Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Downstairs Guest Bathroom - Remodeled...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Downstairs Guest Bathroom - Remodeled... by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 01-04-2019 04:50 PM
Replies: 3 (141 views)
Last post by: shemdogg on 01-04-2019 10:36 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2019 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For anyone who cares... just put the finishing touches on the downstairs guest bathroom. Took a video, figured I’d share.

Heh... it’s probably not the style you guys would want or expect, but this is a popular style for this part of Texas (San Antonio). It’s called “Hill Country Modern.” It’s a mix of “farm” and “craftsman” style... basically the same **** you see from that couple from Waco who do the home renovations on HGTV. It’s hugely popular here.

If I was in Miami, of course... I’d do something more modern with cleaner lines. I’d also use nickel rather than oil-rubbed bronze for everything... but do as the Romans, as they say.

Total cost for this renovation was basically $1,400... which included EVERYTHING... I mean, literally everything. Before I started, I had 4 walls and a concrete slab. Even the walls had to be repaired after I removed all the wall-paper (I re-mudded all the walls).

The picture on the wall is one my wife took in... New Mexico, I think? It was right off an abandoned and derelict part of Route-66 where there was a town that doesn't really exist anymore.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2019 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely

I don't think it is so much that you make things nice, but you keep them that way.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2019 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Absolutely

I don't think it is so much that you make things nice, but you keep them that way.

Thanks! I bought the house really cheap, like 35% off the value because it was all original and needed to be renovated. The home was mostly in good shape, good foundation etc. I was able to re-use all the roof tiles too (concrete roof tiles), just needed to replace some wood sheathing, underlayment, and some fascia boards. I re-did the kitchen and the laundry room in the same style (shaker). The upstairs bathroom, I didn't really change too much except put tile down, replace the toilet, re-do all the shutoff valves, install LED lighting, replace the outlets with GFIs, new baseboard and wainscoting (like in this bathroom), and then did all oil-rubbed bronze fixtures. I replaced all the outlets and light switches with white Decora, new baseboard everywhere, all new flooring throughout, scraped the ceilings... also removed the fan-mounted lights in every room and installed 4 LED can lights in each room, with both the fan and light controlled by dimmers and stepper switches. Did a few other things, etc... but kept the total renovations to under 40k. I will have to move again for work in about 2 years, so I hope to get a good return on the home.

I'd keep it and rent it out, but I can't bring myself to imagine someone renting this house with all the work I'm putting into it. I'm doing everything AT or above code requirements... and putting a lot of effort into the little details. Renters would just trash the place.

Speaking of, just saw my Florida home during the break.

My tenant keeps my Florida home IMMACULATE... but... could not believe it. The dude walled off my wet-bar. There's a wet bar (cabinets, bar sink, lights, shelves, outlets, etc...) all built into an alcove in the main area of the home. The tenant literally paid someone to come in and install drywall over the alcove. ???

I was floored. If it wasn't for the fact that the guy keeps the place totally immaculate... I'd have totally freaked out on him. I don't know what he's thinking. ??? I mean, it looks nice, and no one would be the wiser... but I was like... "Uhh… where is my wet bar?"

He also installed an exhaust fan in the master bathroom. I didn't put one in there because there's already a window. He ordered the exact same exhaust vent as the one I installed in the guest bathroom when I renovated the house. But still, he installed an electric exhaust vent. He also installed tile backsplash in the kitchen... ???

I wasn't sure if I should be mad, or happy. Again, the guy keeps the place totally immaculate, but it really caught me off guard. He's mentioned to the neighbors that he plans to buy my house when the lease is up... which, I'm flattered, but I never said I wanted to sell the home (I don't). So... I'll cross that bridge when the time comes. I told him no more improvements or modifications from now on.
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2019 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats awesome hes taking car of the place. Wall off the wet bar? Blasphemy! Here in ca renters are liable for damages or unapproved mods. Make sure they have renters insurance as part of the lease. No way he can buy the place w/out your ok. Some shitty renters made a whole buncha shitty landscape improvements and when the lease was up, I took their deposit and sued em for extra to remove their "improvements". Dunno how it is in florida, but having a good prop mngr makes all the difference.

shem

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock