Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Nothing on the school shootings in Santa Fe this morning?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Nothing on the school shootings in Santa Fe this morning? by Khw
Started on: 05-18-2018 03:26 PM
Replies: 19 (376 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 05-21-2018 10:33 AM
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife saw this in her news feed this morning as it was occurring. She clicked in to a stream and heard reports as events unfolded. 8-10 dead as she listened. I just found a New York Times article on it and noted a severe lack of what type of firearm was used.

https://www.bing.com/fd/ls/...EtZmUtdGV4YXMuaHRtbA

It appears 10 dead with several injuries. Why? What kind of firearm caused these deaths? Well according to the streams I listened to this morning, and something that explains the lack from the NYT article, it was one of those dreaded firearms the democrats have said is the ONLY thing one should need for home defense. I’m sure we will hear about these dreaded AR20’s and AR12’s (joking)... actually known as shotguns. The pinnacle of Democrat self defense weapons is what was used here for this shooting. No wonder I’m having trouble finding mention of the type of firearm. It doesn’t fit that Assault Rifle description but instead flaunts the narrative of evil black AR15.

That said, my prayers go out to the unfortunate families impacted by the sick acts of this coward.

------------------
"I see the way each side of the aisle twists what is being said and it is beyond comprehension that anyone can subscribe to such sources as gospel. It seems the new Religions are not of Gods but of Ideologies." D. C. Hamlon 2018

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-18-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perpetrator used a shotgun and a pistol.

Condolences to the families and friends of those lost in such a needless slaughter.

Rams
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reports posted on the net say the weapons belonged to his father. My guess is either they were not secured or he had info/hardware to get to them if they were secured in some sort of container.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 05-19-2018).]

RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very sad, my heart goes out to the student and families of the school.

I'm always baffled by the media and their reports that there were no obvious risk factors.

Could it be the Risk Factors have become some common to our world that we no longer consider them Risk Factors.

We can talk about the breakdown of the family, and what is especially true for males, the disappearance of healthy father-son relationships.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is to talk about? Same stuff different day, sad. We need to bring back fist fighting in the schools. I used to be picked on. Was taught to fight, fought one person that bigger, older, and I dominated him. Never felt a need to have a fight on a unwilling participant and nobody messed with me or one of my friends when I was around.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

What is to talk about? Same stuff different day, sad. We need to bring back fist fighting in the schools. I used to be picked on. Was taught to fight, fought one person that bigger, older, and I dominated him. Never felt a need to have a fight on a unwilling participant and nobody messed with me or one of my friends when I was around.

Says there is nothing to talk about and then goes on to talk about it.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

He sure as hell doesn't need me to defend him or speak for him, but strictly speaking he didn't say "there is nothing to talk about".

I see the word *what* in the sentence.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was the way when I was in high school back in the fifties. Just like a pro boxing match without the ring.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get it -- We are sick of hearing it, but yet we are still bothered by it. So we should be talking about it, but it's the same of song.

So often these daily news threads burn out really quick, because they just become a sounding board for our frustrations. We vent, and then move on.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An average of 102 people die everyday in traffic accidents according to NHTSA. News dont report that either. Possibly if they stop giving all the coverage of school shootings, the shooters will stop on their own since theyre not getting their 5 mins of fame. Its a bad deal on schools, but they just have to learn that they have to lockdown schools during the school day. Around here anyway, students skip classes and go in and out of the campus/building at will. When I was in school students were not allowed to leave the building to go hang out or go to the parking lot for any reason. The cities say they dont have the money for lockdowns and officers. The parents at most schools can come up with money for their kids to play football or go on field trips...make parents pay at least part of the bills either by a fee on each kid or by adding more property taxes to people with students. Why am I having to pay school taxes when I havent had a kid in school for 40 years.
PFF
System Bot
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by RotrexFiero:[/BSays there is nothing to talk about and then goes on to talk about it.

I know, right?
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger, I agree.

The reason they only provided limited, if no, coverage on suicide is for that reason. It only promotes the behavior.

But, all of news is about murder. Those are always the top news stories.

Hollywood is about guns, violence, and murder. Try making a movie without any killing in it. That's a Disney Film!!!

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Roger, I agree.

The reason they only provided limited, if no, coverage on suicide is for that reason. It only promotes the behavior.

But, all of news is about murder. Those are always the top news stories.

My wife and I were talking about this and there is another aspect today that wasn't there when I was a kid. Yes way back then, a fist fight was more likely than a gun or even knife. I think that's still true today but we don't get reports that Tommy and Billy had a fist fight today at Montgomery Junior High. Fist fights are to commonplace.

That said, there is one aspect I considered when my wife and I discussed it. In the 70's, 80's and 90's that my wife and I were in school for there was one common thing for us. Everybody is going to be bullied by someone else in some way at school. My wife was and I was. It was the worst prior to 10th grade. With 10th grade it decreased, 11th grade it decreased more and by 12th most people who picked on me prior grew up. They grew up enough to stop and in many cases become my friend when they realized how cool a person I really was behind it all. The few who may have still wanted to bully me were probably deterred by all the people I was now friends with or I was just lucky enough to not see them much at school.

I want to bring attention to the last part of that last sentence. "At school" is a very important descriptor in that sentence. When I was in school, I got picked on at school. I would come home after school and not have to worry about it until the next day. I would come home on Friday and not have to worry about it until Monday. I would go home for holidays or seasonal breaks, summer break being a very important one, and not have to worry about it until I went back to school.

What I'm getting at is with today's technology and social media, bullying follows the kids home. They don't get a break from it. They don't get the evening and night to recuperate and polish up that armor for the next day. They get kids bullying them on their phones or on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or whatever the current hot social media platform is.

I think as adults today, many of us who express the "back in my day we just had fist fights" don't consider that back in their day bullying didn't follow you home so easily like it can today. A constant battering like that might have been enough to cause a violent lashing back like we see now if it had happened back in the day to the extent it can happen now. We often forget that times have changed and things just aren't the same now as they were when we were kids.

Anyways, there are so many aspects to this issue that have relevance. Just having news stop covering it may decrease it some but it won't end it on it's own.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't be bullied if you don't access the websites on the phone.
Can't be bullied if you have the courage to stand up to it.
Self esteem comes from within, not from others, but kids aren't taught that anymore it seems.
Parents are too busy to raise their children.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read somewhere that the Santa Fe Kid was rejected by a girl, kept pursuing her, and then some other student intervened. He was called out in the middle of a class.

So there was, so it sounds like some humiliation, and so he targeted those people.

Certainly his reaction does not fit, or excuse what he did. But, as he mentioned, There was a story to be told.

As someone mentioned, there is a developmental norm to bullying. As kids try to fit in, they are sure to be exclude, make and break friendships, and hearts do get broken.

But, what we have now are kids who are no longer able to handle their emotions.

Maybe it has more to do with the lack of people in their lives that they can talk through these things with.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No public schools.
No tax credits.
Pay for your own burden.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
In the 70's, 80's and 90's that my wife and I were in school for there was one common thing for us. Everybody is going to be bullied by someone else in some way at school. My wife was and I was. It was the worst prior to 10th grade. With 10th grade it decreased, 11th grade it decreased more and by 12th most people who picked on me prior grew up. They grew up enough to stop and in many cases become my friend when they realized how cool a person I really was behind it all. The few who may have still wanted to bully me were probably deterred by all the people I was now friends with or I was just lucky enough to not see them much at school.

In the ninth grade, there were a lot more people who were available to bully you.
In the tenth grade, even less.
Of course it decreased more so in the eleventh grade.
In the 12th grade, ... still less people who would bully ... a known member of the school society.

They grew up enough to stop ...

Not likely ! They graduated to become wife abusers or other social
malcontents. (?)

What I'm getting at is with today's technology and social media, bullying follows the kids home. They don't get a break from it.

Call me a dick, call me a crunt, call me a pussy, call me what you will. I know who I am.
I guess it could be said, perhaps there is bullying on PFF O/T. I just push the ignore button in my head. I could care less what the Smiths and Jones think.

I think as adults today, many of us who express the "back in my day we just had fist fights" don't consider that back in their day bullying didn't follow you home so easily like it can today.

Sticks and bones will brake my bones but words/ridicule will never hurt me.

I understand. Snowflakes have no self esteem. It isn't like rumors or gossip was invented was invented by Al Gore when he invented the idiot net.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

In the ninth grade, there were a lot more people who were available to bully you.
In the tenth grade, even less.
Of course it decreased more so in the eleventh grade.
In the 12th grade, ... still less people who would bully ... a known member of the school society.

My experience must have been different from yours. High school for me saw pretty grade specific classes. Meaning, in 9th grade, 5 of the 6 classes I had a day were 9th grade classes. Only art was a mixed grade class. 10th grade pretty much the same except advanced drafting. 11th, again mostly 11th grade classes with art and advanced drafting. It wasn't until my 12th grade year that I had only 2 12th grade specific classes with the rest being electives. People outside my grade really didn't have much opportunity to bully. Even so, the worst bullying years for me were 8th the last grade before high school, and 9th the first grade of high school. Meaning I left 1 school at the top of it's class range and entered another at it's lowest. Add in to that, I was a rather shy kid who kept mostly to myself. I was excluded from PE ( physical education ) due to physical limitations and I was a small guy overall and extremely light weight. I might have been 120 lbs tops when I graduated ( if I recall correctly I was bouncing between 110 and 115 at that age but might have gotten up to 120 by the end of that school year ). Some things might match up with my experiences for yours as well, but I doubt they all will. Who didn't pick on the feather weight who couldn't even be macho enough to have PE?

It gave me thicker skin I'd say and I try to give my kids that same toughness. Screw what other people say or think about you. You may have to deal with it for a time but eventually you or the other will be excluded from the place the interactions take place and you won't have to see that person ever again if you don't want to. I don't really keep in touch with many people I knew back in high school. None from the tech. school I attended after high school. Old jobs in Cali before I moved away? Nope. Family in Cali is about it and a couple of friends of the family. A lot of people are to transitory in life to let those temporary people pull you down. Kids need to learn this and not be hovered over so they can't learn to cope with things.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2018 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is NOT a republican natured issue. Just the thought of ferociously killing others in this fashion screams of the policies of a ****ed up democrat society. My lifestyle and morals did NOT have anything to do with this.

NOT sorry. I am one of the few that understand this. I am not a bully, nor a victim. Enjoy your day...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock