Started on: 01-12-2019 02:33 PM
Replies: 42 (640 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 07-03-2020 11:55 AM
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Open discussion.
Would appreciate civility and no snarking.
Everyone has an opinion, and is entitled to it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some comments from politicians and news pundits have brought to my mind a thought I would like to share.

We have all heard them say "90% of the drugs coming across our southern border come through points of entry"......

- Doesn't this reinforce the notion that neither political party has taken border security seriously?

- How is that percentage determined?
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m in favor of a more modern solution to solve the problem of illegal entry.
With improved electronic monitoring & tracking, no one would ever raise a fuss about the cost or “humanitarian” implications.

It could all be handled under the public radar, with nary a complaint.

The concept of a “wall” is being politically used as a divider.
Not between us & them, but us & us.

EDIT: I bet if the President anounced that he would capitulate and settle for 5 billion in improved surveillance & tracking equipment, he’d get his money, and look like The Good Guy to both sides.

Who knows, maybe I’M the stable genius!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-12-2019).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple. Draw a line. Cross it, get shot.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

EDIT: I bet if the President anounced that he would capitulate and settle for 5 billion in improved surveillance & tracking equipment, he’d get his money, and look like The Good Guy to both sides.

Who knows, maybe I’M the stable genius!

Boonie,
You may be a genius (or not) . Won't attempt to make that distinction.
But, I'll take that bet. The Dems currently in leadership roles won't give the President anything that could be construed as a victory.

Rams
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Boonie,
You may be a genius (or not) . Won't attempt to make that distinction.

Rams

I believe the distinction is not wether I’m a genius (in my opinion that’s a given) or not, but if I’m stable.
That’s the tricky part.

P.S. I believe they would if it made them look like the “reasonable” ones.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find it hard to believe that anyone could honestly argue against a controlled border, though I know that some do. I think the question is how to control the border.

In my opinion, a physical barrier is more absolute with lower required maintenance and thus over time is far less costly than any high tech solution. Who here would enjoy living next to a prison which was guarded only by radar and drones?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19429 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Drones on the Border: Efficacy and Privacy Implications

In response to President Donald Trump’s call for a border wall, some members of Congress have instead offered a “virtual wall”—ocean-to-ocean border surveillance with technology, especially unmanned aircraft known as drones. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) already operates a fleet of nine unmanned aircraft. Although drones have been widely used in foreign battlefields, they have failed to help CBP apprehend illegal border crossers and seize drugs. Drones have led to only 0.5 percent of apprehensions at a cost of $32,000 per arrest.

At the same time, drones undermine Americans’ privacy. Their surveillance records the daily lives of Americans living along the border, and because CBP regularly uses its drones to support the operations of other federal agencies as well as state and local police, its drones allow for government surveillance nationwide with minimal oversight and without warrants. CBP should wind down its drone program and, in the meantime, establish more robust privacy protections.

There are already balloons with radar and cameras along the border, but that solution is obviously insufficient, as the problem persists.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-12-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I find it hard to believe that anyone could honestly argue against a controlled border, though I know that some do. I think the question is how to control the border.

In my opinion, a physical barrier is more absolute with lower required maintenance and thus over time is far less costly than any high tech solution. Who here would enjoy living next to a prison which was guarded only by radar and drones?

I believe this isn’t (and never has been) about safety, or stemming some foreign tide.
I think it’s just a shiny object presented to occupy our attention.
It’s definitely no emergency.
It will come and go, and a new one will take it’s place.

As it is when watching a magician, look opposite of where you are being shown to see the trick.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

I agree...

When I moved to the USA all those years ago, and every single time I have entered since, it was LEGALLY and with respect to the laws of the land.

These people who think they can just show up, take what they want, and force us to live to THEIR culture need to be kicked right the hell back where they came from.

Better yet, just shoot them to stop them getting in, in the 1st place.

I am all for border walls...with machine-gun, snipers, and rocket nests on top.

1,000 years ago people built castles with walls to keep the unwelcome out. It worked. Dont see why we arent doing the same thing now.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-12-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe this isn’t (and never has been) about safety, or stemming some foreign tide.
I think it’s just a shiny object presented to occupy our attention.
It’s definitely no emergency.
It will come and go, and a new one will take it’s place.

As it is when watching a magician, look opposite of where you are being shown to see the trick.

I don't think that you are saying that all the lives lost each year to crimes ranging from human trafficking to drugs and outright murder are acceptable, so how do we prevent the tragedy?
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think that you are saying that all the lives lost each year to crimes ranging from human trafficking to drugs and outright murder are acceptable, so how do we prevent the tragedy?

I hope that’s because I didn’t say that at all.

All those crimes are committed by a wide range of people, and not all from across the border.
A wall may indeed lessen that number by some percentage, or not.
For a lot of them, their first (and maybe only crime) may be crossing the border itself.

I believe in a secure border.
But nothing will ever be 100% secure.

I believe money for a more secure border can be better spend on methods other than a wall, which has been politically morphed into more then just a wall. It is now some kind of “boogie man” (despite a lot of “wall” already being there for quite some time).

O men, let’s be real; everyone understands the purpose of a good fence.
What could possibly be the problem, presented that way?

In my opinion, the President handled this problem poorly.
Handled differently, he could have gotten the more secure border he sez he wanted.
I believe his ego got in the way.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is definitely an emergency.

While some may carry their bleeding heart on their sleeve, I am adamant about a wall. Yes, call it what you want, but I want a wall.

I have also given reasons as to why in several other threads and feel like I have made what point I have to offer. But, calling it "not an emergency" is merely the feelings some have. Not the facts.

Who's ****ing feelings do I need to apologize to after I wrote words? Come on meow, I know someone shat purple twinkies because Tony Kania posted an opinion piece.

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

He, he. More truth to this than most want to accept. Rose colored marijuana bowl and all. :

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-12-2019).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe in a secure border.
But nothing will ever be 100% secure.
I believe money for a more secure border can be better spend on methods other than a wall, which has been politically morphed into more then just a wall.

Whether I agree or not, what are your suggested methods?

Edited: Be advised, I have lived, served, flown and guarded the most secure border in the world, between the Koreas. I agree, no border is totally secure but, the only way IMHO to totally secure a boundary is with a death sentence and some will still try to breach it.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-12-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whether I agree or not, what are your suggested methods?

Rams

I believe I’ve already stated that, based on what little knowledge I have with electronic surveillance & tracking.

Maybe someone with more experience in that field could chime in and shed some light on the details of how that would or wouldn’t work, or the difficulty’s involved in implementing said systems.

What do they use at Area 51 that a Jeep of armed dudes show up as soon as you cross a line?

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe I’ve already stated that, based on what little knowledge I have with electronic surveillance & tracking.

Maybe someone with more experience in that field could chime in and shed some light on the details of how that would or wouldn’t work, or the difficulty’s involved in implementing said systems.

What do they use at Area 51 that a Jeep of armed dudes show up as soon as you cross a line?

Might work on a limited scale. How long is that border again?
Resources have to be available to respond, people need to get paid to be on stand by and to react.
Satellites, reaction resources and personnel ain't cheap.
All that said, such things would still be necessary with a barrier wall.

Might work on a limited scale, how long is that border?

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-12-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I posted above regarding balloons and drones with cameras and radar: //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/123219.html#p7

X-ray is used at the POEs. I noticed years ago, walking out of TJ that the ceiling was studded with microphones.

What high tech would stop people from walking or driving across the desert?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of reports on a new "Lattice" virtual border wall technology, which has undergone some live or real world testing along the U.S. border.

The brief report:
"Virtual border wall technology under advanced development"
iHLS (Israeli Homeland Security); a private company; June 16, 2018.
https://i-hls.com/archives/83557

The longer report
"Inside Palmer Luckey's bid to build a [virtual] border wall"
Steven Levy for Wired(.com); June 11, 2018.
https://www.wired.com/story...anduril-border-wall/

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-12-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

A couple of reports on a new "Lattice" virtual border wall technology, which has undergone some live or real world testing along the U.S. border.

The brief report:

The longer report

That sounds like promising technology. They should put it all along the wall.
Just like balloons and drones, it might let us know when someone has crossed the border, but will not stop anyone.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need a force field, set to allow anything to pass except a human being.
Gee, with that technology we could even beam them back home.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

The brief report:

The longer report

Another excellent example, Israel. They have border security down pretty well.

Rams
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Walls and fences are deterrents. While they are not 100% efficient they stop most people at that point.
Surveillance and tracking requires someone to go find them. This is all after the crime has been committed and in the long run will cost more.
While waiting for the offender to be apprehended you are vulnerable to more laws being broken.
If you stop the majority at the wall then that cost in money and harm to people stop there.
If we armed and patrolled the wall then confrontation will escalate until those less tolerant to doing the right thing will shut it down.

One thing is apparent if you look back at the past presidents they were all aware that we have a problem at the border, they have all tried and in my opinion failed.
Should we have a wall, yes I believe at this time we need to do something and the cost in nothing compared to what we could lose if we don't build it.
So build the wall, put the citizens first and then filter those that would make us better and leave those that would bring us down on the cold side of the wall.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A wall will save hundreds of lives each year in this state alone, as I mentioned here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/123155-4.html#p127

So, the question is: how much are those lives worth? Are they worth less because they are not Americans? Are thy worthless because they are not America's responsibility? What level of human suffering is acceptable?

I am not worried about the drug addicts, they accept the risk when they pick up the needle. But those who die in the desert are the genuine refugees, who have endured such horrific conditions at home that they would rather risk the known danger of the coyotes (believe me they know how dangerous it is) and leave everything behind to seek the promised land. Yes, America is such a wonderful place that they willingly risk their lives to get here.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Throughout modern history Marxists have absolutely LOVED walls, barbed wire, guard towers and minefields....

...but only to keep people from escaping their totalitarian rule......Not getting IN.

If the Marxists in the United States ever succeed in getting what they really want, there will be walls around every border and port in this country faster than you can blink.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-12-2019).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I pay my taxes monthly. I want some of that tax money to go a wall.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That sounds like promising technology. They should put it all along the wall.
Just like balloons and drones, it might let us know when someone has crossed the border, but will not stop anyone.

Virtual walls.

Great at stopping virtual intruders.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The drones and electronic surveillance will just tell you where they are and which way they're headed (theyre in mexico and coming north). Duh! We got that figured out already. Then what? Border patrol is dispatched to catch em, n they claim asylum. Theyre still gettin in that way duh! Theyd have to climb over the wall if there was one. Yall've heard my land mine border wall- but what about those automated machine gun sentries they had in aliens( yes the 2nd movie),those'd work too. Even better- put the robots after the land mine border. Nobodys dumb enough to cross that, mmm nah some would still try. But those are the ones we definitely dont want here lol.

Yes It sucks we cant let everybody in all at once to make their lives better, their countries definitely suck. It Has to be moderated or our country will then be like their country. They know in their country the govt, cops, and militaries are corrupted, but then they bring that mindset here. I say we take colonies again- we could manage it with less corruption then they can.

I know a ton of undocumented people here, most are good folk and just looking to be in a better place w better people. Ive heard some really f@cked up stories of what people went through to come here. I see both sides of the argument very clearly but we still need a wall. Hell most of the undocumented folk I know support the wall. They cant go home anyways.

Be wise, colonize!

shem
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Another excellent example, Israel. They have border security down pretty well.

Indeed. But let me clarify. The "Lattice" virtual border wall technology is being developed by a U.S. company. A startup that is headquartered close by (to me) in Silicon Valley. It's called "Anduril".

Besides [Palmer] Luckey, who gave money to an alt-right group and donated to Trump’s inaugural committee, the team includes former executives from the secretive data-crunching company Palantir, whose work for many government agencies has raised alarms about intrusive surveillance. And Anduril’s lead investor is Founders Fund, the VC firm headed by Peter Thiel, a prominent Trump supporter and the guy who shut down Gawker [with a lawsuit].

One of Anduril's competitors in virtual border wall technology is an older and more established company called "Elbit". Elbit (Elbit Systems) is an Israeli entity.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-13-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They use names from JRR Tolkien's writings.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2019 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Concrete and steel cannot take a pay off.

There will be no impeaching a wall.

A wall will not electronically go down when the wind blows.

A wall does not need to be plugged in.

A wall will deter the ilk.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-13-2019).]

ZCR1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZCR1Send a Private Message to ZCR1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monitoring technology = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8FNVsbnwWE

Remember, you only need one foot in the us to claim asylum (true or not) and get released into the U.S. with a pay check on only your word that you'll return to have your case heard.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Oh, no. I am not a security guard. I am a security monitor." ROTFLMFAO
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tracking and drones track them after they have crossed. A wall stops them from crossing.

In this instance the people the jeeps show up to are housed, or released depending on the circumstance, most never manage to make it to their court hearing for some reason.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Concrete and steel cannot take a pay off.

There will be no impeaching a wall.

A wall will not electronically go down when the wind blows.

A wall does not need to be plugged in.

A wall will deter the ilk.

The wall wont commit suicide by shooting itself in the back of the head 3 times
Rageaholic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RageaholicSend a Private Message to RageaholicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Building the wall is the most humanitarian thing that can be done for both the U.S. and Mexico.
Trigger Warning: Language

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A border wall has been called immoral by it's opponents.

Does that mean that those same people will become Right to Life supporters?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2019 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rageaholic:

Building the wall is the most humanitarian thing that can be done for both the U.S. and Mexico.
Trigger Warning: Language
Click to show

Even more relevant two years later.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2019 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

20794 posts
Member since Dec 2008
I would like to share the Democrats view on the subject of our borders...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kOREA_1547567645
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2020 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should old forum-threads be forgot,
and never brought to mind?

Not as long as I'm on the "job."

California-based Anduril Industries has been awarded a federal contract to... let my "friend" Nick Miroff, a staff writer for the Washington Post, explain:

The five-year agreement between U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Anduril Industries calls for the company to deploy hundreds of solar-powered mobile surveillance towers designed to operate in rugged locations. With cameras and thermal imaging, they detect moving objects and feed an artificial-intelligence system capable of distinguishing among animals, humans and vehicles, sending location and mapping information right to the cellphones of U.S. patrol agents.

Miroff continues with what many are likely to perceive as an obvious question:

The effectiveness of the Anduril system in pilot programs so far, and the administration’s deepening commitment to the technology, raises an obvious — if awkward — question for homeland security officials as Trump spends billions of taxpayer dollars to speed up his border wall project. If the Anduril system [called "Lattice"] can spot migrants and smugglers from miles away and guide U.S. agents right to them, what is the point of building a costly physical barrier in isolated border areas where there are few crossings?

I guess that raises the more or less obvious question for federal decision makers, 'Do you want Lattice on that Border Wall?"

Border security experts and Anduril executives say the Lattice system is a breakthrough in border technology. The company claims the artificial-intelligence software is capable of distinguishing between an animal and a human with 97 percent accuracy, reducing the number of times agents respond to sensors triggered by cattle, deer, peccary and other large mammals wandering the borderlands.

The system does not use facial recognition or other personal-identification technology, minimizing the privacy concerns typically associated with the deployment of powerful government surveillance equipment across large open spaces. It is designed primarily for use in remote border regions with few people, not urban areas with more crossings, to provide agents with what the company calls “wide area understanding.”

Say "Hello" to Palmer Luckey:

Anduril’s founder, 27-year-old Palmer Luckey, sold his previous company, Oculus, to Facebook for $3 billion in 2014. He was forced out at Facebook in 2017 after a donation to a pro-Trump group angered co-workers, but he denied that politics got him fired.

Luckey, who grew up in Southern California’s Orange County, cultivates a nerd-warrior image, dressing in flip-flops and Hawaiian shirts while running the company he named after a sword in the “Lord of the Rings” series. Venture capital firms recently poured another $200 million into Anduril, which is now valued at nearly $2 billion, the company said Wednesday.

The complete report is a "read." My copy-and-paste here is only about 10 or 15 percent of the entire text. There are also some photographs.

"Trump administration hires tech firm to build a virtual border wall, an idea Democrats have praised"
Nick Miroff for the Washington Post; July 2, 2020.
https://www.washingtonpost....2530208bd_story.html
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2020 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen it referred to as a "Virtual Wall".
Wall:
any of various permanent upright constructions having a length much greater than the thickness and presenting a continuous surface except where pierced by doors, windows, etc.: used for shelter, protection, or privacy, or to subdivide interior space, to support floors, roofs, or the like, to retain earth, to fence in an area, etc.
Usually walls. a rampart raised for defensive purposes.
Physical structure built to keep something or someone in or something or someone out

This line of sensors does none of the above. They simply let the Border Patrol know when something or someone has already gotten in. Closing the gate after the lion has gotten in is tail wagging the dog. Keep the friggin gate shut and you won't need the damn things.

It's like taking the door off your home but having a video camera to record who it was that came in during the night and killed your family and stole everything you own.

I'm sure those components will bring good salvage $$$ down in Ciudad Acuna, Nuevo Leon, and Ciudad Juarez...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock