Started on: 07-14-2018 07:42 PM
Replies: 10 (235 views)
Last post by: Wichita on 07-16-2018 02:11 PM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-07-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Have you ever attended such? Have you been through the US citizenship process?

The point being?

In a sense, yes. While I may not have attended the classes and ceremony an immigrant has to, I have attended 13 years of public education where I was taught all about America. I was taught about how it was founded, how the government works, the governing documents, it's history and expansion to the borders we see today along with all of it's historical happening since before the settlers landed. I have gone through all the various ceremonies associated with the 13 years of education I received. So the classes and ceremony a immigrant goes through no. The education a natural born citizen goes through which is much more extensive, yes.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, haven't been there or done that but, I hold a lot of admiration and respect for those who do go through the process.

I know of several who are avoiding the process which makes them illegal aliens. They need to be deported and their employers prosecuted but, apparently ICE is overwhelmed now, has been so for quite a while and many on the Dem side want the agency abolished. That pisses me off.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-15-2018).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2018 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have every respect due to those that choose to come here legally.

Thanks for the story there tshark. I was hoping for a story.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have. I have not.

My sister was born in Seoul, S. Korea in '71 or '73 (I never remember). She was adopted when she was just a few months old. When she was old enough to take the classes/processes, she did so (although I don't think it was very involved as she was still a kid when she was naturalized). I'm only 4 (or 6) years older than she is so I don't remember any of the processes she went through. What I DO remember is the citizenship/naturalization ceremony as hers was held in Monticello, VA in 1976 and I met then President Gerald Ford. I also remember getting a tour inside Tommy J.s house which was where the ceremony was held.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No point. Just a question. I'm glad you got the 13 years of education on our country. That is no longer common. I do wonder how you could have such a firm opinion on what an immigrant goes through, without having any first-hand experience of the process.

Ah see, because that was one of the things taught in my US Government class. We also saw a video of the ceremony when they take the oath to become a US citizen. Aside from that I have had friends over the years that immigrated to the US the legal way and went through the classes. They've talked about it with me. One was from India and in my 12th grade year from me. Real nice guy named Natean Patel. It's not all that hard to find out. Heck there is probably even a Youtube video I'd imagine that would give you list out how many hours, what's on the test and what kind of score is needed to pass it. It's personally been many years since my 12th grade year when I had US Government so the exact length of the classes, how many questions and what you need to score on the test to pass is not figures and numbers I retained but I could find out for you if you'd like to know?

Maybe I just had teachers that actually covered the course material or being the good student that I was, I actually paid attention in my classes so I could learn what supposedly needed to obtain the high school diploma I got? Maybe I should have just flubbed my way through school partying and having fun instead of thinking I actually had to learn the stuff they were teaching.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-15-2018).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One of my friends at my previous company has. He started off as an H1B... loves this country.

Also... coming back from Home Depot, there's an INS / Immigration office right there... big one. I have to drive by it every time I pick something up from Home Depot. As I was driving by it, a bunch of people were coming out... kids, parents, etc. All waving little American flags. They were all so incredibly happy, and people were taking pictures in front of the building with the flag. It really made me feel proud, and have to admit I got a little emotional there seeing it. Honked my horn and gave the thumbs up to people as I passed them. Some of them were tearing up, but all were super happy.

… except one family. Mom (I assume) was wearing the hijab, dad was walking ahead, two kids were holding little American flags and the mom took them and put them in her purse. None of them seemed excited, they all seemed less excited than as if they had just gotten a credit card bill. But... I figured, typical. That didn't damper my feeling toward the rest of them who were all clearly proud of having just become citizens (which I assume was happening because they were all coming out of an INS office with American flags and they were all happy...)

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been to several. It is a great ceremony and honor for most all those who are gaining their citizenship. It would be nice that we actually all had to go through it, just like them.

As others mention, you can see the people are from all walks of life, young and old, and all over the world. It makes you proud of a wonderful country as the United States and I can tell that most all treasure this as something very special in their lives.

But then I was reading the news on the Internet on July 4th. Just current event stuff, and there was this article (leftist news source) talking about how there was a massive citizenship ceremony in Washington, DC.

At first, I thought "Cool". Then as I read the article, it was a Trump bashing article, and they were showing pictures of the citizenship ceremony, but only focused on pictures of Arab women in hijab, and of course a Hispanic toddlers had to be posted as well. Everything now is a politicized opportunity to bash the President.

Things like that make my eyes roll.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock