Dark ages / A.I. , the rate of learning, etc...talk by 2.5
Started on: 09-19-2018 04:56 PM
Replies: 17 (303 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 10-19-2018 08:23 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From 2 minutes

My thoughts are if there is another "Dark Ages" it would be more along the lines of a "no electricity age" possibly due to A.I. getting out of control, and the only answer to try being to pull the plug, on everything.

Whenever the media talks about A.I....They show the vids of robots. I actually think robots are ALOT less relevant than people think. Its the digital intelligence running everything we already use that would be the issue, things we need to use.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Your cell phone and the internet already made you superhuman... bandwidth is the limitation"
"A high bandwidth interface to the cortex."

So if that was integrated to the human body, imagine how much difficulty and resistance there would be in "going back" to just human.
Also makes me imagine our future controversies being at what age is it ok to "plug in" your kids.
Who gets the right to "plug in", and why? Etc.

Cyborg (/ˈsaɪbɔːrɡ/) short for "cybernetic organism")
is a being with both organic and biomechatronic body parts. The term was coined in 1960 by Manfred Clynes and Nathan S. Kline.[1]

The term cyborg is not the same thing as bionic, biorobot or android; it applies to an organism that has restored function or enhanced abilities due to the integration of some artificial component or technology that relies on some sort of feedback.[2] While cyborgs are commonly thought of as mammals, including humans, they might also conceivably be any kind of organism.

D. S. Halacy's Cyborg: Evolution of the Superman in 1965 featured an introduction which spoke of a "new frontier" that was "not merely space, but more profoundly the relationship between 'inner space' to 'outer space' – a bridge...between mind and matter."[3]

In popular culture, some cyborgs may be represented as visibly mechanical (e.g., Cyborg from DC Comics, the Cybermen in the Doctor Who franchise or The Borg from Star Trek or Darth Vader from Star Wars) or as almost indistinguishable from humans (e.g., the "Human" Cylons from the re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica, etc.). Cyborgs in fiction often play up a human contempt for over-dependence on technology, particularly when used for war, and when used in ways that seem to threaten free will.[citation needed] Cyborgs are also often portrayed with physical or mental abilities far exceeding a human counterpart
" -wiki

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-19-2018).]

MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2018 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What we are entering is a dark age of human memory and intellect.

Even looking at myself, 20 years ago I knew *sh*t*. I remembered facts and figures and procedures. Now, I only remember where to look them up.

That's in one generation. What happens in 3 or 5 ? Tech and smart devices have made it too easy to know everything but remember nothing. If it ever goes dark we are well and truly screwed
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And "who" is behind the info the devices will provide to us?

Many have said they lean "left", and its a tactle experience when surfing and navigating...

Free will in the future will be difficult to retain.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2018 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Excellent point.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2018 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
Wow.
This guy is talking about quantum computers. This is a whole other level, brushing/branching into a whole other topic.

Google and NASA working on it?

From 11:30 he details some of the tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clW1zl95amw

He uses words like "zealot", "nature", "alternate reality", "altar to a god", "nexus of two parallel universes", "living in that chip", "pull their resources back into our world", "We've been doing this for some time now, the past 9 years." Humanity is on the cusp" "Machines will be better than us" He also has predictions.

Ever see the TV series Fringe? Travelers? Heard the term "Ghost in the machine"?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-26-2018).]

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2018 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Even looking at myself, 20 years ago I knew *sh*t*. I remembered facts and figures and procedures. Now, I only remember where to look them up.

That's in one generation. What happens in 3 or 5 ? Tech and smart devices have made it too easy to know everything but remember nothing. If it ever goes dark we are well and truly screwed

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy?

Joe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2018 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How true, at the same time A.I. is in its infantcy and ready to boom, we grow dumber.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-04-2018).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2018 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tech and smart devices have made it too easy to know everything but remember nothing.
If it ever goes dark we are well and truly screwed

I have books on how to do stuff.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2018 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Feed me more of the videos.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2018 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Feed me more of the videos.

If you find some you feel are relevant feel free to post

I may come across some more too.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2018 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
Some basic info of how a few various areas are already looking at using A.I.

This video is from June 2017, already one year old:

This from Feb 2018

(last half is less boring)

I am amazed at how many vids there are about this stuff on youtube now. Many are boring

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-08-2018).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2018 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2018 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stuff people might like about A.I.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Many have said they lean "left", and its a tactle experience when surfing and navigating...

Check this out from 2:49.
What could be considered leftist jokes during the speech.

How to sell something emotionless by using emotion...

"A.I. superpowers U.S. and China"

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-09-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2018 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
From 3 minutes.
This guy ends up giving a decent overview of the whole situation.
With very good points.

link to vid on youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_5sAburz5Q&t=28s
(His little advertisement ends at 9:48)

That vid is almost a year old already.

Side note what kind of weird accent is that? Like a British accent with a southern drawl?

-

One more good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnT1xgZgkpk

-
I hope this thread is at least entertaining if not informing or thought provoking.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-09-2018).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2018 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen most of these videos. This topic totally fascinates me. The one with Elon dicussing the bandwidth of thought was enlightening. Another good source if you are into this stuff is Ted Talks on YouTube. I spend whole afternoons watching over the weekends.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-19-2018 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even though right now I earn a living with it, I am more and more every day questioning if I even want technology in my life.

I really AM beyond sick-n-tired of it, and get angrier with it day-by-day. I am no longer running IT, the tech is running ME--dictating when I can and cant do things.

Just one example--tonight I felt like killing an hour playing Neverwinter. I open the game, and get slammed with a major patch/ update. I have no say in the matter of when or if it gets installed, the software company simply took over and basically said "f*ck you, its happening NOW, and you dont get to play tonight". Windows 10 was the same sheet. A bunch of my Android apps are the same.

I really dont need the grief or a power-struggle with a piece of machinery. I REALLY dont and am getting to "f*ck it, its not worth it" point.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock