Anvils: This is One Heavy Topic by RotrexFiero
Started on: 07-03-2018 09:53 PM
Replies: 26 (393 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 07-12-2018 11:06 AM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have been burning, twisting, and hammering on metal for a while and I thought I would upgrade my tools with the ultimate.

I want to get an ANVIL.

Well, of course HF sells one but the reviews are horrible. Crude, and the most of all, the face surface is too soft.

So I went looking for one for sale.

Never knew anvils were so coveted. Many were sacrificed during WWII. The ones that are still around, people hold on too.

Yes, they are making them but they are expensive. Some are antiques. Others handed down in families.

Most expensive sold on EBAY for $14K.

Anyone, have an anvil?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just on the back of an big old vise a customer gave me that was her husbands, dont have space for a big one. Hunt garage sales or cl for an old one. Or weld on a big thick plate of hardened steel on a shitty vise, should hold up for a bit. Ask a blacksmith

shem
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you have a topic like this you really need to hammer on it.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Farm auctions.

Rams
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of course you want to be reasonably sure the track you source the material from is no longer in use. Unless it's used by a train that goes through a residential area blowing the horn as much as possible at 3:00 AM, **** that guy and his load.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I simply use a three foot piece of rail track, no pointy end. Works for me.

Rams
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some heavy metal.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 07-04-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2018 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love that Ol' time Verdi

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 07-04-2018).]

Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2018 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always told my son that a REAL man is judged by how many anvils he owns! The ultimate symbol of testosterone and overall manliness!! Hammer !! Fire !!!
(My son asks when the guys from the institution are coming to take me back)
I have 2. Used to use them for work. Very old, veeeery heavy!

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2018 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aside from a small vise based anvil, I also use a section of railroad track that I acquired years ago. It is "unimproved" but works well when I want to beat on something.

Nelson
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2018 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking into this myself. I was spoiled at Rettig Machine with all the power fabrication tools and the several LARGE anvils they had there. Now I just need something for a little tractor work. I'm in the process of making a mini-forge out of 5 gallon air tank. I need to pick up some more perlite to mix with my aluminum oxide and liquid glass to finish the lining.

Anyways, I've done some looking and this is what I ended up doing. I went to a local machine shop and asked if they had any pieces of thick scrap plate I could buy. Ended up buying a piece of 4" plate that was a drop from some flame cutting. It was about 18" long and 7ish" wide. Welded some 1/2" AR plate I had from a old tractor bucket blade to the top and a couple of cross pieces on the bottom so I could bolt it down. It doesn't have a horn exactly, but for what I need it for I don't really need one. From what I read, hardness is only one factor but you can do hardface welding on something if it's to soft. What's most important is mass weight behind your striking surface. Just an idea if you have a machine shop in your area. They usually have a yard with steel drops from work they've done and will often sell those leftover pieces. I'd imagine you could even get a piece of hard plate to weld on from them as well. I know my old shop in Cali had a bunch of slugs/drops and scrap pieces of AR plate from all the grain silos, tractor buckets and water turbines they made there.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2018 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is still about a foot long piece of railroad track at my Dads place, his dad used the same piece. They last forever.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, who would think collecting anvils would be a hobby.

Watched a video of a guy making a horseshoe, old school, and was thinking blacksmiths back in the day must of been as tough as their anvils. That real work.

With a 25% off coupon I grabbed a Harbor Freight anvil. Cast iron, not steel, but for around $50 it is something to beat on.

It has no ring to it, only a dead thud, but I hear you can weld a steel plate to it and then it's not bad.

I won't be shoeing any horses, but probably start by making some small tools for my wood burner.

So strange how all the old, so called necessary life skills of yesteryear are becoming hobbies/past times. Raising chickens is becoming popular here, along with blacksmithing.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

There is still about a foot long piece of railroad track at my Dads place, his dad used the same piece. They last forever.

Wondering if you'd stick a stamp on it and mail it to me for a small project. Be happy to return it when I'm done.

Rams

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-07-2018 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So that means is can hit stuff really hard with a heavy hammer 🐮
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also shoot them up in the air.

Look at Anvil Shooting on You Tube. Got a guy that launches a 100 lb anvil up in the air.

I guess this goes back a long time, called Firing the Anvils.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Yeah, who would think collecting anvils would be a hobby.

Watched a video of a guy making a horseshoe, old school, and was thinking blacksmiths back in the day must of been as tough as their anvils. That real work.

With a 25% off coupon I grabbed a Harbor Freight anvil. Cast iron, not steel, but for around $50 it is something to beat on.

It has no ring to it, only a dead thud, but I hear you can weld a steel plate to it and then it's not bad.

I won't be shoeing any horses, but probably start by making some small tools for my wood burner.

So strange how all the old, so called necessary life skills of yesteryear are becoming hobbies/past times. Raising chickens is becoming popular here, along with blacksmithing.

Yeah, that's why I'm building a small forge. I can do heating with a torch and beating on steel for things I need at work. But for a fun little hobby at home to make things, I want a forge. Do I need the things I want to make or am I ever going to be able to sell them? Not really, but I'd like to have some fun trying to make things I never tried making before.

Maybe it's just a generational thing based on what we were exposed to as kids? Now we want to try those things we saw? Heck, if I can I wouldn't mind trying working glass if the forge will hit those temperatures. Nothing super big of course. I have considered building up a MAP gas working station for glass sculpting but one project at a time.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Wondering if you'd stick a stamp on it and mail it to me for a small project. Be happy to return it when I'm done.

Rams

Well it is one thing that likey wouldn't get damaged in shipping
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wyle E Coyote ordered all his stuff mail order. ACME was way ahead of its time.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Well it is one thing that likey wouldn't get damaged in shipping

I wouldn't count on that!
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2018 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So why were there so many anvils in Looney Tune cartoons?

Where the writers from a past era where anvils were still popular, and they frequently saw them growing up?

Kind of interesting.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

So why were there so many anvils in Looney Tune cartoons?

Where the writers from a past era where anvils were still popular, and they frequently saw them growing up?

Kind of interesting.

Sounds about right , heaviest small item laying around
Next in line was probably a clothes iron. Don't see them much anymore either.
Then cast iron frying pan. Rolling pin.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-12-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock