Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Why GM Cancelled The 1973-1978 GMC MotorHome.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why GM Cancelled The 1973-1978 GMC MotorHome. by Boondawg
Started on: 11-19-2018 11:43 AM
Replies: 5 (341 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-28-2018 02:53 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2018 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2018 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahh... so the Airstream one is also built off the GM platform as well? That's pretty cool.

I've always liked that vehicle style.

I have one sitting on my desk, but it's decked out in Atari stuff.

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The actual reason it died was easy: the Toronados powertrain was being downgraded for 1979. It wasn't practical for GM to keep the older powertrain just for the motorhome, and as many people were buying trucks, well there you go.
As for my 78 model, it's getting modern EFI, and a 500 CI Cadillac. It's the hot rod with plumbing.
We also have modern 1 ton frontend and all wheel disc brakes and revised air suspension for them. The GMC moths a support industry much as the fiero does.

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 11-26-2018).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2018 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

The actual reason it died was easy: the Toronados powertrain was being downgraded for 1979. It wasn't practical for GM to keep the older powertrain just for the motorhome, and as many people were buying trucks, well there you go.
As for my 78 model, it's getting modern EFI, and a 500 CI Cadillac. It's the hot rod with plumbing.
We also have modern 1 ton frontend and all wheel disc brakes and revised air suspension for them. The GMC moths a support industry much as the fiero does.

Phenomenally interesting!
Of course, ya' gotta' remember who started the conversation...so I'm a little partial!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I liked them myself. I have a friend who loves them and has several. Another friend races SCCA and bought one. He took off the rear panel and attached heavy hinges at the bottom and a winch with cables at the top. He gutted most of the rear 2/3rds of the interior. He hauls his Sunbeam Tiger in it to races. Just lowers the rear end down which becomes a ramp, and drives it in. Front still has the cabinets for tool and parts storage.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock