Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anyone familiar with the Kia/Hyundai engine recall?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone familiar with the Kia/Hyundai engine recall? by Raydar
Started on: 11-04-2018 10:21 PM
Replies: 6 (180 views)
Last post by: Old Lar on 11-09-2018 01:42 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.caranddriver.co...-for-engine-failures

So... the recall is good for ten years or 120,000 miles.
Is it only good for original owners? Or subsequent owners too? (Friend of mine just bought a 2013 Optima. Engine knocks like hell. All the symptoms mentioned in the article.)

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The recall should be for any owner of the vehicle. I was the 3rd owner of a 2007 Dodge truck and received several airbag replacement recall notices. They sent me a notice at least twice a month.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2018 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NHTSA ordered recalls are for "life of vehicle" not how many owns it.
In fact Fiero Pinto and other recalls are still valid but good luck trying to get a dealer to touch them.
No car co will keep parts and recall parts/kits forever. Recall parts can be limited run parts and easily run out. Even if they had parts, After 15-20 years the money and space to store old parts that won't fit new models eats bottom line so GM lets them go out of inventory.
See my Cave, Do You Recall?

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2018 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm not surprised that it covers multiple owners. Was just a question in my mind. When I posted last night, it was at the end of a very long day.

Friend called the dealer this morning. They told him they'd just "have to run a test", before they could commit to an engine replacement. I'm guessing that hearing the rods rattling around inside the engine will be enough of a "test" to warrant a replacement.
They told him that there is still a two month backlog for a new engine replacement.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2018 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep us informed of the recall decision. Which engine is for the recall? I have a 2017 Hyundai, bought new as a daily driver with a basic 4 cylinder. Just turned 21K miles.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2018 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:
Keep us informed of the recall decision. Which engine is for the recall? I have a 2017 Hyundai, bought new as a daily driver with a basic 4 cylinder. Just turned 21K miles.
Just go to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls to find any recall that applies to your vehicle.
Many use carfax etc and never go to NHTSA. Problem is carfax etc often miss report and claim no recalls.

alternately call most dealer service and ask to check recall(s) for a VIN in their database from car manufacturers.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I take the car back to the dealer( free oil changes for life) and the last time I was in I had a letter from Hyundai about a "problem" and the dealer said they had already fix the issue as it was just a computer reprogramming issue. The car has worked like a champ since I've owned it. Nothing on my car from the list.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock