FM transmitter? Bluetooth speaker? by 2.5
Started on: 09-17-2018 03:11 PM
Replies: 6 (170 views)
Last post by: spark1 on 09-21-2018 05:10 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm looking for an FM transmitter with a far reach, for example a hundred yards. Hopefully 110v?

The use would be at a car show that I organize, I could maybe plug a transmitter into my music source and then let attendees tune their car radios to the station.
This would hopefully help reach areas on the other side of the building where my 2 wired speakers don't. Plus its kind of a novelty.
Looking to do this on a fairly tight budget.
A large percentage of my attendees are older folks, this would be kinda simple and they would likely think it was cool.
Plus I wouldn't have to buy another speaker of any sort. Or I could use any old boombox and tune in my station.

The other option is a blue tooth speaker with a range of maybe 100 yards, and an item I can plug into my source and project the bluetooth signal.
Any thoughts welcome.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-17-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how far they will reach but have been to some home Christmas displays in the past that broadcast the music over the fm band so you can hear it in the vehicle. Sign out front telling where to tune. Maybe a place to start?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't run FM more then a few feet or FCC can shut you down and fine you or worse.
"Mr Microphone" and related products are legal but only has enough power to reach radios/receivers a few feet away. More can get you in big trouble and fast w/o correct licensing.
All it takes is 1 person at a show or a neighbor to the show to call FCC.
FCC may not come right away but they and cops can knock at your door or search your place looking for "Pirate Radio" equipment. If/When you cause interference to other license channels the more likely the FCC and cops will call on you.

BT WiFi and other signal strengths are regulated by FCC too even tho doesn't require a License to run. You can legally get better antennas that may help but boosting radio output is illegal in most countries. To the point if you follow WiFi news, In a nutshell FCC is/was trying to force WiFi makers to use locked radios and software because many users have moded firmware or DDwrt et al run the WiFi radio output above legal limits. WiFi in cities have big enough problems w/o some fool running their WiFi at max output the radio can generate ignoring legal limits.

BT has 4 classes w/ Class 1 and max ~100m but most BT consumer devices are Class 2 max ~10m or higher w/ less ranges. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Uses You can try BT but Most can't reach those distances because of crap antennas. Worse Most BT devices can't use better antennas w/o major mods. You can get BT speakers or plugin BT for any power speakers on Ebay, Amazon, etc. Plugins have USB for power and 1/8" "headphone" jack for audio out.

You also can try running WiFi 2.4ghz (WiFi G, N and AC) to get more range outdoors and connect remote power speakers to old laptop etc but may not reach if area is big.
5ghz WiFi has a shorter range and doesn't bend around or go thru building etc. 2.4ghz is better but doesn't like going thru walls etc either.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know if it would be any help, and it may or may not be expensive. Mid Ohio Race Track has a system to broadcast its announcers during races to fans all over the track on FM radio, in addition to random placed hardwired loudspeakers . Its only good inside the track property maybe about a 1 1/2 mile radius. Outside the fence signal goes away quickly. So they obviously have some kind of FM transmitter on site. Might just call the track and see if you can get some info from a technician there.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 09-18-2018).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as mentioned above, FCC license needed but:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25...e:g:zCUAAOSwbJla8kY7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

as mentioned above, FCC license needed but:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25...e:g:zCUAAOSwbJla8kY7

I guess needing a license rules that out. Plus the cost.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get a Scosche FMT4 low power radio transmitter from from Wal*Mart for less than $8.00.

If you want a little more power (not legal), modify it as shown here https://lowpowerradio.blogs...m-radio-station.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock