Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Generation Wealth...(Those 3 Dots Are Called "Ellipsis", And...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Generation Wealth...(Those 3 Dots Are Called "Ellipsis", And... by Boondawg
Started on: 11-17-2018 11:03 PM
Replies: 7 (196 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 11-18-2018 02:36 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2018 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...Indicate a pause in speech for reasons of "confusion, insecurity, distress, or uncertainty")...

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 11-17-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Indicate a pause in speech for reasons of "confusion, insecurity, distress, or uncertainty)...

The flaw in this movie (from what little I can garner in the trailer) is that they assume money is the constant here... but it's not, it's behavior.

There are plenty of people with substantial means that live VERY modest lives considering the wealthy they've amassed. It's all about upbringing and learned behavior.
There are two very common traits among the wealthy that lead to this kind of behavior:

1 - Someone who grew up with very little and becomes suddenly wealthy, and nothing ever becomes good enough (and they often end up losing it all)
2 - Someone who grew up with wealth, but never earned it themselves, and was never taught by their parents the meaning of hard work.

In either case, it's usually a lack of understanding of the value of money.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the risk of sounding like a nit-pick, the proper usage of the ellipsis is to denote an area where text was omitted, usually for the sake of brevity (for example, in a quote).

Just FYI

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-18-2018).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2018 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
The flaw in this movie (from what little I can garner in the trailer) is that they assume money is the constant here... but it's not, it's behavior.

There are plenty of people with substantial means that live VERY modest lives considering the wealthy they've amassed. It's all about upbringing and learned behavior.
There are two very common traits among the wealthy that lead to this kind of behavior:

1 - Someone who grew up with very little and becomes suddenly wealthy, and nothing ever becomes good enough (and they often end up losing it all)
2 - Someone who grew up with wealth, but never earned it themselves, and was never taught by their parents the meaning of hard work.

In either case, it's usually a lack of understanding of the value of money.

I've noticed a 3rd "issue" the past 10 years. It existed before the 07-08 recession but has spun WAY out-of-control since then. The issue is employers/ companies that work on the OPM principal and expect staff to be their banks. The one I am thinking of right now is a neighbor 2 floor down (although I've been there myself twice). He is an HVAC tech and literally spending himself into the poorhouse just to keep the job. He would be miles ahead to quit and go get a minimum wage job, or set up his own company so he can control costs. He was up last night and just had to buy a brand-new dedicated work laptop. That's this week, every week is something different. A few month ago they made him go lease a new truck because his was too old (company supplied the truck when he started). Its the exact same thing the teachers have been complaining about forever (having to buy classroom supplies out of their own pocket). At least as somebody self-employed I have the freedom to control the costs by buying used/ refurb when I need it, or turning down jobs that make no sense financially. Employees don't have that option, and while its easy to tell them to just find another job, THAT can be a lot harder than it sounds when virtually every place has jumped on the bandwagon and is doing the same thing. I feel for him, I know when I was working as a tech it was regular for me to go thru $500+ a week in parts and supplies on the road, and getting it back next month doesn't quite cut it when the car or rent or whatever is due this month.

You do literally end up as last priority in your own life, simply because the company is too cheap to pay its own operating costs. You are right on the behavior issue though. That guys doesn't NEED a 2018 truck to do the job, my 2003 would do the same thing for 1/10th the price. My $200-$300 refurb laptops do the job just as well as that $1100 machine he just picked up. My $100 ZTE phone works just as well as his $900 iPhone...Its all about his employer wanting to project an image of wealth and success while having somebody else pay for it.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 11-18-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

At the risk of sounding like a nit-pick, the proper usage of the ellipsis is to denote an area where text was omitted, usually for the sake of brevity (for example, in a quote).

Just FYI

So, ellips is not the latest kissing emoji?

But, the alpacalips is still impending, right?

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Like most Powerball et al "winners" that go bankrupt in a few years or even sooner.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2018 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Like most Powerball et al "winners" that go bankrupt in a few years or even sooner.

[/QUOTE]

Yup..and I really believe with most of them its not their own spending and "wants", its mostly what they get pressured into by family, friends, and high-pressure sales types. Honestly I had my own problems with that when I bought my truck last week. I walked off of 6 different car lots simply because the sales guys were DETERMINED to sell me something about 5-times what I wanted to spend and put it on payments. I also had to tell a few neighbors and "friends" to frack off and MYOB, I don't need a luxury car I needed a truck that I can haul "stuff" with.

The other "trap" people get into is "good deal" that will be useful in the future. Unless you have a specific plan or goal, you have just blown a pile of cash on something that is going to sit in storage or on a shelf for months and years until you actually need it, if ever. That is exactly how I ended with a 12x12 shed FULL of tools and equipment when dad was sick. I had this vision of setting up my own shop again and even though I didnt have the place to do it, had this mentality that I'd find one after he died...but things didnt work out that way, and there went a sheet-pile of money my siblings decided to help themselves to.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2018 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone knows that money can't buy happiness. The difference between the rich and the poor is that the rich have proof.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock