Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  What do you do to fight grub damage to your lawn?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What do you do to fight grub damage to your lawn? by 2.5
Started on: 07-17-2018 03:12 PM
Replies: 13 (209 views)
Last post by: spark1 on 07-18-2018 10:16 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What has worked for you? They are damaging my yard. The only bug we see an unusual amount of the last few years is the Japanese beetle, which is when the grub issue started. We spot kill the beetles, and have a bucket of water out that some get caught in and die as well.
Ive tried a few seasonal store bought granule grub killers in a lawn spreader. I even tried an expensive white powder I cant remember the name of, some kind of spore, but after using it I read that if used in a place that freezes hard in the winter , it wont last.
Looking for tips.

Japanese beetle:

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-17-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My lawn also has very little good topsoil and thus requires more water, which aggravates the situation.
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Throw some bird seed on the lawn to train the birds to eat there. Theyll find the bugs. If those beetles nest in the soil, aerate and throw more of the powder down the holes.

shem
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We used “Milky Spore” and it got rid of them.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12441 posts
Member since Jan 2012
What I reccommend : use the pheromone traps to catch the adults (they are *REALLY* effective, they get lured in and completely fill up the bag. Milky spore takes awhile to work, you may want to try a few different things, but make sure the other stuff doesn’t affect the milky spore!
I think nemeotodes and rose powder (if you have rose bushes) work.

Kill adults, make their food unappetizing , kill the grubs.

Pew pew pew

Good luck
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Build a wall. Make the grubs pay for it.
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Armadillos.......
Run a herd of armadillos in there. They'll clear them grubs out!
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pyrethrin.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texasfiero:

Armadillos.......
Run a herd of armadillos in there. They'll clear them grubs out!

Lol, then he'll complain about the rooting. I prefer to mow with minimal treatment and watering. If it can't survive, I didn't want it. I actually have a pretty good lawn going, lots of shade in my north texas 3/4 acre. Typically unwatered lawns in this area stop growing around this time of year, mine needs a cut right now!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:
Pyrethrin.
Sadly that answer is often bad in the long run... Any general pesticides spayed on a big area, organic or otherwise, May work or not to kill "grubs" but kills many bugs you want/need too.

Birds may not eat them either depending on bug at hand. Even when some birds eat bugs, Local birds may hate it. More so when you have invasive bugs from ______ country/region.

Maybe Dig a few up and take them live to Co-op Extension in the area.
or try https://ask.extension.org/
If can't find it in FAQ then Ask a Q at top.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

We used “Milky Spore” and it got rid of them.

That's the one I used, but I read if it freezes hard like it does here, (and in NY?) it wont last. Seems like it didn't.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Lol, then he'll complain about the rooting. I prefer to mow with minimal treatment and watering. If it can't survive, I didn't want it. I actually have a pretty good lawn going, lots of shade in my north texas 3/4 acre. Typically unwatered lawns in this area stop growing around this time of year, mine needs a cut right now!

In Texas you probably use a different type of grass than we do.
I've been thinking about spreading seed of a more drought tolerant breed, it would have to be ok with all the other weather changes we get though.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
Treating the grubs is my main issue. We really only have two bushes the bugs seem to like eating, and controlling that part isn't too bad. But we have neighbors and of course cant control how well they take care of things.

I guess just application of this in April and August? I tried it one year, Maybe I have to just keep on doing it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BA...Grub-Control/3019485

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pyrethrin is found naturally in the chrysanthemum flower. It can be used in organic gardening but can be toxic to bees and fish.

Imidacloprid used in Bayer Advanced is made to mimic nicotine and lasts much longer. It is hazardous to fish, bees and birds.

Like the bartender in old westerners said; choose your poison.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 07-18-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock