Started on: 09-20-2018 08:02 PM
Replies: 12 (288 views)
Last post by: CoryFiero on 10-19-2018 10:27 PM
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a Komatsu excavator I use frequently. It feels like the power it had when first acquired has waned since then. It's had oil changed, new fuel filter, new lift pump, new fuel lines, new air cleaners and hydraulic oil change all within the last year. But the power still just doesn't feel there like it used to. It's still usable but some things have become difficult to do with it. Could a turbo, like get dirty and lose compression? Maybe a leak in the inter-cooler or plumbing? Sheared vanes on the impellers? Could any of those cause a noticeable loss in power without some obvious kind of failure sign showing? Do turbo's even generally ever fail like that?

I will admit, when it comes to turbo's I really only know what I've read. I have to practical experience in diagnosing a possible turbo related problem. I may be looking in the wrong spot even. Maybe the hydraulic pump is just getting old and worn out. It just doesn't sound like the engine is revving as high as it did originally.

Thanks for any input. I got a part number for the turbo and the hydraulic pump. I'm going to see what I can find but I'd imagine the turbo will be a fraction of the cost of a hydraulic pump for a sizable excavator.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My experience is only with big trucks, but a leak in the charge air cooler can cause a gradual loss in power. They can be pressure tested. A turbo will fail quickly and often cause smoke in the exhaust.
An injector failure will cause rough running and sometimes make a metallic knocking noise, but can usually be diagnosed by aiming a laser thermometer at each exhaust port (at the manifold).

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-20-2018).]

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Thanks for any input.

Are you sure you're not just trying to dig harder dirt?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2018 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see the problem... it's not a Cat. đŸ˜‚
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have a boost gauge, compare the boost levels to the factory specs. If it's significantly low, you may have a boost leak.

Also, is it a direct injection engine? If so, take a peek in the intake manifold. DI engines have a habit of clogging the intake manifold with PCV gunk. Over time, it can restrict the intake enough to lose power.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As others have said, check for air leaks.

I've ran into the spring clamps that actually spread a bit when you "give it the beans", and you'd never know there was a leak otherwise.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I see the problem... it's not a Cat. đŸ˜‚

I love those yellow motors

I do not usually like their forklifts, but I got to drive a 22,000 lbs Cat lift with a 3208 a few times. That one, I liked.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19405 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by Blacktree:

If you have a boost gauge, compare the boost levels to the factory specs. If it's significantly low, you may have a boost leak.

When I first started driving, trucks had pyrometers, manifold pressure gauges and a host of other gauges providing useful information. By the 1990's, most of that was gone. Most drivers nowadays would not have a clue as to how to use that info, anyways.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks you all for the replies. I will check to see if it's direct injection. I'll also see if I it has a boost gauge on it. Stupidest thing is the status cluster hasn't worked right since he bought it. It shows temp and fuel level just fine but I don't think any of the displays below that, or any of the indicator lights below that, work. When I'm switching between the various output selections I usually have to turn it off and restart it. Then count the beeps as I press the advance button until I've gone the needed number of beeps for the different outputs. Same with track speed. Hi, Me or Lo and no lights to show which you are currently in. I've been trying to get him to let me put a new cluster in it for years. Around $800 for the cluster though so...

Edit: Oh and I'm not a big fan of Cats.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 09-21-2018).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On modern diesel engines with a common fuel rail you check the injector flow balance to diagnose faulty injectors. Also you take off the oil fill cap while running to see if there is excessive piston blow by. Just some quick and dirty tests to check the health of the engine.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2018 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I found the problem. The fuel injector pump ran off the crank pully has 2 belts on it. One of them has snapped and the other was loose in comparison. Tightened up that one and have 2 new belts on order. I am unsure if it is 100% of what it used to be but so far it’s much better than it was. Thanks all. Your suggestions got me looking at the injectors and the pump which made me notice the drive belts for them.

Edit: I just got back from breaking up some ground to scoop and screen, and the excavators power it tons better. Even running smoother and cooler again. Of course I need to fill up that 100 gallon tank on it again now. /sigh Gravity feed diesel tank is so boring to fill from.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-11-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2018 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's good to hear. I'm glad it was a simple and inexpensive fix. Now, get back to work!
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2018 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know you found the issue - but Im curious if you could share the turbo PN. For reasons.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock