Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Seems like more lurkers and alot less talkers in OT these days? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Seems like more lurkers and alot less talkers in OT these days? by 2.5
Started on: 01-11-2019 10:08 AM
Replies: 190 (3017 views)
Last post by: randye on 02-09-2019 09:01 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else think so?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about Lurkers, since they leave no trace of their lurking.

Fewer Talkers? Absolutely. That has been an obvious and always declining trend for some years now.

Some of that downsizing of the number of Talkers was inevitable. But some of it was "man-made."

There are person(s) here who act like they have permission from the forum's owner and moderator to use member on member predatory tactics in their effort to impose a top-down agenda and a privileged and protected point of view or "party" alignment upon the Off Topic discussions. It even extends beyond the Off Topic Topics that are (properly) check marked as Political. But Political, first and foremost.

What are "member on member predatory tactics"..?

Gaslighting and coarseness. In other words, "I" don't agree with your ideas or opinions about this topic (whatever it be) so I am going to insult and name call directly against "you" in whatever vulgar, personally offensive and Posting Rules Violating way that "I" feel like.

So much for "Keeping It Civilized." And so much for arguing to a point or an issue, instead of resorting to the Ad Hominem style of "weaponized" messages of personal insult and derision. "So much" being an idiom here for "Down the drain with" or "Anything but."

I have the forum names of some of what I would describe as "small C conservatives" who turned their back on Off Topic because of this. Once they were very active Talkers here. It's not my prerogative to "out them" by presenting their forum names.

But that's only part of it.

They aren't turning out new Fieros from the assembly line like they used to. I guess that has to be factored in. Forum demographics. I think anyone can enlarge on that without any further assistance from me.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-11-2019).]

Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2019 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree.

For me, I don’t engage in debates as much as I used to based on the lack of common respect by a few members here who insist on continually resorting to dragging the conversation down to name-calling & personal insults.

In my opinion, that’s not a respectful or intellectual free-exchange of ideas & opinions between adults, that’s little more than a sad attempt at grade-school bullying. It’s only objective is to cause pain & humiliation. It has no constructive or instructive elements. It’s sole purpose is to tear down, simply for the joy of tearing down.

I like constructive conversation, not destructive.
For me, it’s really pretty simple; common & mutual human respect.

Anything else is unacceptable.
Is that too much to ask of grown men?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-11-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I clicked on this thread several times to reinforce your point.

That the way lurkers leave their mark....
mike-ohio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure there are many like me who check this site several times a day and enjoy the discussion.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everybody's afraid to talk because of ol' Bob Mueller. The lurkers? That's all just olejoedad.

See? I didn't blame the Ruskies.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems to be the case in all the PFF forums...
Some have wandered over to the Facebook Fiero groups.
Sometimes a little more immediate interaction but not as good.

Someone will ask a question and many answers are quick one-liners like tweets.
So the OP get 15 shorts comment without enough depth to solve his problem at times.
The guys here often give much better detail and include links and pics when needed.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I don't know about Lurkers, since they leave no trace of their lurking.

The only thing I can really go by is the view count on the thread, not real accurate I know

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I clicked on this thread several times to reinforce your point.

That the way lurkers leave their mark....

Stinker.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

For me, I don’t engage in debates as much as I used to based on the lack of common respect by a few members here who insist on continually resorting to dragging the conversation down to name-calling & personal insults.

In my opinion, that’s not a respectful or intellectual free-exchange of ideas & opinions between adults, that’s little more than a sad attempt at grade-school bullying. It’s only objective is to cause pain & humiliation. It has no constructive or instructive elements. It’s sole purpose is to tear down, simply for the joy of tearing down.

To hell with them! Speak your mind. You are one of the few here who doesn't color within the lines.

"Boondawg is like a bucket of KFC, you never know what you're gonna get." ~ variously attributed

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-11-2019).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only post here. I do not tweet or twit.

Personal things have gone the way of the Dodo as far as the internet goes. Many more than most would believe have been doxed, spammed, had the Police called on them, and personal, familial, and financial lives disrupted due to liberal forum members. Those not in line with their feelings have been called racists and worse. Members like "always stoned" Boondawg, "I'll call the moderator" Rinselberg, "ya'll don't know" Threedog, or "don't hurt the lion" Patrick, feel that a bit of name calling is worth negging every ten days as the forum code allows.

I am up front. No avatar. I am just a potato in a field.

Edit: I wish for none of them or others like them to ever be silenced. Free speech and all.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-11-2019).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree its stupid.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
I like hearing other opinions besides my own, if its something trivial, or something really important. That alone even, determining what is dumb or important is a matter of opinion. We all have a different background and a different knowledge base. Different reasons.
I wonder if the internet has desensitized some of us, like a cop that sees the durge of society too often, they begin to assume things even sub consciously and suddenly "everybody sucks".
I'm sure the onslaught of news intended to lead us does it to us too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-11-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Much of the rudeness is rooted in the illusion of anonymity. The irony of that is that there is no point in trying to prove yourself when no one knows (or cares) who you are.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2019 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I wonder if the internet has desensitized some of us, like a cop that sees the durge of society too often, they begin to assume things even sub consciously and suddenly "everybody sucks".

I don’t think so.
I think these kind of people have always been around, long before the Internet.
I believe if you look closely, you can still see their true colors.

What do they continually post?

Are their posts always about other people & things they deem lessor than them?
Are their posts always about some “evil force” trying to silence or change them?
Are their posts always destructive in nature?
Is the reoccurring theme of their posts always negative?

If that’s how they communicate, chances are that’s who they really are.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-11-2019).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

"Boondawg is like a bucket of KFC, you never know what you're gonna get." ~ variously attributed

Some of us post like little Go cups. A go cup here a go cup there... but hey who don't like Fried Chicken? heh

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-11-2019).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

I don’t think so.
I think these kind of people have always been around, long before the Internet.
I believe if you look closely, you can still see their true colors.

What do they continually post?

Are their posts always about other people & things they deem lessor than them?
Are their posts always about some “evil force” trying to silence or change them?
Are their posts always destructive in nature?
Is the reoccurring theme of their posts always negative?

If that’s how they communicate, chances are that’s who they really are.

Makes sense.
Fear can be a driver for a lot of things.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2019 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Click to show

I post when I want, what I want, and where I want. As do you.

The things that one cannot post due to aforementioned leftist ideology is another deal all together now. You do not like my views here, so be it. Move the **** on. Get over it. What ever it is that makes you sleep at night, reach for that. I just made a honey ham omelette with provolone. Heavily peppered. Put down the bowl and find your honey ham Don.

I pay my taxes monthly. Monthly.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I post when I want, what I want, and where I want.

You do not like my views here, so be it. Move the **** on. Get over it.:

Seem like you are saying your "negative" posts are why people are moving on?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I only post here. I do not tweet or twit.

Personal things have gone the way of the Dodo as far as the internet goes. Many more than most would believe have been doxed, spammed, had the Police called on them, and personal, familial, and financial lives disrupted due to liberal forum members. Those not in line with their feelings have been called racists and worse. Members like "always stoned" Boondawg, "I'll call the moderator" Rinselberg, "ya'll don't know" Threedog, or "don't hurt the lion" Patrick, feel that a bit of name calling is worth negging every ten days as the forum code allows.

I am up front. No avatar. I am just a potato in a field.

Edit: I wish for none of them or others like them to ever be silenced. Free speech and all.

I am calling the moderator on this.

Click to show

The Tony Kania message ended with a very positive thought. But there's a difference between Free speech and Reckless speech. Even the powers that be in the United States have long interpreted the First Amendment with that certain "dollop of differentiation." Hence, the Posting Rules.

But I don't want to start yet another round of argument about that. Let the smoke settle or the fires burn down from what has most recently been said here on that topic.

Mostly, I just checked in again here to offer my latest Hide format joke, humble as it may be.

See ya' all later.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I post when I want, what I want, and where I want. As do you.

The things that one cannot post due to aforementioned leftist ideology is another deal all together now. You do not like my views here, so be it. Move the **** on. Get over it. What ever it is that makes you sleep at night, reach for that. I just made a honey ham omelette with provolone. Heavily peppered. Put down the bowl and find your honey ham Don.

I pay my taxes monthly. Monthly.

Interesting that your first reaction was that he was referring to you.

I am just a potato in a field.

Found something we can all agree with, imagine that.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 01-11-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I check threads fairly often but if I dont have anything useful or funny to say- I dont post.

Im a lurker ooooh!
like a hydralisk

shem
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some of us post like little Go cups. A go cup here a go cup there... but hey who don't like Fried Chicken? heh

Uh, that would be me. It's proven to be a "Fowl" food.

Never let it past my lips.

Rams
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Uh, that would be me. It's proven to be a "Fowl" food.

Never let it past my lips.

Rams

You don't like fried chicken?! Somebody probably ought to call ol' Bob Mueller.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

Found something we can all agree with, imagine that.

I am of the thinking that you are being sarcastic and negative with a sprinkling of humor.

Seem like you are saying your "negative" posts are why people are moving on?

No. If my negative posts hurt the feelings of some, then they should just bypass me. It is actually that simple.

I thought about starting a thread about those that have been "touched" by past and current members beyond the walls of this forum. You know, those that cause physical harm? But I know of several members that do not post here due to being doxed, spammed, swatted, business' disrupted along with social and familial life.

Why should I still post? Because of morals and values.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-12-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....beyond the walls of this forum.

This forum has walls? That's immoral! That's not who we are.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't like fried chicken?!

I loooove fried chicken.
I love steak.

If i could only eat one, which would I choose...
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

This forum has walls? That's not who we are.

I wonder if Mr. Pennock is?
After all, this forum IS a product of Europe!

I would be interested in his take on the border wall controversy.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I loooove fried chicken.
I love steak.

Fried chicken.
It has the extra flavor & texture of breading!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wonder if Mr. Pennock is?
After all, this forum IS a product of Europe!

I would be interested in his take on the border wall controversy.

Of course Holland has walls. Remember the story of the little dutch boy?

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19334 posts
Member since Mar 2009

I loooove fried chicken.
I love steak.

You could have chicken fried steak! Food of the gods.
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2019 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You could have chicken fried steak! Food of the gods.

It is indeed!
The best of both worlds!
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"You're a liar, Trump."

90 seconds of video content

The writers of this episode of a 1958 TV drama called "Trackdown" are seen to be eerily preminiscent of events that are now unfolding at this very moment.

Arguments and controversies about a man who bears the family name of "Trump", with a plan to build a defensive wall to protect the residents of Texas.

From the YouTube channel that bears the name "George Takei Presents". It appears to be that George Takei. At least, that's the way the YouTube channel presents itself.

I first learned of this from my only sibling. A bro' who knows.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-12-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

I check threads fairly often but if I dont have anything useful or funny to say- I dont post.

shem

Why not? That hasn't stopped a poster or two from starting thread after useless thread of videos and cut and pasted crap, that a person could look up on their own if they so desired. Post away and join the fun of uselessness!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I first learned of this from my only sibling. A bro' who knows.

Oh my god! There are two of them?

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hear ya lambo but then it gets kinda lame. Thats why I dont post much in tech, I dont know much about fieros. Just general car **** Ive learned over the years from all the hoopties ive had.

shem
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2019 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree.

Is that too much to ask of grown men?

B
I
N
G
O

And then if they don't agree with you. they use the arrow.
Sure everyone gets heated at times, I have, not proud of it.
But some make it an art. And try to use word craft and think they are slick.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2019 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

You should post it anyway.
"Useful" and "funny" are such subjective things!
Who knows, you might just brighten someone's day, or even open a pathway to an exploration of a subject they hadn't previously considered before!
But at least it's there for the readers choosing.

And then all that those who aren't interested have to do is use self-control an not click a subject or person they are not interested in.
It's a win-win!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive found better things to do than make a post about anything that doesnt get a bunch of negative crap. I dont facebook or tweet either. I might get here a few times a month, and generally dont see too many new threads that are of any interest. This is the first ive been here in 2-3 weeks and same threads are near the top that were there when I left with a few exceptions. Prob check back around Daytona 500 time.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock