Started on: 07-07-2018 09:53 PM
Replies: 30 (541 views)
Last post by: Sage on 07-14-2018 08:20 AM
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Opened up the forum this evening and noticed something looked "different"...but didn't catch at first what it was.

Then I realized what it was.

The space on the left of the screen where the narrow bar usually is that has the little arrow heads so you can open your "favorites" is gone....just not there.

Not sure if it's something with the forum, something with my computer, or something that I did unintentionally....but they are "gone".

I tried logging off and back on...resetting my "prefs" (which I have had to do for over a year, every visit anyway, or I don't see the icons signifying new posts.)
Nothing has made a difference so far.

Anybody else have this issue?

Any ideas?

HAGO!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My screen has everything shifted to the right and yes, the favorites are gone. Must be an error with the server.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not being the most computer literate person on this forum but, it appears to me that this forum now has more advertising income.
I, obviously could be wrong.......

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-08-2018).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should be at the bottom not on the side. Ciff, you change anything ?

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 07-08-2018).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The little bar on the left side that has your favorites and recent posts is still there. What's new is that I added an ad banner on the main forum page and the thread list page. As much as I dislike that, it's an absolute necessity.

The cost of bandwidth, rackspace and the server is just barely covered by ad income and donations. Donations are anywhere between $50 and $200 each month, and (Google) ad income doubles that - in a good month. For 19 years, It has helped to keep PFF free for anyone to use. It has helped keeping thousands of Fieros on the road. It has helped bringing thousands of Fiero owners together. It has even helped quite a lot of people to be able to make a living selling Fiero stuff. But it hasn't helped me putting food in my kids' mouths...

For a long time, that didn't matter since my business (software and website development) was doing pretty good. But that has changed over the past five years. Due to the financial crisis (and its aftermath) eventually all of my clients either went bankrupt, or decided to no longer outsource their programming and development work. On top of that, Google keeps changing their commission causing less and less income every year. Long story short, I've been in survival mode for the past few years. It has been a struggle trying to make ends meet and to be totally honest, if it weren't for the support of my friends and family, I wouldn't even be able to feed my kids. I've been working for peanuts just to have some sort of income. It sucks having to say "no" every time your kids ask to go somewhere or ask for an ice cream, or a new toy or whatever. It sucks not being able to go for a drink with my girlfriend or friends in general for that matter. It sucks not being able to drive my Fiero because I can't afford the gas.

All the while I own the biggest Fiero related site in the world that still attracts thousands of people every day. Next to eBay and Craigslist, it's the largest marketplace for Fiero related stuff. It's where vendors go to pitch their new products. It's where clubs go to generate awareness for their events. It's where just about everyone goes when they have a (technical) question about their Fiero. And yet, I'm not making any money of it. I think PFF is unique in that way. Take any other car related forum and you'll see it's plastered with ads. And why not? It keeps it a free service and it doesn't ask anything from its visitors. People complain about ads all the time, but why? It doesn't force you to click on it. It doesn't even force you to look at it. It requires nothing from the visitor. It's just there. And if the ad shows something that's of interest to you, and you click it, it immediately takes you to where you need to be to buy it. And by doing so, you've helped the website that displayed the ad. How convenient is that?

So yeah, I've added ads in two more places. It probably won't increase ad income much (I am hoping $10-$20 per month) but I have to try. It's either that or shut down PFF. Or think of something else to generate some kind of income from PFF.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May I suggest that you place a small fee in the classified section...

Yeah, I know craigslist and other options are available and free but, if I need a Fiero part, I come here first.

Rams
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If we all click on the ads, does your revenue increase?

Thanks for the Forum, Cliff! You should be making money from it!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2018 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My ads do not show up. I see a blank space.

A heads up would have staved off questions. I logged in yesterday, saw an "issue", and logged off. I now understand why my screen looks odd.

You should create revenue.

Good luck with life.
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

My ads do not show up. I see a blank space.

This is what I have also. No ads, no favorites bar. Just empty space.

Thanks everybody for your responses. Sort of relieved to know it's not just my unit or something I did.

I hear ya Cliff....times are tough and getting tougher. I don't use the forum to push my product, although I have to say, I've sold many items because the forum exists. I've also tried to contribute on occasion, but I have to tell ya, some of us are in the same boat, but for different reasons. Most of the items I've sold in the recent past have been more through FB and basically word of mouth, but I'm sure the forum was a vehicle for that word to spread, at least to a degree. All I can tell ya, is it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

I wouldn't mind a fee to join, but if my own experience is any reflection of the overall picture, even if you charged $50/yr. to be a member, I don't see you pulling in any more than $5,000/yr, and that would be doubtful. Everybody here knows the reputation Fiero owners have for being "frugal" or cheap, as some would say, but I personally think it's more a sign of the times in general. The rich get richer and ...well...you know.

It seems as though if one is not willing to screw over anybody they need to, one cannot expect to "get ahead". Most see life in general as a "competition"...and I guess it is to a degree...and like the banner says....It's not a spectator sport. So before I get going on philosophy and/or philanthropy...I better put a lid on it, and just say thank you once more to everybody for verifying it's not just my machine....or me.

I'll try to contribute more in the future than I've been able to in the past, but I have to tell ya, the electric co., the gas company, the phone co., the cable co., the water dept., the politicians that seek to raise taxes to pad their own pockets, the grocery store, etc.,etc.,etc.,.......they don't care! My phone bill has gone up by $10 every month for the last three months, with no explanation other than it went "up". The last one says if I want a $10 "discount" all I have to do is give them direct access to my checking account, so they can take whatever they want, whenever they want it, and not even have to tell me they took it...and they'll knock off the last $10 hike! I suppose it's inevitable anyway, but I'm a "holdout" to giving up complete control of what little cash I do have!

Ok, so there's my mini-rant. Guess I won't access my favorites anymore.

HAGO!

mousemeat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

May I suggest that you place a small fee in the classified section...

Yeah, I know craigslist and other options are available and free but, if I need a Fiero part, I come here first.

Rams

exactly...i come looking here first.........

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Ok, so there's my mini-rant. Guess I won't access my favorites anymore.

If you don't see your My PFF bar anymore, then that's a bug that needs to be solved. What browser are you using?
PFF
System Bot
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

If you don't see your My PFF bar anymore, then that's a bug that needs to be solved. What browser are you using?

Google Chrome. But it just occurred to me, if there's supposed to be an ad showing there, and the Bar is supposed to be contained in/on that ad, then it might not be showing up because of the ad blocker I have running (EcoSmartFilter) it shows that it is blocking 3 ads on this page.

Don't know if that's the case or not, like I said, just a possibility that popped into my pea brain, as I am NOT a "puter wiz" by any stretch of the imagination, which is why I wondered if it might have been something I did that caused them to "disappear" in the first place. Or I guess it could be something with Chrome too, again, I don't get into that stuff any more than necessary.

Thanks for asking though, and if it should happen to be a "glitch" that can be remedied, I for one would appreciate being able to access the favorites again.

HAGO!

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have to donate using PayPal or crypto? Can I donate using card like a transaction at a store?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On top of that, Google keeps changing their commission causing less and less income every year.
Is why many YT people now use Patreon, sell items, etc, because can't cover cost by google ad $ and keep running a channel.
Many YT put one or more 1-3 minutes of ads in the videos like linustechtips on top of whatever.

New ads don't matter but favorites won't work for me FFx64. works now.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-08-2018).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Google Chrome.

Odd. I tested it in Chrome and the sidebar is there.

But it just occurred to me, if there's supposed to be an ad showing there, and the Bar is supposed to be contained in/on that ad, then it might not be showing up because of the ad blocker I have running (EcoSmartFilter) it shows that it is blocking 3 ads on this page.

No, the sidebar is completely seperate so it shouldn't be blocked by your adblocker. It *is* strange however it's blocking 3 ads, since there's only one present.

Which version of Chrome are you using?
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to "About Chrome" this machine has version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64Bit) and says "Chrome is up to date"

Right now, while I type this, the blocker says 3 ads. When I opening the page for this thread, it said 2.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may be blocking script rather than ads. I run Opera and my script blocker is blocking 4 items on the page:

2 from staticxx.facebook.com
1 from pagead2.googlesyndication.com
1 from cdn.viglink.com

The cdn one is funny because I only see that on this website. I believe the cdn one is a browser hijacker.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-09-2018).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

The cdn one is funny because I only see that on this website. I believe the cdn one is a browser hijacker.

What it does is add an affiliate code to outgoing links to (for instance) ebay, so ebay knows where the visitor is coming from. It's not a hijacker, just something that generates a few $$$ for PFF.
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, the sidebar is completely seperate so it shouldn't be blocked by your adblocker.

Well, ok....it's just "gone" then....unless I'm not seeing something...which is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities....

But if the blocker is not "blocking" it....something else is...or has eliminated it all together, or is preventing it from displaying.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, ok....it's just "gone" then....unless I'm not seeing something...which is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities....

Could you make a screenshot of the topic list? (the page before this one)
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On mine, the sidebar does not appear in the OT section. All others are ok.
PFF
System Bot
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's nothing at the bottom either. This is what I see.

Edit to add.....After posting the above image, I can see a "faint" line at the left that could be the outline of where the bar might supposed to be....BUT...it is NOT THERE on my screen. So there we are.

[This message has been edited by Sage (edited 07-10-2018).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tried logging off and back on...resetting my "prefs" (which I have had to do for over a year, every visit anyway, or I don't see the icons signifying new posts.)
Nothing has made a difference so far.

Anybody else have this issue?

Any ideas?

I get the adds fine, but the "fire" icon is always on every single topic.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's now back on the OT page....at least on mine.
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originally Posted By steve308:

"It's now back on the OT page....at least on mine."

Still got nothin' here. On ANY page.

Another little "glitch" I haven't figured out yet either....even though I've resubmitted my preferences numerous times, with the new password, when I post, I still have to take out the one that shows up by default with the user name, and type in the new one...every time....just like having to submit my preferences every time I visit the forum, or the "new posts since your last visit" icons don't show up..everything is displayed as an old post..even those that ARE new.

This is the only forum I have these problems with. Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining...just pointing out some other "glitches" that would be great to have resolved, as long as we're bringing the newest one to the front. Oh, BTW, I have tried deleting all cookies and logging out and back in..nothing seems to make a difference in regard to these little problems. But if they are only a problem for me...I'd have to assume it's something with my machine, or my ISP, or my lack of computer savvy. Just be nice to have it the way it used to be, as all of these problems have developed over the last couple years...and I've been here a while.

HAGO!
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

If we all click on the ads, does your revenue increase?

Thanks for the Forum, Cliff! You should be making money from it!

I'm on an S10 forum and it's nothing but ads, takes forever to load because of them and the video ads.

Do you get more if we load the ads? I'll click away, my work recently unlocked the internet!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far the ad bar wants me to install Microsoft products, shop at Kroger, and buy an Alfa Romeo. I think it's trying to kill me...
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

So far the ad bar wants me to install Microsoft products, shop at Kroger, and buy an Alfa Romeo. I think it's trying to kill me...

Mostly, it wants to sell me bacon or a Dodge pickup, but every now and then it offers me a dress or some women's shoes?!?
Maybe I shouldn't have participated in the "Transgender" thread.....
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2018 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Mostly, it wants to sell me bacon or a Dodge pickup, but every now and then it offers me a dress or some women's shoes?!?
Maybe I shouldn't have participated in the "Transgender" thread.....

LOL! Das funeeee!

Well..............favorites are back!......OR.....I finally "found" them. Very thin strip at the extreme left edge of my display with the tiny little arrows here & there....saw it...said "Wow!"....clicked on it and voila! All the stuff that used to showed up! I still don't know if they've been there all along...and I hadn't discovered them....or if they've shown back up. I'm inclined to guess the former....but would rather it turn out to be the latter...but either way...glad they are available to me again!

Now if I could get the password to operate like it's supposed to...and the "new posts" icons to work without having to re-set preferences every visit...I'd be all set. But I tend to be thankful for small favors....glad I can access the favorites again.

HAGO!

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could manually delete all cookies set by fiero.nl in your browser. I'm guessing some cookies have become corrupted.
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You could manually delete all cookies set by fiero.nl in your browser. I'm guessing some cookies have become corrupted.

Thanks Cliff....I've tried that on numerous occasions...doesn't seem to make a difference...but I'll try it again...or some more..

HAGO!

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock