Started on: 10-23-2018 06:05 PM
Replies: 24 (435 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 11-08-2018 11:11 PM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like LAs Hyperloop is near reality. It starts operation on a two mile section Dec 10, with one day free use for passengers Dec 11.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just in time for all the Guatemalans to ride it to the welfare office.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing wrong with dreaming.....

Until it turns into a nightmare......

Rams
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are many things that California needs. A supersonic earthworm is not one of them.

The way I understand it, it will go between L.A. and Frisco. Isn't that kind of like finding a shortcut between the dentist and your mother in law's house?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-24-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two miles......
It's a start, I suppose....
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything that can fix the 405 parking lot would be welcome.
I don't want to take it I just want less jackholes on the road.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, 2 miles is a start anyway. Naysayers have been saying nothing would ever happen with it, but obviously something is. 2 miles would get me half way downtown from my house, so it is usable. Theyre looking at building one from Pittsburgh thru Columbus to Chicago.The one proposed would get you from Columbus to Chicago in less than 30 mins.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could this be construed as a pipe dream?

Rams
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Two miles......
It's a start, I suppose....

Not sure how much starting is going to happen. How fast can you go and then slow to a stop in 2 miles? I can't imagine this being something viable with a 2 mile run.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still think it's a money sink. I can't find anything about this online either. Got a link?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is just the first link out of a bunch I got on Google in 10 seconds

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10...st-tunnel/index.html
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

This is just the first link out of a bunch I got on Google in 10 seconds

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10...st-tunnel/index.html

First, that's CNN.... Fake news site aside, this is a test track, not the hyperloop? Perhaps that's why when I Googled 'hyperloop' it just came up with a bunch of old articles.

Not sure why you are being a D all of the sudden, did I do something to you man?

Brad
Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fats

5567 posts
Member since Jan 2012
I don't really care for the guy that does these videos, but I'm curious about how accurate he is on things. I'd like to know if "Thunderfoot" is full of crap, or if Musk is. I'd like to believe Musk as I like him a bit, but he's burned us before.

If the video doesn't work. The Hyperloop: BUSTED! By: Thunderf00t

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what happened to our great priced, taxpayer funded, 100 billion dollar bullshit....er.......bullet train?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
simply saying it was easy to find with google under hyperloop. i just put on the first link. i dont even know what all it said. nothing about that is being a dick. According to news bit on it, its just testing the first completed portion. I guess this particular one is supposed to connect downtown LA with LAX when completed.

All the Musk haters keep calling everything he does fraud, yet he keeps right on doing exactly what he says he will do. The government cant even do that. I know that was CNN, heres NBC...I dont know what you would consider a credible source, but suggest you might go for a ride Dec 11 on the 'fake' one. I would assume an actual ride would make it credible.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mac...true-soon-ncna855041

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 10-25-2018).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2018 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

simply saying it was easy to find with google under hyperloop. i just put on the first link. i dont even know what all it said. nothing about that is being a dick. According to news bit on it, its just testing the first completed portion. I guess this particular one is supposed to connect downtown LA with LAX when completed.

OK, perhaps I was reading you wrong. The link I read Just said it was a short test section, and Musk was going to have a party.... Not a lot of info.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2018 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe most are getting this wrong. Musk has two different things going on. Hyperloop and Tunnels from his Boring Company.

Musk is only consulting on and brought out the idea of hyperloops for transportation between cities. He isn't actually building any hyperloops (which is above group tubes).

Musk's Boring Company is meant for, within the city, a network of 3-D road systems to alleviate traffic from above. Like a 3-D subway system, not meant for bullet train speeds or anything like that.

This LA tunnel is not a hyperloop, but considered a loop.

https://www.boringcompany.com/

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 10-26-2018).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2018 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a little thought into this. Not much admittedly but, I'm not sure I want to travel underground in CA. Especially anywhere near those fault lines. I guess CA residents consider it part of living there.

Rams
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fault lines? Did someone say "fault" lines? Whose "fault" is this?

The New Madrid fault zone ... is a long-established weakness in the Earth’s crust in the central and eastern US, where earthquakes have occurred for hundreds of millions of years. In 1811-1812, three large earthquakes (up to magnitude 7.5) caused severe damage to the area. At the time, the region was sparsely populated; today it is a critical economic hub centered around Memphis, Tennessee, with a unique confluence of transportation and distribution centers. Small earthquakes still occur here regularly, and large earthquakes will occur here into the future, affecting all or part of at least 15 states in the central and eastern US.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Expected shaking intensity of a magnitude 7.5 earthquake on the New Madrid central fault. Greens to yellows indicate moderate to strong shaking; oranges to reds indicate severe to extreme shaking and moderate to heavy damage. Credit: US Geological Survey.

Visiting Paducah, Kentucky is the new "sitting at a work desk." After sitting at a work desk became the new "smoking."

"Is Middle America Due For a Huge Earthquake?"
Peter Brannen, for The Atlantic; June 23, 2016.
https://www.theatlantic.com...n-earthquake/486623/

"Earthquake Hazards near the New Madrid Fault Zone"
Phyllis Steckel and Ben Mandler, for the American Geosciences Institute: February 26, 2018.
https://www.americangeoscie...ew-madrid-fault-zone

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 10-28-2018).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Fault lines? Did someone say "fault" lines? Whose "fault" is this?

Visiting Paducah, Kentucky is the new "sitting at a work desk." After sitting at a work desk became the new "smoking."

"Is Middle America Due For a Huge Earthquake?"
Peter Brannen, for The Atlantic; June 23, 2016.
https://www.theatlantic.com...n-earthquake/486623/

"Earthquake Hazards near the New Madrid Fault Zone"
Phyllis Steckel and Ben Mandler, for the American Geosciences Institute: February 26, 2018.
https://www.americangeoscie...ew-madrid-fault-zone

Your point?
I wouldn't recommend a hyper loop anywhere the New Madrid Fault Zone either.

Rams
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
Your point? I wouldn't recommend a hyper loop anywhere the New Madrid Fault Zone either.

Fair enough. Just wanted to highlight that California isn't the only one of the 50 states that has the potential for structural damages and human casualties from seismic events. But this Hyper Loop project is in California, and not in any of the 49 other states. So I wasn't moving with the flow of the conversation when I went off about the New Madrid fault zone.

My fault.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 10-28-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

OK, perhaps I was reading you wrong. The link I read Just said it was a short test section, and Musk was going to have a party.... Not a lot of info.

Were good

Fats

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2018 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tks...
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2018 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of the beginning of the Beach Pneumatic Transit (but hopefully not also the end) ...

Beach Pneumatic Transit Wiki

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock