Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Racial slur or innocently garbled phoneme? Rochester (NY) weatherman fired, News10NBC

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Racial slur or innocently garbled phoneme? Rochester (NY) weatherman fired, News10NBC by rinselberg
Started on: 01-08-2019 09:57 AM
Replies: 18 (497 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 01-21-2019 11:12 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHEC apologizes to viewers after firing meteorologist Jeremy Kappell for [alleged] racial slur

During a WHEC weather forecast on Friday that showed a live shot of the city's Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park, Jeremy Kappell appeared to call it "Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Park."

The station's vice president and general manager, Richard A. Reingold, confirmed Kappell's dismissal in a statement Monday.

"As a result of that broadcast, meteorologist Jeremy Kappell is no longer with News10NBC," Reingold said. "We believe strongly in holding our reporters and anchors to the highest standard."

Kappell, who had been WHEC's chief meteorologist since October 2017, said Monday evening that the incident had been "a simple misunderstanding" that arose because he "jumbled a couple of words.
Sean Lahman for Rochester Democrat and Chronicle; January 7, 2019.
COMPLETE REPORT
https://www.democratandchro...her-king/2499961002/

Public Statement from News10NBC Vice-President and General Manager, Richard A. Reingold

On behalf of News10NBC, I apologize for our broadcast of a racial slur in a reference to Martin Luther King, Jr. Park during our Friday evening broadcast (1/4/19). Upon learning of the incident, News10NBC leadership immediately initiated an internal investigation and internal discussion, and by Sunday had made a staffing change.

COMPLETE STATEMENT
https://www.whec.com/news/s...ger/5200406/?cat=565

Rochester area News10NBC meteorologist Jeremy Kappell fired for [alleged] on-air disparagement of Martin Luther King, Jr. In 2010, ESPN's Mike Greenberg was not fired after a strikingly similar allegation.
Steve Orr for Rochester Democrat and Chronicle; January 7, 2019.
https://www.democratandchro...deo-slur/2508535002/

In the Comments section that accompanies a YouTube video, [a] Robert Fishman said this:

This is a common slip of the tongue understood by any educated linguist. The words king + junior = kunior - ior = kun. The slip of the tongue was kunior, but the utterance was not completed because Mr. Kappell 'caught himself' and corrected himself before completing it. He began to say Martin Luther kunior, but stopped and said Martin Luther Kun--- Junior. Common linguistic error, and your going to crucify him for it? The height of stupidity!
"New York meteorologist fired after saying racial slur on air"; USA Today; YouTube. Does not have the Audio Track.
https://youtu.be/RrpUdPFWG8o

"WHEC meteorologist Jeremy Kappell fired after on-air racial slur"; The Iconium Foundation; YouTube.
Audio Track is from a low quality recording of a TV that was airing the meteorologist's report. Not easy to discern his words.
https://youtu.be/_Ks6F5tx_mk

After there was viewer reaction to the on-air segment, the [former] News10NBC meteorologist Jeremy Kappell said this, about what he had said on-air:

"In my mind I know I mispronounced but there was no malice. I had no idea the way it came across to so many people. As soon as I mispronounced it I put an emphasis on King and moved on. I had no ideas what some people could have interpreted that as and I know some people interpreted that the wrong way. That's not a word I said and I promise you that. If you did feel it hurt you in any way I sincerely apologize."
That is appended to News10 WHEC's publishing of the statement from News10NBC Vice-President and General Manager, Richard A. Reingold.
https://www.whec.com/news/s...ger/5200406/?cat=565

So, please text "RACIAL SLUR" or "MISTAKE" to mobile phone number... uh, no. Just azzin' with that one.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-08-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2019 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually hear the "n" word every, single, day. At some point in the day I either hear one call another it, or the word is used extremely often in black culture. Extremely often.

I did not watch the video. It has made rounds for a day or so now, and is being thrown down our throats like an easy fast food sandwich. That alone lets us know it's worth. The man fired is claiming that he did not say it. "Justice" was immediatly served by the Plastic Media. Much like the "white suspect" in the killing of that poor young girl. Even though they have admitted suspects in custody, the media already convicted the "white suspect". Even this morning SJW's are threatening him and his family online. Guilty by being white.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2019 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

20794 posts
Member since Dec 2008
You are looking in the wrong direction again Ronald. More information does not equal factual information. Let's hear it from the man himself. Not the opinion of the media.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 01-08-2019).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2019 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

20794 posts
Member since Dec 2008
I have tried, we have tried looking for the actual video. Could someone who knows where it is post please. We just want to hear it being said before I go all SJW.
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm figuring he stepped on somebody's toes somewhere along the way, or somebody with friends in high places wanted his job.

No reasonable person could possibly believe that he said such a thing with foul intent. That is not to say that people don't talk like that, but if they had as much to lose as this guy did, they would not likely do so in full view of the public.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-08-2019).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's inspiring me to break out into song (again). Like Johnny Rivers.

Be careful what you say
Or you'll give yourself away
Odds are you won't work again tomorrow

Secret Weather man, Secret Weather man

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-08-2019).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are obviously no more "civilized" than when we used to beat each other over the head with clubs.

Now, if one sees another as a hindrance, he simply pulls certain levers on the elaborate torture machine that we have built for ourselves.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I'm figuring he stepped on somebody's toes somewhere along the way, or somebody with friends in high places wanted his job.

No reasonable person could possibly believe that he said such a thing with foul intent. That is not to say that people don't talk like that, but if they had as much to loose as this guy did, they would not likely do so in full view of the public.

But its easier to just dump him and move on. Totally **** his life and turn the other cheek. I believe they were taught this lesson the wrong way.
They didn't just fire the man they ruined his career, took away his ability to feed himself and take care of his family.
He was not given a chance, no review board looked at the video and discussed what it could have been.
No experts were brought in to show how this could have happened.
No he was fired, done no chance at redemption and left with only one course and that is to fight back.
I hope that he gets something and can find another way to support himself and his family.
While the blm and snowflakes of the world sleep better for taking him off the air.
Haaa manipulated again
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shameful.

Destroying individuals and their families over A WORD.

A WORD that (if even actually uttered), inflicted no real damage to others.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2019 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am usually pretty good at this, but still have not found an unedited cut of his racist remark. Nothing, nada, zip? I can find clips and cuts of the versions that folks want us to hear, but nothing of the actual event taking place.

Help? Could a liberal here please find it for me? Yes, I know that I am asking you to do homework for me, but I have failed and need a hand. Pwease?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

It's inspiring me to break out into song (again). Like Johnny Rivers.

Be careful what you say
Or you'll give yourself away
Odds are you won't work again tomorrow

Secret Weather man, Secret Weather man

As a former member of the Weather Underground, I don't like your silly attempt at humor.

PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

As a former member of the Weather Underground, I don't like your silly attempt at humor.

You made me go listen to Subterranean Homesick Blues again. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-09-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2019 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to help out!
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Do not think of a pink elephant." Is this psychology's Ironic Process Theory at work?

For the second time in less than two weeks, a local television newsperson has used a racial slur while talking about the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Around 5:30 a.m. on Thursday, news anchor Kevin Steincross of CNN affiliate KTVI in St. Louis was on the air and said a tribute at St. Louis University would honor "Martin Luther coon Jr.," the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Around 9 a.m., Steincross went on the air to apologize.

"We have heard from a viewer about a mistake I made in our 5 a.m. newscast," he said in the apology. "In our story about the tribute to Dr. King, I unfortunately mispronounced his name. Please know I have total respect for Dr. King, what he meant and continues to mean to our country. This was not intentional in any way, and I sincerely apologize."

A representative for station owner Tribune Broadcasting said Steincross made an unfortunate mistake and the station will not take disciplinary measures against him, according to the Post-Dispatch.

<SNIP>

Ralph Ellis for CNN; January 19, 2019.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01...mlk-story/index.html
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2019 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

"Do not think of a pink elephant." Is this psychology's Ironic Process Theory at work?

Ralph Ellis for CNN; January 19, 2019.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01...mlk-story/index.html

I don't know....maybe he had a cold or a stuffed up nose, but to me, he sounded a little honky.

I think most of this crap would go away if we could just remember how to laugh. We used to know how.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-19-2019).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2019 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what it is worth, it appears to be that the man is still happy.

https://twitter.com/JeremyKappell
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Managed to find a clip of the "incident".. They play it at the start of the interview.

It was literally nothing. To be honest with you, its sounds a quick "ku" sound, that if it hadn't already been pounded into my head that he said the word "coon", i wouldn't have thought it sounded like anything.

But yeah, its just straight up B.S!..

But yeah just another victim of radical leftists ideology. Probably have something similar to schools these days, with zero tolerance policies at the station. A lot of corporate environments are like this now.

Makes you wonder what some of these freaking conversations "internal investigations" are like when crap like this happens, especially with the school situations..

"Mr. Snow!!".. "Yes Mrs. Flake?".. "Little Timmy brought a gun into my class!".. "What? Where? Did you take it away?'.. "Yes i did Mr. Snow, its right here".. "Mrs. Flake this is clearly a toy, its bright orange, and has a ninja turtle on the side of it".. "I don't care! Zero Tolerance! Expel him!"...

Won't be long before nobody will want to talk to each other, companies can just hand out flash cards with pre-approved phrases on them to communicate.

But yeah crap like this really gets to me.

At least hes getting lots of support. Dr. King's daughter reached out in support of him, so has Al Roker, and even Don Lemon at the end of the interview there gives him his support.

I doubt it'll get him his job back at his old station (would he even want to go back?) But maybe the support he's getting will help him land a new, and hopefully better job.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 01-21-2019).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2019 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

Managed to find a clip of the "incident".. They play it at the start of the interview. Click to show

Thank you.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I don't know....maybe he had a cold or a stuffed up nose, but to me, he sounded a little honky.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock