Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  xfinity Chat Transcript CHAT STARTED AT Jun 19, 2018 6:32:34 PM 6:32:34 PM My Name :

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
xfinity Chat Transcript CHAT STARTED AT Jun 19, 2018 6:32:34 PM 6:32:34 PM My Name : by Jake_Dragon
Started on: 06-19-2018 07:34 PM
Replies: 11 (349 views)
Last post by: DotTC on 07-08-2018 02:55 AM
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
xfinity Chat Transcript
CHAT STARTED AT Jun 19, 2018 6:32:34 PM
6:32:34 PM My Name : my internet is not working, my wifi and router will not turn on. I have tried plugging it in to a different outlet but no go. My TV is working fine but did need a reboot.
6:32:43 PM System : You are now chatting with Bilal
6:32:48 PM Your Guy:
Hi My Name, thank you for contacting Xfinity Chat Support. My name is Bilal. Please give me a moment to review your account information.

6:32:54 PM My Name : I have no lights on the device
6:33:20 PM Your Guy: I apologize for the loss of internet connection. Let me get on top of this and fix it for you.
6:33:42 PM Your Guy: For your account verification can I have your complete name?
6:33:53 PM My Name : My Name
6:34:37 PM Your Guy: Thank you for the information My Name, allow me couple of minutes while I check for the resolution.
6:35:48 PM My Name : ok the cable TV DVR is working fine. We did have a storm go through here. Everything else in the surge protector is fine. I assume its something with the device
6:36:26 PM Your Guy: Appreciate your patience, to understand the issue better I'll be asking you a few questions, is that okay?
6:36:47 PM My Name : ok
6:37:06 PM Your Guy: I understand your issue.
6:37:19 PM Your Guy: Since when are you experiencing this issue?
6:37:59 PM My Name : 20 minutes ago
6:38:25 PM Your Guy: Okay, have you done any troubleshooting steps at your end?
6:38:47 PM My Name : we had some thunder and I noticed my phone was not connected to the WIFI and that the lights were out. I moved the power cord to another known working outlet but it didn't help
6:39:34 PM Your Guy: Appreciate your efforts, let us do some troubleshooting steps to get the resolution.
6:39:56 PM My Name : ok
6:40:43 PM Your Guy: Could you tell me how many devices are connected to the wifi?
6:41:28 PM My Name : I only have the computer and phone. Right now none of them are working, I am using my phone as a hot spot
6:41:40 PM Your Guy: Okay.
6:41:56 PM My Name : There are no lights on the device, no power.
6:42:16 PM Your Guy: Okay. working together will help us take care of your request at the earliest.
6:42:44 PM Your Guy: I want you to do few checks, is that okay?
6:43:10 PM My Name : sure I guess, not much to do if it wont turn on but okay
6:44:01 PM Your Guy: ,

Alright, confirm power cord is plugged in between the device and the wall
6:44:18 PM My Name : it is.
6:44:47 PM My Name : I moved the power cord to another known working outlet but it didn't help
6:45:23 PM Your Guy:

Okay.
6:45:36 PM Your Guy: Confirm device is not plugged into a switched outlet or power strip now.
6:46:29 PM My Name : ok again its plugged directly into the wall outlet
6:47:14 PM Your Guy: Perfect I''ll be sending few signals then let me know the status of the light after couple of minutes.
6:47:36 PM My Name : lol there are NO lights on the device!!!!
6:48:03 PM My Name : its completely dark, no lights no status nothing.
6:48:59 PM Your Guy: okay.

6:49:43 PM Your Guy: I'll advise you to remove the power cord from the wall outlet and wait 15 seconds, then plug it in to a electrical outlet.
6:50:17 PM Your Guy: And let me know whether you get the light after doing that.
6:52:09 PM My Name : I have done this already, several times and once when you asked me to move it to the wall outlet.
6:52:22 PM My Name : no change, no lights on the device
6:53:51 PM Your Guy: Okay no problem.
6:54:37 PM Your Guy: You have been facing this from last 20 minutes.
6:55:21 PM Your Guy: Allow me a minute while I do some diagnostic checks.
6:55:25 PM My Name : close to 45 minutes now I wasn't paying attention.
6:56:08 PM Your Guy: Alright, I'll do few checks stay connected.
6:57:06 PM My Name : I don't know how you are going to trouble shoot a device that wont turn on but knock yourself out.
6:57:38 PM Your Guy: Could you tell me whether you have installed this service at your place or comcast technician has done it for you.
6:59:01 PM My Name : Yes it was a self install
6:59:06 PM Your Guy: That is why I may need your help by doing physical checks, be rest assured I''ll guide you to a path of resolution.
6:59:51 PM Your Guy: Also I would like to know if you could tell me when did you install the service?
7:00:17 PM My Name : I understand I do, so you know I have been working in IT for the last 20 years. This is a power issue. Its been working fine for the last 8 months.
7:01:10 PM Your Guy: I'll schedule a tech visit.
7:01:47 PM Your Guy: There is a fault with the modem as it is showing offline in my system.
7:02:52 PM My Name : ok how long will that take?
7:03:02 PM Your Guy: I appreciate you for being my eyes and doing connection checks, so I'll suggest you if I can schedule a technician visit.
7:03:34 PM Your Guy: If you allow me I'll check for the first available slot.
7:04:31 PM Your Guy: Shall I proceed with the request?
7:05:16 PM My Name : Tell me what the next schedule is and if its not soon I can run it into a center in the morning.
7:05:35 PM Your Guy: Okay.
7:07:29 PM Your Guy: The first available slot is on
06/20/2018, 08:00 AM-10:00 AM EDT

7:08:42 PM My Name : I will not be home during that time. I will bring in into one of the service centers after my appointment in the morning.
7:08:53 PM My Name : Is that ok?
7:09:53 PM Your Guy: yes that will be fine, incase if you want a time slot as per your convenient I and check and schedule it for you.
7:10:05 PM Your Guy: *can
7:10:56 PM My Name : ok I can be at one of them at 10:00 am is there one I should go to in Fort Wayne Indiana, I assume its the same one I picked the equipment up at.
7:12:17 PM Your Guy: Just to make it easy for you shall I schedule appointment at your place, so that tech can visit your house at your convenient time.
7:12:36 PM Your Guy: If you wanted to visit the store than it is up to you.
7:12:50 PM Your Guy: you can visit any nearest store.
7:13:03 PM My Name : I will not be here tomorrow morning but I will be out in the car. I can just stop in and swap out the modem. Thanks for your help I will take care of it.
7:13:17 PM Your Guy: Perfect!
7:13:35 PM Your Guy: One more thing.
7:13:57 PM My Name : okay
7:14:23 PM Your Guy: As a reminder, we have My Account app available for download at - http://customer.xfinity.com...upport/xfinity-apps/ It gives you the convenience to manage your bills and payments through your tablet /mobile device.
7:14:32 PM Your Guy:
As a reminder, we have self service help and tutorials at https://customer.xfinity.co...support/selfservice/ - to guide you on basic troubleshooting steps.

7:14:41 PM Your Guy:
Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

7:14:49 PM My Name : No thank you.
7:15:03 PM Your Guy:
Thank you for choosing Xfinity and have a great day!

7:15:03 PM My Name : I will go into the store in the morning and swap out the modem.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
45 minutes I am not getting back.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 06-19-2018).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fix for you the internet I will. Hmmmm

I get it he had to do his job but it shouldn't take 45 minutes to diagnose that the modem died from the storm we just had.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to ask, why did you even call?
You knew it was dead, as would I, why not just take it in to show it was shot and get another one?
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I work (part time, my semi-retirement option) for Advance Auto Parts, our IT support is from India. Due to my position, I am frequently required to call IT. I can't adequately describe how frustrating this can be. Rarely am I able to make them understand the problem without giving them remote control of the system while trying to describe the problem and the communications issues are horrible.

I have no doubt some of the issues are my fault, I am not the most computer literate person around but, if you are servicing an English speaking country, you damn well should have full command of the language. It's very frustrating.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-20-2018).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On occasion the little things in life make you laugh out loud...… I worked at a major insurance call center that I won't name. (the lizard with the stupid accent). I was a homeowners insurance representative. At the time of the call I was not licensed in all states ….. I answered the phone, greeted and identified myself and was greeted with... Thank God, an American! Someone I can understand.... and on and on and on....pure joy on the other end of the phone. The caller went to great lengths to explain how frustrated he had become calling for service on (Name item here) and getting Bob from India or one of the 'stan' countries. After at least 5 minutes I was able to find out he was shopping for homeowners insurance in a state I was not lcensed in. I offered to get him to an agent with the proper license and as he God Blessed me for being American I placed him on an open hold and dialed into the 'gate' that had the agents with the proper credentials. As fate would have it, one of our all American employees that happen to be of India heritage including the accent answered the line. (Done with the accent) ---Hello and good morning, this is BOB, I'll be happy to assist you today! The scream that came across the headset, followed by the click of the phone had me in laughing to the point of tears.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Web assist is very likely a Bot w/ Scripts to follow.
Calling just get same from a human hired off the street this week.

Going to stored can replace the "Gateway" but lighting damage has likely cause bad splitters and other items.
Even Ground points on/in the home are likely bad...

These will need replacement to get good signal. If not then expect slow internet etc.
Bad grounds may not slow down the internet but expect to fry anything connected to the cable again and likely soon.

Note that Premise Wiring start at that ground point or main distribution to a building for most people. You will get charge Hourly Labor Rates by Cable Co to fix these problems.
You or hired repairer can fix most things but DOCSIS 3/3.1 equipment have rules to meet. Failing this then you will have slow/no internet etc.
Big rule is the Gateway/Modem only allow 1 splitter (1GHz minimum) preferred 2 way or uneven 3 way (1 to modem only ~3.5db, 2 other have 5-7db loss) and "RG-6" cables to get best signal. TV/STB are down stream of this. (Yes I know RG-6 have other names but is same thing for most users. To the point Many bulk boxes for commercial installers still have RG-6 label on the the box regardless wire inside.)

ETA-->See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/117157.html#p5
If Current Gateway models died likely have Ground/Filter and is bad too and can't get it at most local stores.

And-->tell why most should have same filter.
http://www.ppc-online.com/b...ference-issue-solved
http://www.ppc-online.com/b...vent-content-sharing
Not just Cable STB or Gateways uses MoCA but anything connected to the coax can.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-20-2018).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was in an apartment building so not much I can do about the cables. I believe it was lightning and the modem was less tolerant than the DVR.

They swapped the modem and I was back in business the next day.
sdgdf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sdgdfSend a Private Message to sdgdfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a problem like this back in 2014 when lightning struck the tree next to my house, frying most of my electronics.

I didn't mention it was because of a storm (they might've said it was MY fault ), I just chatted with AT&T, told them the device wouldn't power on tested on different circuits in my house. No matter how long I left it unplugged or if I did a reset.

I just pushed to get them to send a tech out, and denied most of their troubleshooting requests. Then got the first available time. I'm self-employed so it was important to get it fixed ASAP and to take whatever time off to do it. Anyways, the chat only took like 5 minutes.

Tech came out, started troubleshooting but didn't get very far (as it wouldn't power on at all lol) and just gave me a new router. Nice as their last one didn't have wireless N or gigabit ethernet.

I've had to call enough call-centers/tech support I usually know what direction to push to get it over with quickly. They're usually just low-skill min-wage following a script, so its easy to get lost in a loop of idiocy.
sdgdf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sdgdfSend a Private Message to sdgdfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sdgdf

253 posts
Member since Sep 2012

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

This was in an apartment building so not much I can do about the cables. I believe it was lightning and the modem was less tolerant than the DVR.

They swapped the modem and I was back in business the next day.

I find that their (AT&T, Comcast, etc) network gets hit by lightning REAL easily. I consider it my main point of weakness for lightning strikes. It takes a very close strike to get hit over the power lines, but a strike can be a neighborhood or more away and come across internet line (fiber? coax? w/e?). For this reason, if there's any chance of thunderstorms (and here in GA its thunderstorm season 9+ months/year) I'll unplug the data line on my router whenever I leave the house. If I'm here and a thunderstorm hits, I'll pull it long before the storm gets severe. Things get real bad I'll unplug stuff from outlets, but its rare to have something real dangerous directly overhead.

Started doing this after something happened a year or two ago. I had everything surge-protected, and I heard a close strike. Nothing of mine got hit besides the ethernet port on my laptop. Considered myself lucky right there that it didn't take out anything else that was plugged in over ethernet, but now I have to use a PCMCIA card to do gigabit transfers with my laptop .

I've had my equipment get hit at least 6 times in the past 15 years. Last time it was real bad was a direct hit in 2014. I was in my living room and saw electricity arc out of my TV. I had APC surge protectors everywhere and it didn't help, not against something on that kind of scale . Now I take lightning seriously.

[This message has been edited by sdgdf (edited 07-03-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2018 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

I work (part time, my semi-retirement option) for Advance Auto Parts, our IT support is from India. Due to my position, I am frequently required to call IT. I can't adequately describe how frustrating this can be. Rarely am I able to make them understand the problem without giving them remote control of the system while trying to describe the problem and the communications issues are horrible.

I have no doubt some of the issues are my fault, I am not the most computer literate person around but, if you are servicing an English speaking country, you damn well should have full command of the language. It's very frustrating.

Rams

I can fully confirm this with the Advance IT people. Worthless group of people they are, so glad I'm not with that company anymore and don't have to deal with them anymore.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock