Started on: 11-19-2018 07:04 PM
Replies: 8 (208 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 11-19-2018 11:28 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2018 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I've been talking and thinking of getting out of the city again for over a year, and recently I managed to get my saving to a place where I can do it comfortably. (Hence going out an buying a truck)

I've looked at a bunch of places and NONE of them have a garage, the best I can do is a shipping container or a temporary garage My goal is to set up my old woodworking shop from the 90's again. It's basically rustic home decor items that there is GOOD money in doing. I don't HAVE to, per se, but I really don't want to spend the next 15 years staring at a computer screen and after 3 years of "being the boss" at this gig (100% freelance) I am really not that interested in "A JOB" anymore, or anything to do with the service industries. I can now afford to set up a decent shop without needing credit.

I've come across some nicely renovated wartime properties about an hour north of here. VERY affordable in a sleepy little hamlet right on an old WW2 airfield (They were originally built as officer/ family housing). 3 bedrooms. living room, kitchen, and a full basement (none of this slab or crawl-space junk--I can find plenty of those). I'd have a small town of 5,000 about 10 minutes up the road and be about 40 minutes from the outskirts of this city.

The limitation is, working in a basement cuts down on the size of the project I can build and still be able to haul up the stairs. Mirrors, shelves, dog feeders, smaller items like that OK and don't get me wrong, there is a good buck to be had there. I can use a 12x12 mirror tile to make an entrance way key rack that sells for $75 and I'l into it under 10....BUT, the real money is in furniture dog crates, deacons benches, Adirondack chairs, deck coolers--bigger stuff that costs $50-100 or so to make and sells for $5-600+ (check these out)

https://www.wayfair.ca/pet/...=30991884%2C30991885
https://www.wayfair.ca/furn...C31132822%2C31132826

I's still be close enough to this city to keep some of my admin work clients and slowly transition away from that kind of thing.

I dunno, go for one of these places, or keep looking and hoping I can find a place with a garage or shop ? (I know what will happen, as soon as I sign the contract for this place one with EXACTLY what I want will go on the market for the same cost ).

Mulling it over is enough to drive ya crazy.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The question is: Where are you while you are leaping?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2018 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the train station...
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On a bridge between now and the future ...

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something to consider is whether there will continue to be enough demand for your product after the initial want is filled. I'm in a town of just over 7000 and I could see the market playing out, either due to the long lasting quality of the product, or the lack of quality not bring repeat or new business. If you're satisfied that the market will hold up, the rest sounds good, except in my college business classes, they always told us to do your upstart with someone else's money. My wife and I didn't take that advise and bought half of a company with our own money. Three months later, my partner had disappeared with all the company property and all but $1300 from the bank account.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-19-2018).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2018 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

At the train station...

...leap of faith!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 11-19-2018).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2018 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Something to consider is whether there will continue to be enough demand for your product after the initial want is filled. I'm in a town of just over 7000 and I could see the market playing out, either due to the long lasting quality of the product, or the lack of quality not bring repeat or new business. If you're satisfied that the market will hold up, the rest sounds good, except in my college business classes, they always told us to do your upstart with someone else's money. My wife and I didn't take that advise and bought half of a company with our own money. Three months later, my partner had disappeared with all the company property and all but $1300 from the bank account.

Actually, the market here is beyond good. I've got about 8 million within 2-21/2 hours radius. Toronto is the BIG one, they just suck up rustic and old stuff and pay top $ for it. This thing made from old skids and 6 bucks worth of dollar-store bowls is easily $75-100 in there.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 11-19-2018).]

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a possible solution to get larger things in and out of the basement.

http://unitstepjoliet.com/basement-entry-doors/
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2018 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As my former jump master told me, the only person(s) allowed in the plane when landing is the pilot and those folks who failed to follow through. There is no question about the reliabity of the rig, only the self confidence of the jumper.

I was scared $hitless but, I did it. Fear of the uncertain causes an adrenalin rush. There's the door..............

Rams

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock