves several important functions in the body, and when you don't get enough, it makes its own. In fact the liver produces about two thirds of the body's cholesterol, with dietary intake having very little impact on the overall levels. The benefits of cholesterol, especially from a natural source like an egg yolk, have been down played, while the risks may have been terribly blown out of proportion.

Limiting dietary cholesterol intake is important but the real danger comes from saturated fats and trans fats. These two are greater factors in increased cholesterol than any typical intake of egg yolks."

https://www.bodybuilding.co...gg-yolks-anyway.html
This is part of why newer "studies" paid mostly by Big Pharm what to push Statins on Millions more of people and drug co's etc making Billions of $. Never mind Statins have bad side effects.

If you think doctors restrict cholesterol now w/ < ~ 150 points... Many people get push to have < ~ 70 points. Is a bad joke that most can't reach even w/ strongest Statin available.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2019 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wifey works to test cholesterol as a contractor. I am her "control subject" to test the machines before an event. Spot on and consistently well within the bounds of healthy.

I have been eating the whites of eggs religiously for over 30 years. When I am active, or in recovery like now, I consume 4 to six a day, 5 days a week. I will maybe have a total of 3 to 4 yolks during a week dipped in toast. Never the entire yolk. The extra protein is something that I require. Most here know that I am extremely active and handicapable.

I have spent my entire life active. All should. Being healthy not only helps the body, but also the mind.

And yes, my boy Luke can eat 50 eggs. (My favorite movie.)
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2019 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I'm eating healthier I have about a dozen eggs a day for about 3 to 4 weeks at a time then I eat junk food for 3 to 4 weeks. I know the eggs make me feel better.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2019 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm Hold my beer
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2019 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Hmm Hold my beer

Boy, I really love deviled eggs.
I wonder how many halves I could gobble down...maybe 20 halves?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2019 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps the question should be "How many eggs a day can I eat and still be around people"?
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2019 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people are capable of eating too many....
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2019 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember reading that eggs now have less cholesterol and more Vitamin D, thanks to changes in how the chickens are fed. That may have played a part in the renewed acceptance of eggs.

https://www.webmd.com/chole...-in-eggs-usda-says#1

Edit to add: Tons of Anarchy, HAH!

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 01-17-2019).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2019 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Boy, I really love deviled eggs.
I wonder how many halves I could gobble down...maybe 20 halves?

I do too, I usually only get them around holidays, some people make them bland though.
I mostly like good flavorful ones only (believe it or not)
I also like when there is an olive or a jalapeno on top.
Maybe someday I should try making my own.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-18-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2019 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do too.
Maybe someday I should try making my own.

And you can make them exactly like you like!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2019 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just haven't got the patience for peeling boiled eggs.
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2019 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2 words: Poached, dude!

I have made egg-salad sandwiches that way!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2019 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2 words: Poached, dude!

I have made egg-salad sandwiches that way!

Years ago, I was dating a girl who raised pheasants and used to make me poached pheasant eggs, but I have never tried, myself. I should have married her. Seriously.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2019 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm like that with fish with bones, and crab, and the shrimp with the shell still on, and oranges.

Eggs don't take long, I maoinly like how portable they are . I think it depends how you boil them. If you cool them in cooler water after boiling it supposedly shocks the shell so its looser. Plus store bought egg's shells are quite thin these days.

(now I feel like we are on a cooking show forum heh, and I don't even cook.)

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-18-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2019 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cook every day.
The women don’t like their own cooking at my house.

The most difficult thing I’ve ever cooked invoking eggs?
Creme Brûlée.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2019 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I cook every day.
The women don’t like their own cooking at my house.

Ha, they trained you well. So, you bring home the bacon and cook it to boot ?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2019 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Ha, they trained you well. So, you bring home the bacon and cook it to boot ?

I do indeed.
My Mother refused to send a man into the world that was going to demand stereotypical roles of a woman.
She hated that women were saddled with certain chores simply because they were women.
I was born in 1960.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2019 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont eat them that often myself. When I do, I usually make 4 because its not worth the mess and trouble to make less. 2 eggs would be like taking 2 bites of a burger.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock