Started on: 11-26-2018 02:47 PM
Replies: 20 (328 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 12-07-2018 06:02 PM
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Click Here to Email htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Today GM announced they are idling The Volt plant and killing the Volt on 1 March 19. Other cars are being discontinued to including the Cruze and Impala. Gm says they are going full battery on next gen car and SUVs and Trucks are where the real money is.

IP: Logged

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I seem to recall Ford taking the same kind of steps in regards to cars verses SUV's and Truck's except they are also retaining the Focus crossover.

As I said in that thread. It's not that that's where the money is at. It's that it's where American monikers can get the money. They threw out low reliability cars to try to race the foreign brands and while reliability may have improved over the years, they have not been able to escape that stigma. Seriously, if there was no money in cars why are they the major portion of the offerings from Mazda, Subaru, Volkswagon, Audi, Hyundai, Kia, Honda, BMW, Toyota and so on? We have seen foreign brands slipping in reliability as cars become more complex but the US monikers just kept giving us the same generic bland styling for the most part and at most marginally better reliability over foreign brands with some models.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 448
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good. I no longer care. GM has not offered anything of interest to me in nearly ten years. The Volt was... interesting, but not enough to run out and buy one.

And even the vehicles that I would possibly be caught dead in, are not available equipped the way I would want them.
All the engines are little bitty four-holers with turbos. No manual trannies to be had. Well... except for the Camaro and the Corvette. The Camaro is stupidly expensive, and still looks like a cartoon of itself (albeit nicer than the Gen 5.) The Corvette? If I wanted one, I'd buy a used C6. But I don't.

GM used to be my manufacturer of choice. Eff 'em.

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So when does NASCAR convert to racing electric SUV's to give America what we really want

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

So when does NASCAR convert to racing electric SUV's to give America what we really want

NASCAR is another thing that I care little about. (Jeez... I'm on a roll, today. Sorry about that.)

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really like the Volt. I would buy a used 2nd generation with no hesitation. But crap.....GM get your act together.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 217
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsClick Here to Email blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's not that I don't care but, the truth is, GM hasn't offered anything that interested me in years.
I hate to see folks lose their jobs but, those jobs depend on building something the consumer wants. Obviously, that ain't happening.
Capitalism works when you build and sell something the consumers want.

Rams

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

It's not that I don't care but, the truth is, GM hasn't offered anything that interested me in years.
I hate to see folks lose their jobs but, those jobs depend on building something the consumer wants. Obviously, that ain't happening.
Capitalism works when you build and sell something the consumers want.

Rams

I like the G8, Impala, SS and most of the Buick line. My issue with them is that none of them have a manual transmission AND a high output engine. THAT is incredibly arrogant on the part of GM to tell people what they should buy.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I like the G8, Impala, SS and most of the Buick line. My issue with them is that none of them have a manual transmission AND a high output engine. THAT is incredibly arrogant on the part of GM to tell people what they should buy.

Interesting comment.

Corporate arrogance for not offering a product....🤔

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Interesting comment.

Corporate arrogance for not offering a product....🤔

It's not the lack of offering, it's the attitude that they know better than the buyer, what they want or need.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Or, perhaps they are looking at future profitability projections, taking care of their stockholders.
That's what well-run businesses do.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Or, perhaps they are looking at future profitability projections, taking care of their stockholders.
That's what well-run businesses do.

It can't be easy running a business as large and complex as GM. But shutting down factories and killing product lines says they screwed up somewhere.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well run manufacturing businesses must constantly evaluate the marketplace they serve.
In the past, GM (and the auto industry in general) was not very good at this.
Simply put, products have a limited life, and must change with the marketplace.
I look at this move as a sign that GM is trying to stay ahead of the market and position for growth in markets they feel will be profitable.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well run manufacturing businesses must constantly evaluate the marketplace they serve.
In the past, GM (and the auto industry in general) was not very good at this.
Simply put, products have a limited life, and must change with the marketplace.
I look at this move as a sign that GM is trying to stay ahead of the market and position for growth in markets they feel will be profitable.

You may be correct, in fact this is how GM has explained it's actions.
But for example, with the exception of Ford who is doing basically the same thing, other manufacturers are producing cars exclusively. No trucks from some manufacturers in the American market. So I would say that overhead plays a larger part in this decision than customer demand. GM and Ford can charge much more for the trucks and get away with it, but cars are a much more competitive market. Of course this is all assumption on my part,....but what will GM and Ford do when the rest of the manufacturers flood the American market with decent trucks at much cheaper costs?

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Uh, customer demand is crucial in business success.
If you're making products that aren't in demand by the customers, product type needs to be revised and the uncovered overhead needs to be cut.

Basic manufacturing finance....Business 101

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Volt was a POS the day it came out. No useable electric range. In my few days with one, it was lucky to get 30 miles, or halfway across town. Ya, it has a gas engine, so whats the point ? I guess you use the electric to get you to a gas station if you run out.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

The Volt was a POS the day it came out. No useable electric range. In my few days with one, it was lucky to get 30 miles, or halfway across town. Ya, it has a gas engine, so whats the point ? I guess you use the electric to get you to a gas station if you run out.

The point is that the Volt is not an electric car. The Volt is a hybrid. They choose the gas/electric for reasons only GM can full explain. My Ford Fusion is also a hybrid and it can only 2 miles on electric only. The point of a hybrid is to use less gas, NOT to be gasless. So my hybrid Ford can get 60mpg with hypermilling, and 50 driving carefully, 40 driving like any other car. So as a hybrid, the Fusion is a great car, in that it does exactly what it was made to do= use less gas. And for what it's worth the Volt hybrid is far from a POS.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 11-28-2018).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GM is bailing out of the segments where they can't compete.
Honda and Toyota continue to kick GM's azz up around its ears in the quality of their small and midsize cars.
The Impala? Nobody buys large cars, except for rental companies. Nobody else really cares.

Where the domestic makers can compete is trucks. And they do it well.

This just makes me feel a whole lot better about buying an Accord or Civic. And I'll be able to get a manual trans, too!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-28-2018).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniClick Here to Email HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GM moves actually mirror my needs. I will be purchasing a 2500HD truck and the wife is looking for something like the Bolt. If they would have made the Volt use E85 I would have purchased one already.
E

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2018 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My last GM car was an 06 HHR. I had it for 8 years with no issues. But GM said to bring it in for a recall with ignition switch issue. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the switch and a key. The new key wouldn't work in the door cylinder. I took it back to the dealer and they said the door cylinder was worn. But I use the key fob, not the key to open the door. This PO'ed me off and I started looking at new cars. I looked at the Buick version of a small SUV, (Chevy Tract) but the dealer kept telling me that it was a "luxury" car and no good deal. The Ford Escape another small SUV, but no good deal from the Ford dealers.

I looked at a KIA Sorrento, but the salesman was a jerk and would not give ne a price. I went over to a Hyundai dealer and bought a 2015 Tucson. I had a more senior citizen driver run into the side of the car. He fault and the car was repaired ($3000+) her insurance paid. I was disillusioned with the car and traded it for a 2017 Tucson. The same car just two years newer. It has been a great car with almost 22,000miles on the clock.

I'm not a fan of all electric cars as the range is a problem. I'll take a few multi day road trips and the range isn't there. As for a hybrid version, if something goes wrong on the road, it may be hard to find someone to repair. I did test drive a Volt years ago but it had a $43,000 price tag...too much.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2018 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

The point is that the Volt is not an electric car. The Volt is a hybrid. And for what it's worth the Volt hybrid is far from a POS.

I still stand by saying its a POS. Even GM finally had to admit it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock