Started on: 01-11-2019 12:08 PM
Replies: 11 (222 views)
Last post by: Daryl M on 01-12-2019 01:22 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.abc15.com/news/...rnment-shutdown-ends

“Today, I requested that my pay be withheld until the partial government shutdown is over, and I cosponsored legislation to block Members of Congress from receiving a paycheck when a budget and funding bills aren’t completed by the start of the fiscal year,” Sen. McSally said.

“I also just introduced legislation to pay federal law enforcement officers as they continue to serve during the partial shutdown. I don’t believe Members of Congress should get paid while those who keep us safe, like our border patrol agents and CBP officers at our ports of entry, continue to work tirelessly without pay not knowing how they’ll afford their rent and support their families. Let’s break the gridlock and find a path forward to secure our border and fund the government.”

If I were a legislator, I would be ashamed to accept pay until my job was done. I am sick of the entire "continuing resolution" non budget thing.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I heard yesterday that the FDA stopped inspecting due to the shutdown.
Really?
No contingency for food safety?
I don't think the government understands what it is for.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Really?

You think that's bad? The real tragedy is this one. This could cause violent insurrection.

I can't imagine that the FDA could stop inspections. That would leave hundreds, if not thousands of trucks sitting at farms and docks instantly. That would bring commerce to its knees in a matter of a day or two.
I managed a fleet of produce trucks for seven years (I must have broken a mirror) and I can guarantee you that trucks do not get unloaded without pay and buyers do not pay without inspections, not every single load is inspected, but many are.

There are games that buyers will play with produce brokers, it is a dirty business. One tool in that game is holding a truck (perishable load, remember), waiting for the FDA.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-11-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As if the breweries can't bottle and store the beer until approval is secured.....

And if it's an IPA, no loss if they dump it!

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-11-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

As if the breweries can't bottle and store the beer until approval is secured.....

Well yeah, but with all of these people out of work, they need beer now! Americans should not suffer needlessly.

I wholeheartedly agree.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2019 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder when the term “Public Servant” as a job description lost its meaning?
Feeding ones family is not a game.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Really?

I deal with the FDA on a regular basis as part of my profession.

The FDA IS still inspecting "high risk" products, (both food and medical / pharmaceutical), but have scaled back other routine periodic inspections.

Despite some folks imagination, FDA inspectors do not stand by 24/7/365 in food production factories ticking off things on a clipboard. They conduct periodic audits and inspections, generally once a year or less, notwithstanding other problems such as a disease outbreak or verified reports of hazardous contamination.

The Department of Agriculture has said its inspections of meat, poultry and processed eggs will continue, and that 89 percent of its food safety employees are still working.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which helps with tainted food outbreaks, is not affected by the partial shutdown.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-11-2019).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

I deal with the FDA on a regular basis as part of my profession.

The FDA IS still inspecting "high risk" products, (both food and medical / pharmaceutical), but have scaled back other routine periodic inspections.

Despite some folks imagination, FDA inspectors do not stand by 24/7/365 in food production factories ticking off things on a clipboard. They conduct periodic audits and inspections, generally once a year or less, notwithstanding other problems such as a disease outbreak or verified reports of hazardous contamination.

The Department of Agriculture has said its inspections of meat, poultry and processed eggs will continue, and that 89 percent of its food safety employees are still working.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which helps with tainted food outbreaks, is not affected by the partial shutdown.

Thanks for the good info.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2019 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Sure they can, HEATHEN...straight into my fridge !!!!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, but you're used to that stuff that passes for beer up there....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-11-2019).]

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the good info.

You're welcome.

It's sometimes hard for some folks to realize that the FDA is not responsible for inspecting each and every item of food that we purchase.

They set up minimum operational guidelines and procedures that food processors and medical companies must create and follow, and they periodically audit and inspect companies to see that they are following those procedures, but the FDA, the Department of Agriculture and the CDC combined could never reasonably have the budgets or manpower to put an inspector in every company for every day and every shift.....and it was never intended to be that way.

During this partial government shutdown, the FDA has (I think wisely), temporarily suspended routine inspections of "low risk" manufacturers and producers. It really doesn't make sense to put urgency on inspecting the "Crispy Cracker Factory" or the jelly bean company right now unless an obvious problem arises.

Most of the alarmist stuff like "FDA has suspended inspections" is political propaganda from the liberal, leftist media intended to scare the populace.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-11-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The more we allow the government to provide for us, the more we are held hostage. At some point, the government becomes the master and the people become the servants. That is exactly the opposite of what our founders intended.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock