Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Zodiacal light, September (autumn) equinox edition. Eerie glow returns to night sky.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Zodiacal light, September (autumn) equinox edition. Eerie glow returns to night sky. by rinselberg
Started on: 09-15-2018 07:23 AM
Replies: 16 (317 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 09-18-2018 01:56 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2018 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look for a cone-shaped glow that points nearly straight up from the eastern horizon shortly before morning twilight begins (around 5 a.m. local daylight time at mid-northern latitudes). The moon remains out of the morning sky until September 23, when the waxing gibbous [phase] returns and overwhelms the much fainter Zodiacal light.

An excerpt from a very brief report from Richard Talcott in Astronomy(.com); September 10, 2018. Includes photo image.
http://www.astronomy.com/ob...usive-zodiacal-light

There's a more extensive writeup, with another photograph and a GIF animation from AccuWeather(.com) meteorologist and staff writer Brian Lada; March 16, 2018.
https://www.accuweather.com...his-weekend/70004417

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-15-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2018 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

#OptiBoard

#timeforRonaldtogo

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-15-2018).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that calls for another round.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Zodiacal light, just before sunrise, September 13, near Two Harbors, MN. Photo credit: Bob King.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I a candidate for direct observation of the Zodiacal light?

Yes, if you can check all three of these boxes:
  1. Observe night sky about two hours before local sunrise, from September 17 through September 23.
  2. Relatively unobscured view of the eastern half of the sky, from directly overhead to the eastern horizon. As much as possible.
  3. Clear sky (favorable weather) and minimal light pollution (city lighting) when looking towards the east.

Let "Astro Bob" (Bob King) help you turn this dream into a reality.

"Zapped by Zodiacal Light"
http://astrobob.areavoices....d-by-zodiacal-light/

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-16-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks rinse, good post.

Always liked astronomy, interesting information.

👍👍
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

#OptiBoard

#timeforRonaldtogo

This is a forum member that has posted hundreds and hundreds of messages like this, for which there is no purpose, other than an effort on his part to induce me to depart. To harness the force of insult, like a battering ram, for the purpose of trying to make this forum so malodorous and disgusting, that I would give up on continuing as an active participant.

Does he think that he has ever moved the chains (so to speak) any closer towards the completion of this unworthy and Posting Rules-contemptuous project, than when he first got started in this vein? Really?

There's the adage that is commonly attributed to Albert Einstein, that insanity is doing the same thing again while expecting a different outcome.

Think back to May 17, 2017. That was when Robert Mueller was named as the DOJ Special Counsel, to continue the investigation that started under the former FBI director, James Comey. The investigation that the President regularly refers to as the "Russia Witch Hunt."

At first, it was a "shiny new object" for me. For months on end, I put up a lot of messages here about it. That's how I remember it. But as 2017 gave way to 2018, have I not "downsized" in this regard? Have I not slowed down my "production line" of Trump-antagonistic messages? I think I have. By a considerable measure. I still take some "shots" at the President, but it's not like the "Fire and Fury" that I unleashed here in the immediate aftermath of Robert Mueller's appointment as the Special Counsel.

Why does he not consolidate his gains? Why does he not accept this small comfort that the Cosmos has provided for him? Trump is good. Trump is not good. Sea levels are holding steady. Sea levels are rising. Too many Muslims are out of control because they follow the tenets of Islam. Too many Muslims are out of control because they do not understand the tenets of Islam. Yada, yada, yada. All the same. All of these dialectics, perfectly interchangeable in the context of this message.

This is Cliff Pennock's online real estate. Cliff Pennock's gift to all of us. Screen name "randye" should take it upon himself to start adhering to the basic, "no-brainer" level of civility that is appropriate for sharing this Internet space, because screen name "randye" cannot own this space. It does not (rightly) belong to him.

Why would screen name "randye" find it so necessary to play the skunk (so to speak) and make this "stink" about a topic of Backyard Astronomy or Star Gazing? It's a topic that has long been established as something of a tradition on this forum. Anyone could invoke the forum Search function, using the keyword "meteor" with Totally O/T and Subject/Username, and see it for themselves.

Ipso Facto and Stare Decisis.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-17-2018).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-16-2018 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ronald, you have started numerous threads calling for Randye specifically. You are not a victim here. You are the one pizzing on threads not political.

Your hate of so many of us here has always been obvious. Our way of life is upsetting to you.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just completed some "finishing work" on my previous message here. Rough edges have been sanded. Paint overspray, removed. Polishing clay to achieve a higher gloss.

I am not going to try to see the Zodiacal light because--and this goes back to the "rinselberg" message that is two before this one--I cannot easily check all three of the boxes. I would have a considerable road trip to get to a place that is dark enough for me to have a decent chance to see it. A place that is far enough from the interference of city lights. This isn't a good time for me to contemplate that kind of road trip.

It's here for any forum members that are curious about what can be seen in the night sky, and may live in less densely populated areas, or may find some other purpose in it that would make it worthwhile for them.

Here's a YouTube video presentation of it. I had sorted through the ones that were available and liked this one the best.

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

Anyone could invoke the forum Search function,

Yes, anyone, including YOU, can use the search function and see that you already had a thread on this very same topic, but in your usual psychotic spam-tastic, desperate for attention, fashion you had to start yet ANOTHER one.

You have pulled this same bullcrap trick with many of your other vapid threads, including referring back and linking to your own months or years prior garbage just like you did on OptiBoard with your "Radio Free Rinsel" douchebaggery.

You are clearly intent on doing to PFF the same thing you did to OptiBoard and clogging the O/T section with All Ronald, All the time.

Ronald you are seriously and deeply mentally ill. Get Help.

#OptiBoard

#TimeforRonaldtogo

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-17-2018).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great point.

The rule of thumb here (I think this is very likely accurate) is the Milky Way.

If anyone has a location where they could go outside on a clear night (hardly any clouds) and be able to discern the Milky Way, then I think that is likely a location where there would be a decent chance of being able to discern the Zodiacal light.

Just a month ago, I went with a few of the other "Fiero folks" to Martial Cottle Park, which is part of the Santa Clara County Park System. It's on the outskirts of San Jose.

There was an outdoor screening of a movie and after that--from 10pm to midnight--people remain encamped (so to speak) and talking and keeping an eye out for glimpses of the annual Perseid meteor shower. It was one of the August calendar dates that lends itself to being able to observe these "Perseid" meteors.

I did see two particularly bright meteors streak across the sky, but not the Milky Way. Or at least, not very distinctly. Too much ambient light from relatively nearby commercial buildings and suburban roads and highways. I doubt that this would be a good location to try to discern the Zodiacal light.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2018 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All hail Emperor Norton. 😏
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your best post ever!

Keep up the good work!
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did see two particularly bright meteors streak across the sky, but not the Milky Way. Or at least, not very distinctly. Too much ambient light from relatively nearby commercial buildings and suburban roads and highways. I doubt that this would be a good location to try to discern the Zodiacal light.

About 24 years ago, I spent a few nights at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I saw the Milky Way like I hadn't seen it since I was a small child growing up in the Florida panhandle in the 1950's.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19460 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Your best post ever!

Keep up the good work!

He certainly got his point across.
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

He certainly got his point across.

I see what you did there!

[This message has been edited by texasfiero (edited 09-18-2018).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sorry, you gave me an opening and I just couldn't resist ....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock