Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  What Ive Been Working On for a While Now...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What Ive Been Working On for a While Now... by rogergarrison
Started on: 11-08-2018 03:30 PM
Replies: 18 (399 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-13-2018 11:32 AM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost ready for paint. Its going to either Mecum or Barret -Jackson auction in a couple months. 74 Dodge Dart Sport, 70k, all rest original, Torque Thrust wheels, 340 / 4 bbl, 727, 410, bench seat...rare factory air. I removed factory vinyl half top. 325 hp @ 6000 rpm. Completely rust free, never wrecked, barn find.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-08-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! What color?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Sweet! What color?

Since the chrome is just taped off, and not removed, I'm guessing he's going back with the stock powder blue.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Since the chrome is just taped off, and not removed, I'm guessing he's going back with the stock powder blue.

I noticed that.
Hopefully Roger, you are pulling the bumpers, lights and trim before actually painting.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a dodge fan but that things sweet!

shem
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2018 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope. Im leaving it just like it is, theres nothing under the bumpers that is body color so no reason to bother. As far as the rest, its getting paint just like it is in pics. It has orig paint and im an excellent masker, No one could tell if anything was taken off unless they take it back apart. I also dont want to risk any broken fasters on a 45 year old car. Replacement stuff is expensive. I spent $60k on parts for my SuperBee and thats not happening again. This is just a nice, easy flip. Im expecting maybe $25k. The whole bottom side is heavy black undercoated...bumper to bumper and rocker to rocker.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2018 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note to self, don't buy a vehicle painted by Roger.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2018 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fine, like I care. I have done many award winning show paint jobs. Some even for museums and have done Barrett-Jackson cars before. Ive even been in books on customizing about them . You? Tell me exactly what is wrong about not taking a bumper off for a paint job is there is no paint anywhere near the bumper or grill. Ya, if you have a wreck, some of the unpainted portions may show up, but who would care. Id much rather do that than send the car to a sale with missing moldings, glass or other parts that could not be reattached because the part or fasteners are on a 4 month back order. Like I said, I can prep a car where even an expert cant tell if it was taken apart or not. Ive had many Corvette customers get NCRS Bloomington Gold certified as all original when Ive painted nearly, or nearly the whole car. Ive even perfected a method to duplicate bonding seams in a repaired Corvettes that look completely original.

Keep your comments to yourself. You dont have to worry, id never sell a car to you anyway if I know who you are.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-11-2018).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2018 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Nope. Im leaving it just like it is, theres nothing under the bumpers that is body color so no reason to bother. As far as the rest, its getting paint just like it is in pics. It has orig paint and im an excellent masker, No one could tell if anything was taken off unless they take it back apart. I also dont want to risk any broken fasters on a 45 year old car. Replacement stuff is expensive. I spent $60k on parts for my SuperBee and thats not happening again. This is just a nice, easy flip. Im expecting maybe $25k. The whole bottom side is heavy black undercoated...bumper to bumper and rocker to rocker.

Cars like that never came with clearcoat, so I guess there's really no reason to paint all the way to the flange of the panels... since, with modern technology, the paint just matches perfectly...
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2018 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been painting cars for 35 years so surely Roger knows as well as I do that you can not get the paint to stick properly around the sidemarker lights, tail lights and trim etc. like you can than if you remove it to have the paint under the edges. Might last a year, might last a few but it will eventually lift around anything taped like that. To say "mine won't " is BS. Hell it would be quicker to pull most of the parts than tape around them anyway. To say a paint job done like this is going to Barrett-Jackson or Mecum is a joke. It is a Macco hackjob at best. If the goal is to turn a quick buck, sell it for what it is like it is before wrecking it with a crap paint job that the buyer will have to deal with down tbe road. Like Jay Leno said, if you are making money restoring cars, you are doing it wrong.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Won't comment on painting, I'm not a painter so, my opinion isn't worth squat.

I do wonder about the project car bringing the money Roger expects to get. I'll be surprised if it gets anywhere near $25k.
But, I'm not a big Mopar fan (with the exception of the Challenger).

Please let us know how much it sells for. Always possible I am wrong. That happened once before.

Rams
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive been custom painting twice as long as you. If you sand properly...all the way to edges, I have absolutely no problem with paint sticking in problem areas. Ive had my own cars that were painted together go for 20 years without any peeling. If you have paint peeling in those areas you dont know what your doing. Now if someone wanted it apart to paint, thats fine and ill do it for a price. This is going as a driver, not a rotisserie restoration and its advertised like that. If I took it apart, and had to replace half the parts and all the glued on rubber seals, it would add months to the job and double the price. For someone who just wants a cool fast car to drive and go to cruise ins, a $20-$25 k car is a great buy. Im doing it like I would for myself to drive all the time except in snow...just like the SuperBee. Its not meant to go to a museum or millionaires car collection. Its got to be there ready to sell with some interior work too, like new carpet in just about a month.

It wont be any trouble to match, originally they were painted with enamel. If you think modern paints are easy matches, your totally wrong. Its nearly impossible to get perfect matches anymore. Even blacks and whites are problematic. Cadillac one year even had 11 shades of the same pearle white...not including variants of each of them. Some colors, like some on Corvettes, GM tech bullletins even require a complete car paint job when any parts are damaged. Insurance companies hate that. They used to argue about it, till Id give them a copy of the bulletins. Anniversary Red Met, is one of those colors...and it must go only over a special white base. Same with later yellow Corvettes.

Ive NEVER had a dissatisfied customer in all my years since 1964. I have a lot of customers who have been bringing their vehicles to me for 30-40 years. Some are even 3rd generation...dads, their kids, then their grand kids. One of my driver Mercedes SLs I painted in 1990, still shows up at car shows around town. All that was taken off of it was wipers, bumpers and door handles. I still occasionally see some of my custom van paint jobs running around and looking good from the 70s. They were all brand new vans and not a single piece was removed. They were all completely converted before coming into the paint shop. I did 3 a day, 5 days a week for over 11 years.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys in our city wish we had a local "Fiero guy" who could hold a spray gun properly.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

I do wonder about the project car bringing the money Roger expects to get. I'll be surprised if it gets anywhere near $25k.

Rams

Yeah, he's dreaming.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lambo nut

4442 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

If you have paint peeling in those areas you dont know what your doing.

I don't have any paint peeling in any areas because I know what I'm doing, and do it right instead of being lazy and taping around sh!t.

Seems like all you have done is fool a lot of people into thinking you know what you're doing.

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 11-12-2018).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2018 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yuppers, all the great painters, Michelangelo, Picasso, and others all masked off for that professional paint application?

Stay frosty bro! I am betting that if I browse a bit, I will find the Tesla nut cupping threads. Don't forget the ballz there Roger.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya Ive been fooling people for 55 years...

All old cars are all over the board.

heres one, nothing original, spray canned flat primer, and tons of missing parts\ $10.500.

https://classics.autotrader...dodge/dart/100992557

heres another, fully restored frame off, painted window chrome, hillbilly hood, aftermarket gauges\ $65,000.

https://classics.autotrader...dodge/dart/100929123

Mines pretty well placed for what it is pretty much right in between. We shall see in Jan. True value only shows when buyers say what they will pay. Pricing guides are pretty much worthless except in generality. NADA price for a car might be only $5000, but buyers may pay $75,000 if they want it bad enough. If they dont pay enough, maybe ill just bring it home and drive it for the next 10 years. I need a car cruise -in vehicle anyway. I dont have to sell anything.

Well enough said. I had a few friends here ask what Id been doing, hence the original post. You dont like it, I dont care Im not selling it to you so its none of your friggin business. You only been painting 35 years ?,,,ya typical know it all new age painter that dont know squat. I cant help it your too blind to be able to see what you tape, so you just go ripping parts off. I dont know why I keep bothering to even look in this website any more. Everyone for the most part is anti anything they dont like. Im a much happier person when Im not on here listening to all the flakes telling everyone else theyre all wrong about anything, but have no skills themselves. Maybe Ill just tell my friends here to email me instead of pming here and tell the rest of you to suck me. I dont know why ive even been here all this time when ive always thought Fieros were crap cars to begin with. If they hadnt made so many kits that used them as a platform, id never have given one a second glance. Yugos have a following too, and they have a comparable interest.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-12-2018).]

iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2018 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just curious on what book value is for this and so when I looked up a 1974 Dart Sport I found that the 340 engine was discontinued after the '73 model year; probably just a typo. In any case, Hagerty shows a #1 Concours car worth about $17K and half that for a #2 excellent car.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2018 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...and like I said, no one can place a book value on a collectible. Its value is what someone will pay at any given time. Like above link shows, one is going for $65k. NADA says concours is $11,000, thats a wide difference. Just watching the auctions, im still shooting for somewhere close to $25,000. High bid could be $5,000 or could be $40,000...thats why theres auctions.

Also, this is meant to be a nice semi original driver, not a restoration. Ive got 2 weeks to get it done, then do some mechanicals like changing all the fluids, and belts, tune up, then some repairs to the drivers side seat and new carpet, and recover package tray. A restoration, taking it apart and replacing rubber seals, polishing stainless and so on is at least a 6 month job. This is a quick flip. It would take a month or more to simply order and get new seals. It is taking two weeks just to get the stripe kit...and its still not here.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock