Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Scary Thought; What If Everything Really IS All About Emotion...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Scary Thought; What If Everything Really IS All About Emotion... by Boondawg
Started on: 12-05-2018 08:42 PM
Replies: 10 (182 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 12-06-2018 07:50 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2018 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What if EVERYTHING we think, EVERYTHING we do, is predicated* (whether we want it to or not) on emotion (to some degree)...on how we feel about it?
Can logic exist in that same space?

I'm beginning to think balance is just a matter of opinion, i.e. emotion.
Also, I'm not sure having a HeadShop on every corner is such a good idea after all...

*To find or base something on.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of course. Emotion provides motivation. Logic does not. Logic just is. To do something, anything, you must want to do it.
It's the way the machine is designed. There is no such thing as artificial intelligence, just as knowledge is nothing without wisdom.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I get where you are coming from Boonie. Emotion and discernment are not quite the same thing though and both need to happen, if that makes sense.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-05-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2018 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Balance, yes, micro and macro balance maybe?
Ever hear the phrase "it takes all kinds", usually said when someone does something unusual.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I see it the other way. I think emotions are built on kernels of logic. People don't like to hear that emotions are conditioned responses, programmed into us to increase our chance of success as a species, because that sucks all the fun out of it.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Personally, I see it the other way. I think emotions are built on kernels of logic. People don't like to hear that emotions are conditioned responses, programmed into us to increase our chance of success as a species, because that sucks all the fun out of it.

Exactly. Without emotions, we would not survive, nor want to. Without fear, anger, lust, hope we would have no motivation. We do not need to decide to run from the lion or chase the girl, we just do; because we are humans.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The social hierarchy exist because of emotions. It is a survival trait that we have and it works quite well for us.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2018 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really, everything IS about emotion and "wants" and how to make them happen.

You WANT pizza for dinner, I WANT steak...both are gratifying and filling, but in a different way.

You WANT a condo and a big social circle to fill your free time, I WANT an isolated home with nobody around and a shop with project to fill mine...BOTH are valid life-style choice but fill very different emotional needs.

You WANT a Fiero, I WANT a big-honkin coal-roller pickup...BOTH will get us from point A to point B and both make statements and fill emotional needs...but VERY different ones.

Literally everything in life can be broken down to basic arguments like these, and it IS all based on individual emotions and wants.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Emotions manifest in our brain due to chemical reactions.

The brain communicates with itself by transmitting chemicals from one neuron, or nerve, to the other. And this regular, rapid-fire messaging plays a big role in how you feel and function each day.
These neurotransmitter chemicals are classified into two basic categories: excitatory, meaning they stimulate brain activity, or inhibitory, meaning they have a more calming effect. Learn more about a few common brain chemicals and how they impact your thinking and mood.
Four Important Brain Chemicals

Serotonin
You probably already know that serotonin plays a role in sleep and in depression, but this inhibitory chemical also plays a major role in many of your body’s essential functions, including appetite, arousal, and mood. Many antidepressants target serotonin receptors to improve your morning wood and lessen depressive symptoms.
Interestingly, most of your serotonin is stored in the intestine, and this chemical may play a role in digestive functioning as well.

Dopamine
Dopamine controls many functions, including behavior, emotion, and cognition. This chemical also communicates with the front part of your brain, which is associated with pleasure and reward. On the positive side, it helps motivate you to work toward achieving a reward. However, many illegal drugs also target dopamine receptors, contributing to drug and alcohol addiction as it feels good. Because dopamine is related to movement, low levels have also been linked to Parkinson’s disease.

Glutamate
This is the most common excitatory neurotransmitter, found throughout your brain and spinal cord. Glutamate has many essential functions, including early brain development, cognition, learning, and memory. Don't spare the glutamate

Norepinephrine
This chemical, also called noradrenaline, can sometimes act as a hormone as well. Its primary role is part of your body’s stress response. It works with the hormone adrenaline to create the “fight-or-flight” feeling. Norepinephrine may also be used as a drug to raise or maintain blood pressure in certain illnesses. It keeps you from falling down.

One bad trip away from the funny farm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Emotions manifest in our brain due to chemical reactions.

Or, "chemicals" are what we see that lets us "measure" "emotions".
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2018 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock