Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Seems like more lurkers and alot less talkers in OT these days? (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Seems like more lurkers and alot less talkers in OT these days? by 2.5
Started on: 01-11-2019 10:08 AM
Replies: 190 (3017 views)
Last post by: randye on 02-09-2019 09:01 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2019 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Maybe he should have said gross overreaction?

Insanity :•extreme foolishness or irrationality.

I did not call him insane.
The "above-mentioned insanity" was referring to the past post of mine he was referencing.

Does replacing "The above-mentioned insanity" with "The insanity he mentioned above" make it clearer?
IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

FYI, I am not offended when Boondawg spams the forum. He is smoked out high and pizzy that the O/T section does not produce the stimulus that his receptors require. We know this, and allow it. I am 100% on board with it. But, I have every right to comment and say what I want, when I want, and where I want.

Sure. Though some post whatever they want including personal attacks, to me personal attacks are a weak mans game.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2019 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sure. Though some post whatever they want including personal attacks, to me personal attacks are a weak mans game.

I have bypassed many an argument here.

I agree with you, again.

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I did not call him insane.
The "above-mentioned insanity" was referring to the past post of mine he was referencing.

Does replacing "The above-mentioned insanity" with "The insanity he mentioned above" make it clearer?

You believe yourself to be wise. "A fool is his fondest admirer." Tony Kania circa January 15, 2019 @ or near 10:30 am.

Either way, Lambo has every right to post also.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-15-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2019 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And THAT'S the point.
No one is trying to silence anyone.
It's about personal attacks.

It's about ones ability/inability to engage with others in conversation without derogatorily attacking them.
It's about commenting on the subject at hand, not the people engaged in the conversation of the subject at hand.

This concept seems quite difficult for some to understand.
How hard is it for one to keep someone else's name out of their mouth?
Is it simply a mater of self-control?
Or is it character?

Or maybe it can be best explained by simply taking notice of the vigor some use in the fight against civility...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're all in this together
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2019 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool.
Then it's agreed.

No more personal attacks on other members.

It's just that easy.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Complains about forum rules, while breaking forum rules.

Heck, Ronald even specifically complained to the moderator about misquoting, and here we are folks. Kettle of black and all.

I am hopeful that I can bring about some reduction in the total amount of Member On Member snark and verbal nastiness that is in the "air" here, at this point.

Let me "insta-scroll" any onlookers backwards in time, to the moment of that message from Tony Kania.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/123210-2.html#p79

Tony Kania was responding to one of my messages, where I quoted a message from randye.

I think I quoted that message of randye's with perfect accuracy. That was what I meant to do. To start my message with an accurate quotation of randye's message.

I started my message with an accurate quotation of randye's message, and then I offered my thoughts about randye's message.

"Drooling moron" is from another of randye's very recent posts. It's a phrasing or nomenclature that he used in some other Topic.

It is what it is. I said what I said. But I do not think that I misquoted any other member's words at that moment. Not in the part of my message that was formatted using the Quote or Quotation format, which (of course) looks like this:

These words, text characters, links or images are being quoted.

I just added one more brief sentence to my message to make it more plain (clear). It contains the word "ought", in the italic or italicized text style. So... ought.

To wit.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-15-2019).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To quote the old forum saying then: "In before trash can.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone else find it amusing that the busiest topic on the forum is the one about how the forum is not very busy?

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2019 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool.
Then it's agreed.

It's just that easy.

Cool.
You agree with yourself.

Go **** yourself Boondawg.

It's just that easy.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2019 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

To quote the old forum saying then: "In before trash can.

Yup.
Dragged right in there.

One could surmise that it is the always the destructive, and not the constructive, that sends it that way...
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
**** you that's why
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2019 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup.
Dragged right in there.

One could surmise that it is the always the destructive, and not the constructive, that sends it that way...

You set pins, I own a company that builds. Smoke another bowl.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Does anyone else find it amusing that the busiest topic on the forum is the one about how the forum is not very busy?

No insult intended to "2.5", but I find it only slightly more amusing than the topic premise.

PFF presently claims to have 28,853 registered members.

How many of those registered members remain "active", (lurking or posting) on any of the separate sections, (GFC, Tech, O/T, etc.) is unknown

How many of the registered members that are active but never, or only rarely, venture into the O/T section is unknown

How many of the registered members that do venture into the O/T section but only "lurk" is unknown

How many of the registered members that might comment in a thread and then only look at it one or more times afterwards, (which counts as a "view"), is unknown

The fact is that there a lot of "registered members" that have left PFF that never had much "involvement" in O/T.

As I said before, trying to state why there seems to be more "lurking" and less "talking" is nothing but conjecture...

...especially when there is no factual data that supports the original premise .

It is even more amusing when it is pointed out, as you did, how little consequence to life it is either way.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-15-2019).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So rinselberg, I don’t recall if anyone has ever asked you directly:

Are you the dude who dispatched the dung,
the man who mailed the muck,
the person who packed the parcel of poop or
the sap who shipped the sh…..
ok, I’d better stop there

The mystery has been this forum’s equivalent of crop circles (or is that crap circles?)

It seems that you are asking me directly.

I have no connection with or knowledge about the person(s) that were behind any of these criminal parcel deliveries.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I have no connection with or knowledge about the person(s) that were behind any of these criminal parcel deliveries.

Thank you.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2019 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't wonder. I just don't do it myself.

I just don't need the hate in my life, and sadly, much of those here, are full of hate, I started to see my sharky remarks not only being posted here, but that same demeanor when talking to others in the "real world". didn't like it. moved away from it. better for it.
lurk and don't get caught up in the baiting and hate. winning
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2019 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

no, just that it is the same group/members in said circle jerk.
That is the comical part. The "my **** don't stink" is strong here
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Perhaps we need a Special Counsel to investigate your claim.

In our current political climate, a simple denial is as good as an admission of guilt, to some people's way of thinking.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I make the occasional post, I guess that means I'm a lurker. Reason: why bother making a comment in any one topic, they all just turn into a hate filled, he said this or that, personal attacks for people living their lives they way the want, full on discrimination against race/religion/gender. This use to be a place where one could come and have a somewhat civil discussion on opposing views, and maybe get a different perspective of things. Unfortunately now it is mainly just people pi**ing in each others cereal, enough said back to lurking.

dan
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am still here.

I am guilty of lurking, only occasionally. I don't reply often, for the same reason(s).

Life took a completely different direction and my desktop was ... "infested". I am computer illiterate including my iphone, which is an old SE (small screen). I also suck at texting because it's stupid (unless I am texting the same message to a sizeable number of people.

Life has me more time constrained.
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2019 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you, Cliff!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2019 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by bonaduce:

This use to be a place where one could come and have a somewhat civil discussion on opposing views, and maybe get a different perspective of things.

dan

Yup.
It’s a damn shame that a few nair-do-wells have their teeth set on making others as miserable as they seemingly are inside.

Their time might be better spent looking into their own problems rather then wasting their (what appears to be) limited mental resources projecting it onto others.

The World would be a much better place.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-16-2019).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2019 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup.Click to show

My reply, hidden so as those that wish to read it can without being inundated with my opinion. Just not looking to be told how to live. I will accommodate though.

Boondawg...

Click to show

Are you on vacation or unemployed Don?

Never have I left the walls of this forum due to my opinion. Many of you reading this have. Shame. Shame for not looking me in the eye.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-16-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Perhaps we need a Special Counsel to investigate your claim.

In our current political climate, a simple denial is as good as an admission of guilt, to some people's way of thinking.

First, we need to hire someone to write a creative dossier.
I wonder if rinselberg knows any Russian hookers.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool.
Then it's agreed.

It's just that easy.

Works for me.

If there is one thing you can control in life its yourself.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-16-2019).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by randye:

PFF presently claims to have 28,853 registered members.

How many of those registered members remain "active", ....

Well that's kind of any forum I guess. I was just noticing, or thought I did, a difference more lately as compared to previously, as in a year or 2 or 3. Mainly OT, as I think The Fiero parts seem to be picking up with newbies.
I could be wrong. Hey it was a good conversation starter though eh?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First, we need to hire someone to write a creative dossier.

I wonder if rinselberg knows any Russian hookers.

No, but I'm a quick study. It's that first "breaking the ice" step that always holds me back.

------------------
Keeping It Civilized, One Message At A Time

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-16-2019).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I just don't need the hate in my life, and sadly, much of those here, are full of hate, I started to see my sharky remarks not only being posted here, but that same demeanor when talking to others in the "real world". didn't like it. moved away from it. better for it.
lurk and don't get caught up in the baiting and hate. winning

I don't blame ya.
True in may ways we are what we do, and what we say.
There is that old saying garbage in / garbage out.
Try best to offset some of the garbage.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by bonaduce:

I make the occasional post, I guess that means I'm a lurker. Reason: why bother making a comment in any one topic, they all just turn into a hate filled, he said this or that, personal attacks for people living their lives they way the want, full on discrimination against race/religion/gender. This use to be a place where one could come and have a somewhat civil discussion on opposing views, and maybe get a different perspective of things. Unfortunately now it is mainly just people pi**ing in each others cereal, enough said back to lurking.

dan

Thanks for the honest comment.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

response is filled with dishonesty, hate for me, ...

I don't think you are the only one who may be "making others miserable" as he put it. Boonie didn't name names, or quote you.

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

What they don't mention is don't compare yourself to people you see as doing worse than you in order to make yourself feel better.

“The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday.”

“Don’t compare yourself to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.”

Too long? Try from 4:35.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2019 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

True in may ways we are what we do, and what we say.
There is that old saying garbage in / garbage out.
Try best to offset some of the garbage.

Sometimes it helps to see where someone is coming from by using the search feature here.

By typing in a members name, you can review a persons threads and posts from many years ago, and maybe get an idea of how they got the way they are today by how the were back then.

It can be be incredibly beneficial when reviewing one’s own perception of another.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2019 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

What they don't mention is don't compare yourself to people you see as doing worse than you in order to make yourself feel better.

I agree.
I never understood the point of making fun of someone for the job they do to make a living.

They’re not a drain on the system, thay are supporting themselves and their families, they are contributing to the tax base, they are boosting the economy by buying things, and they are doing a job that someone needs done.

In my opinion, that’s great for America, and those that live in it!
So where’s the shame?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-16-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree.
I never understood the point of making fun of someone for the job they do to make a living.

They’re not a drain on the system, thay are supporting themselves and their families, they are contributing to the tax base, they are boosting the economy by buying things, and they are doing a job that someone needs done.

In my opinion, that’s great for America, and those that live in it!
So where’s the shame?

Some of the wisest people I have ever met were stacking lumber or swinging hammers.

I knew a driver who was raised in the remote backwater swamps of Louisiana and had a speech impediment, so everyone always called him stupid. In reality he was a very intelligent guy. He read a lot and knew a great deal about the history of the old west, but no one knew, because no one would talk to him. He came into my office one day and picked up a broken part that the mechanics had left on my desk (I don't remember what it was), looked it all over for about thirty seconds, then proceed to explain why it broke and how it could have been better designed. I will never forget that guy.

He was one of the most solid, reliable, trustworthy drivers I have ever known. This was the truck he drove:

(I just like to illustrate my posts)

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-16-2019).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2019 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sometimes it helps to see where someone is coming from by using the search feature here.

By typing in a members name, Click to show

Rebuttal...

Click to show

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A few good nuggets in there, at least through 14:40ish

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2019 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A few good nuggets in there, at least through 14:40ish

Yep, there are indeed some good "nuggets" and a lot of platitudes in there.

I also heard a lot of comments by the unmistakable voice of comedian Jim Carrey too, which is really ironic when you consider that his current "claim to fame" is his making hateful paintings and cartoons of people he doesn't like.

You know what they say about "words vs deeds", but even that aside, I usually don't take "life advice" from Hollyweird entertainers, TV talking heads or self proclaimed "gurus".

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-16-2019).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2019 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Yep, there are indeed some good "nuggets" and a lot of platitudes in there.

I also heard a lot of comments by the unmistakable voice of comedian Jim Carrey too, which is really ironic when you consider that his current "claim to fame" is his making hateful paintings and cartoons of people he doesn't like.

You know what they say about "words vs deeds", but even that aside, I usually don't take "life advice" from Hollyweird entertainers, TV talking heads or self proclaimed "gurus".

Me either. Though sometimes one mans platitude is another mans useful nugget. Sometimes people set goals they don't reach. We can learn from the mistakes of others too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-17-2019).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2019 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sometimes people set goals they don't reach. We can learn from the mistakes of others too.

I agree.
I made a mistake at work the other day that no one would have ever known, but I went ahead and made it company knowledge.
Why?
It was a learning opportunity for the guys that work under me, as well as setting a good example of owning your actions.

Of course, they practically laughed me out of the building for busting myself when I didn’t have to!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-17-2019).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock