Started on: 08-21-2018 06:34 PM
Replies: 66 (942 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 12-08-2018 10:21 PM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a couple of videos that I came across in the last few days. The first song is over 100 years old and the second is nearly 90.

What have you got?

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What have I got? Probably stuff no one else here would be interested in. About 2 years ago I decided to check out some Kpop. Their more hip-hop groups and their rap artists are rather impressive. Currently Black Pink did their return debut album. This song from it is pretty good.

You can turn on closed captions if you decide to listen. I don't know if my having them on will transfer in the link.

Other than that I've been listening to a Canadian rapper named Merkules. He's really lyrical and has some songs that are gritty real life struggles he faces. I love when rappers rap about real life issues and struggles instead of the usual fare. He has a remix which is really worth the listen.

Probably NSFW/C.

You can find rappers in Kpop that rap about real life struggles as well. There is one named Agust D, which is the city he grew up in and his BTS member name written backwards. DT for Deagoo Town and then Suga his BTS member name. D tsugA Agust D. The guy is massively talented doing a lot of the song writing and helping production of their songs. He announced he was going to do a mix tape under the name Agust D and that he would release it once he perfected it. It took about a year longer than anticipated but was well worth the wait. And what did he do as a "Thank you" for all his fans? He released it as a free of charge download. You can still download it without and fee over a year later. Seriously my favorite Korean rapper.

It's a lyric video so you don't need to turn on captioning. You can hear the pain in his voice. Alas, for the inclusion of a few English curse words I must mark this one NSFW/C as well. Still and awesome powerful song.

A little darker rapping about his legal battle with the label the boy band B.A.P is under of which he is the leader. He doesn't really have all those tattoo's but does really have one on his chest that reads "Long Live The Revolution" in Spanish. He has included English, Japanese and Spanish in some of his songs. Of course this is a R rated video so NSFW/C, do mostly to some visuals that wouldn't raise much of a big deal here. You could see worse watching a episode of CSI.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 08-21-2018).]

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A steam of nondescript, contemporary-style jazz from the Comcast cable TV "Jazz" channel. Jazz trios, quartets and other small groups and soloists. Instrumentals, for the most part. Although vocalists do emerge from time to time.

An upgrade over elevator music. I don't have an elevator. Just a staircase.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

What have I got? Probably stuff no one else here would be interested in.

That's the point: to expose us to stuff that we probably wouldn't otherwise listen to. Thanks for the videos and the commentary.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19432 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by rinselberg:

A steam of nondescript, contemporary-style jazz from the Comcast cable TV "Jazz" channel. Jazz trios, quartets and other small groups and soloists. Instrumentals, for the most part. Although vocalists do emerge from time to time.

An upgrade over elevator music. I don't have an elevator. Just a staircase.

Post an interesting example and tell us something about it. Tell us why you like it.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2018 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got live entertainment.....neighbors beside me are fighting and the ones above me screwing.

TV is turned up pretty loud.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I've got live entertainment.....neighbors beside me are fighting and the ones above me screwing.

TV is turned up pretty loud.

That is the perfect inspiration for banjo music! Write a song and play it for us.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
Post an interesting example and tell us something about it. Tell us why you like it.

"Thoughtful." A rich tapestry of changing rhythms and varied instrumental sounds, all blending seamlessly with that alluring voice.

This isn't one of the nondescript jazz selections that I was talking about. This is more arresting (to me).It did come up on the Comcast "Jazz" channel, but not as I was listening earlier today.

Did I "pass"..?

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 08-21-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mindi Abair is a Contemporary Jazz sax player, but I think I would call this Blues: (either way, it is hot)

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing better than a night of great sax.

Thanks. A sharp but pleasing contrast with what I posted. And my laundry dryer machine cycle is almost complete.

It's all good. Is IAG (It's All Good) a commonly known texting abbreviation? I wonder.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mindi Abair is a Contemporary Jazz sax player, but I think I would call this Blues: (either way, it is hot)

Click to show

I agree, more bluesy sounding to me as well. Still, pretty good for a girl. I'm going to have to see if I can find some of my Jazz CD's from the early 90's. I haven't listened to them in forever.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two of my favorite musicians: Bela Fleck and Jorma Kaukonen

and another track from the same album, with Sam Bush and Jerry Douglas

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 08-22-2018).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good lyrics in these two, talent all around. I also of course love the guitar solo. This band does a lot of stuff I like.
The studio versions are great, I like to post live versions most of the time.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-22-2018).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-22-2018 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jackson 5

I began by goofing with the Wife and Kid last week. It was dead quiet in here, and everyone was in their own little virtual world. I threw on a little Can't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, began singing and dancing the fool, and the rest is history.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-22-2018 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking back...
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing but classic rock gets any play by me on the job site
Got an oldies custom mix cd in the truck
shem
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2018 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Joseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2018 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JosephSend a Private Message to JosephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Typically I wouldn't listen to this style of music, but this artist really caught my attention a few years ago. An underappreciated talent:

tonycampbell86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2018 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tonycampbell86gtClick Here to visit tonycampbell86gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to tonycampbell86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great band to see live if you get a chance!

Tony

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2018 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph:

Typically I wouldn't listen to this style of music, but this artist really caught my attention a few years ago. An underappreciated talent:

Thank you for posting that. I like it. It reminds me of a period in my life and the music that held me captive and clinging to a thousand bottles of beer, in a hundred little, dark, out of the way dives. That music always grabs hold of me in an unrelenting clutch.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2018 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19432 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Rhiannon Giddens is an extremely talented and versatile young lady who is doing a great job of keeping alive the spirit of traditional American music. Her repertoire reaches back to the 19th century.

PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2018 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This song didn't do well when released in 1969 but in 1973 it was re-released by Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris and did much better.
(I like the original which was first recorded in 1968, 50 years ago).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyLTsdu-Uvk

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 09-14-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2018 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

This song didn't do well when released in 1969 but in 1973 it was re-released by Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris and did much better.
(I like the original which was first recorded in 1968, 50 years ago).

Thanks for posting that. I was listening to the Gram/Emmylou version earlier yesterday.
I get lost so easily in that "cryin' in yer beer music". I woke up in the middle of the night and had to take out my steel guitar and play a little.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 08-24-2018).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2018 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The steel guitar reminds me of another by the same couple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g27MbUL-tQw

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 09-14-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2018 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think there's anything that can beat the sound of a fiddle and steel guitar.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
However weird the dude is, he rocks. This one pays off the whole way through.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buckethead is great!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Buckethead is great!

That's my fave song of his, and the best version I've ever heard too.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mean Mary - outstanding, sometimes haunting Folk/Country/Americana

I usually don't care what a song is about, to me it's all about the music, but this next one is thought provoking.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 08-30-2018).]

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2018 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have this habit(?) of constantly trying to learn. I know I am not particularly smart so, the best I can do is to try to stuff more information in there. The host does a lot of social commentary, research based.

https://www.youtube.com/wat...v=K-fFVL_V-lI&t=629s
PFF
System Bot
mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2018 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Two of my favorite musicians: Bela Fleck and Jorma Kaukonen

and another track from the same album, with Sam Bush and Jerry Douglas

have loved Jorma...since the days of both Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna...

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These two videos are different takes on the first song I posted at the top of this thread.

The Hot Sardines are my favorite contemporary jazz band:

The two young ladies in this next video are both in the second video I posted at the top:

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19432 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Red Skunk

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2018 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2018 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My favorite version of one of my favorite Warren Zevon tracks.
(No video. Just the tune.)

An alternate - and arguably better - version.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-10-2018).]

turbotoad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbotoadSend a Private Message to turbotoadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2018 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbotoad:

Cool sound. Many times a rockin band uses an orchestra on a loud song and it just feels like the orchrestra wasn't beneficial. This one works.

Reminds me a little of Dream Theater, though different singer sound.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2018 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
Seems like I could listen to these guys anytime.
The mics aren't even picking up the other singers and it still sounds great.

Cant hardly hear any singers, and messy. Still great. To me.
Maybe its cause I know the original version and can fill in anything I cant hear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2018 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

I have this habit(?) of constantly trying to learn. I know I am not particularly smart so, the best I can do is to try to stuff more information in there. The host does a lot of social commentary, research based.

https://www.youtube.com/wat...v=K-fFVL_V-lI&t=629s

He has many videos that everyone should see.

Learning is good. Listening is good. Life isn't all music

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock