Pontiac fans by shemdogg
Started on: 11-29-2018 07:11 PM
Replies: 22 (415 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 12-08-2018 01:31 PM
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2018 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody watchin that show on discovery channel called trans am? Pretty damn cool show, cupla brothers w a repair/firebird resto shop and then they licensed the trans am name, bought some new camaros, made a new bodyish for it and a big ol motor and selling it as the trans am. Cool lookin cars, cool show!

its got t-tops!
shem
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty neat.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well a defunct name brand building on a car belonging to a failing name brand.
The car is cool and I would drive it but wouldn't want to own one.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2018 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We see those conversions at the Chevy Nationals (formerly GM Nationals) at Carlisle. Most look good (real good) but the price over and above that is added to the price of the Camaro it's built on just doesn't make sense to me.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2018 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the Smoky and the Bandit car and have wondered what a "new one" would look like. Now I won't wonder any more. I will rather have an SS. I can't say that the "new" Bird impresses me. It just looks.....wrong, something isn't right with it.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 12-01-2018).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2018 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Anybody watchin that show on discovery channel called trans am? Pretty damn cool show, cupla brothers w a repair/firebird resto shop and then they licensed the trans am name, bought some new camaros, made a new bodyish for it and a big ol motor and selling it as the trans am. Cool lookin cars, cool show!

its got t-tops!
shem

That is really cool... I hope they keep it going.

I'm still not over the fact that GM killed Pontiac. It made money, there was absolutely no reason for them to kill the brand. I truly feel like it was a political decision. I know that no company needs to have as many makes / models as they did... but I was a pure Pontiac Fan. In my time, I purchased several 2-3 year old used Pontiac vehicles from a BPG dealer, and purchased one brand new car (Pontiac Solstice) from a dealer when I was older and had the money. Special ordered it. So... it's not like I was just a fan that didn't contribute to their bottom line.

There is literally nothing that GM owns that I have any interest in. I don't know if it's my bias that I have against them, or if their cars are truly just uninspiring... but if GM went away tomorrow, I don't think I'd even care. That said... it's funny, because the only car they have that I think is even remotely cool, is the Chevy Volt... which maybe proves it's not my biases because that was the "child" of the whole bailout debacle. And, they're cancelling it. I have a stupid GM card with like thousands of points which I've never used, maybe they've all expired. Maybe I get a new Chevy Volt since they aren't selling and people are blowing them out on the dealer lot.

But shoot... I really despise GM now.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2018 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend with a Chevy BOLT and he absolutely loves it.
Electric, not hybrid.
Good autocrosser, he says.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2018 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Camaro in a new skin is still just a Camaro (Trans-Am) with a big engine. I'm at the age where I don't need a new fast "hot rod". After owning my Fiero for 31+ years and find it meets my needs for a "sports car". I went to the international car show in Orlando on the 25th, and did not see anything in the new car market that I couldn't live without or were affordable. $136,000 for a new Corvette is out of my price range.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2018 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

A Camaro in a new skin is still just a Camaro (Trans-Am) with a big engine. I'm at the age where I don't need a new fast "hot rod". After owning my Fiero for 31+ years and find it meets my needs for a "sports car". I went to the international car show in Orlando on the 25th, and did not see anything in the new car market that I couldn't live without or were affordable. $136,000 for a new Corvette is out of my price range.

You know Old Lar, I don't think it's you. I'm convinced that cars just aren't what they were.

There are still cars that come out that I find to be exciting, but few of them I consider worth buying.

My Pontiac Solstice was one of the last new cars I found exciting. I actually REALLY like the new Fiat Spyder (built off the Miata platform). The newer Ford Explorers are kind of cool, but the last few year iterations are getting lame.

I'm definitely interested in the new Ford Bronco because it tends to build on what I thought made it look cool in the first place. Jeep Wranglers, always cool. The new Mustang actually looks nice.

But beyond that, there's really not much out there that I think is cool.

There have been some bad models... most of the cars in the early 90s, sedans mostly... were garbage. But I look at almost any generation of cars, and there are tons of cars I'd love to have. Right now... 2010+... there's nothing I even remotely find interesting. We have too many laws, too many restrictions. If car companies could be allowed to make cars that people would actually WANT to buy, things would be different. The high-waist-line is pretty lame. HOW they managed to make the Mustang look as good as it does is really beyond me.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2018 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Jeep Wranglers, always cool.

But beyond that, there's really not much out there that I think is cool.

Right now... 2010+... there's nothing I even remotely find interesting.

We agree on Jeep Wranglers, I assume you mean the two door versions. The four door version sucks IMHO.

In reference to the rest of your post, gett'n old sucks. Don't ask me how I know that.

Rams
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2018 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

We agree on Jeep Wranglers, I assume you mean the two door versions. The four door version sucks IMHO.

In reference to the rest of your post, gett'n old sucks. Don't ask me how I know that.

Rams

Yeah, the 2-door ones.

Right now I drive a 2-door Ford Explorer Sport. It's got... I dunno… 170k miles on it. I drive it because I really don't like anything else, and it runs so damn well. I just don't really like the newer cars.

I don't think it's getting old... I really just think the rules for cars have changed so much now that cars just flat-out look like crap.
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Totally with you on that, theres no new car that appeals to me. Nothing in ages really. The last car I really liked was the impala ss the tricked out caprice. Everything looks the same kinda cookie cutter shape. I wouldnt mind a newer truck, I like the fords n chevys but too much electronics and the cheesy looking plastic interiors kill it for me. My neighbor just got a 2018 silverado, ill keep my 06 thanks

shem

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah there have been a few versions of this. Looks better than the Camaro, as Firebirds always did IMO.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-04-2018).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impossible to beat the look of a white/blue 1970 T/A.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Impossible to beat the look of a white/blue 1970 T/A.

I test drove and almost bought a used one just like that back in '76, a RA-IV 4 speed with no A/C, white with the blue stripe and little hood bird. I ran it up to almost 5 grand through a couple of gears and pissed off the salesman. I ended up buying my GTO, instead.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-04-2018).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BIL had a 79 TA with the Olds 403.
My 85 Fiero GT would eat it's lunch in every aspect.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

BIL had a 79 TA with the Olds 403.
My 85 Fiero GT would eat it's lunch in every aspect.

A girl I used to live with had a '78 (I think) Formula with the same motor. The "5 mph bumper" ruined the looks of the 'Birds.

It looked a lot like this one:

Government regulations ruined the looks of both ends and the roof, not to mention the performance.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19450 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Back in the early '90s - Run what ya' brung night at Firebird:

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2018 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Totally with you on that, theres no new car that appeals to me. Nothing in ages really. The last car I really liked was the impala ss the tricked out caprice. Everything looks the same kinda cookie cutter shape. I wouldnt mind a newer truck, I like the fords n chevys but too much electronics and the cheesy looking plastic interiors kill it for me. My neighbor just got a 2018 silverado, ill keep my 06 thanks

shem

It's not uncommon that you would still like the trucks. They are far less regulated than passenger cars are from nearly every category, safety to emissions, to everything else because they are classified differently. But give it time, and if regulators have their say... I wouldn't be surprised if trucks all start looking like Honda Ridgelines.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I watch the show. Its not bad as some of the shows on Motor Trend Channel...formerly Velocity. I like the TA looks much better than Camaro...but id much rather buy a Mr Norm 'Cuda' built on Challenger. GMs electric Volt and Bolt look stupid...and they cancelled the Volt...and expect the same for Bolt when they dont sell well either.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dig the TA, just wouldnt buy one. Sweet car and it does look better than the maro. Maybe somebody could license the fiero and build a new one that would be appealing to look at and drive?.....
Anybody
anybody

Nah theyd probably pull the body off n put a ferrari or lambo body on it ughh

shem
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
It's not uncommon that you would still like the trucks. They are far less regulated than passenger cars are from nearly every category, safety to emissions, to everything else because they are classified differently. But give it time, and if regulators have their say... I wouldn't be surprised if trucks all start looking like Honda Ridgelines.

I don't care if they regulate them but damn some times I wish you had to take a different driving test if you are going to drive a truck.
When the driver cant see what is in front of them or park the damn thing then they shouldn't be able to drive it.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2018 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I don't care if they regulate them but damn some times I wish you had to take a different driving test if you are going to drive a truck.
When the driver cant see what is in front of them or park the damn thing then they shouldn't be able to drive it.

True.

One of the things I thought interesting when I moved here to San Antonio... everyone drives trucks. In Miami, people all mostly drive luxury sedans. There are also SUVs too of course, they are pretty common. But the gigantic American trucks and sedans are not very common. Not very many people have Suburbans or full-sized pickups. But in San Antonio, I would say that... possibly more than half... maybe 65% of the vehicles on the road are pick-up trucks. Many of them are garganchuan pickups... the F250 extended cap sized... with many many dualies. Nothing against people buying them, but it was a definite change.

When I last "lived" in Dallas... all I saw were Ford Expeditions and Volvo station wagons. Those were the two most common vehicles. That was the early to mid 2000s though, and the suburbs.

Anyway, you get a lot of small Texas ladies driving them around... most of them can't over the dash. I don't know why they'd even want something that huge if they can't drive it.

I get frustrated driving my Crown Victoria because it's so damned massive. That's why it's almost 18 years old and still has only 50k miles on it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock