Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  If an AC-130 Gunship catches your attention...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
If an AC-130 Gunship catches your attention... by MidEngineManiac
Started on: 05-14-2018 10:53 AM
Replies: 14 (256 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 05-16-2018 06:04 AM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2018 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might have a few reservations wrt using a B1B as a ground attack vehicle. In a close support role, it is likely that they are a large target if there is effective opposition either from ground./shoulder based weapons or opposition aircraft. They might be more valuable in a heavy bomber role that they were designed for instead of a ground attack aircraft that might require a different training track.

Nelson
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In VN, I liked the gunships with 105 and 75 mm Howitzer cannons on board. I dont recall any of the AC47s or 130s being shot down by groundfire.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-14-2018).]

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it too. But the patent itself may be an "Area Denial Weapon." If you come up with an interesting idea, even if you have no good use for it right now, you file the patent. That way, your competitors can't use the idea.

The B-1 may not be the ideal platform for close air support, but the now-patented concept may be applied to any other aircraft that Boeing may or may not actually be working on.

Better yet, one of their competitors is working on. Now they have to come to Boeing for licensing, or design around their patent.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking this is another Hollywood influenced idea. Reminds me of some of the stuff from Star Wars.
Creative ideas are out there. If it works, kills the bad guys and saves American troops, I'm all for it.

Rams
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2018 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A cruising speed of 647 mph. Mach 1.25. Several series went mach 2.2.

B-1B “Lancer”

BY BOEING

The B-1B is the improved variant of the B-1A, which was cancelled in 1977. The program was resurrected in 1981 with the first production model flying in 1984. The B-1B was delivered to the Air Force in 1985.

The B-1B’s blended wing/body configuration, variable-geometry design, and turbofan engines continue to provide great range and high speed, more than 900 mph at sea level. Forward wing settings are used for takeoff, landings, and high-altitude maximum cruise. Swept wing settings are used in high subsonic and supersonic flight and also enhance the B-1B’s maneuverability.

The B-1B employs forward-looking radar and terrain-following radar. Its extremely accurate Global Positioning System/Inertial Navigation System, Doppler radar, and radar altimeter enable aircrews to navigate around the world without ground-based navigation aids.

The Museum’s B-1B, serial number 83-0069, was flown to Robins AFB in 2002 and is marked as 86-0098, a B-1B that was assigned to the Georgia Air National Guard’s 116th Bombardment Wing.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Span: 136 ft. 8 in., 78 ft. 2 in. (spread)
Length: 146 ft.
Height: 34 ft.
Weight: 477,000 loaded
Armament: Up to 84 Mk-82 GPU bombs, 30 CBU-87/89 cluster bombs or 24 GBU-31 JDAMs
Engines: Four General Electric F101-GE-102 afterburning turbofans of 30,000 lbs. thrust ea.
Serial Number: 83-0069

PERFORMANCE:
Maximum speed: 1,390 mph.
Cruising speed: 647 mph.
Range: 6,100 miles
Service ceiling: 60,000 ft.

Bomber

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought the B1 design was very... Odd? For a bomber role. The cannon option makes sense, allowing it to potentially perform more roles, or defend itself.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2018 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I always thought the B1 design was very... Odd? For a bomber role. The cannon option makes sense, allowing it to potentially perform more roles, or defend itself.

It is moving too fast. I have a hard time understanding sticking a gun out at hyper sonic speeds. The plane is designed to carry heavy loads very quickly. World record quickly.

I call BS. I can see a patent filed for a "by chance" payoff scenario.

If I am wrong, let me know. 😝
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
It is moving too fast. I have a hard time understanding sticking a gun out at hyper sonic speeds. The plane is designed to carry heavy loads very quickly. World record quickly.

I thought the same thing. How accurate is a cannon going 500 mph. What was the most effective was the Howitzers mounted in under 90mph C 47s. They could fly circles around a football stadium. B1 would be hard pressed to stay inside city limits.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I call BS. I can see a patent filed for a "by chance" payoff scenario.

If I am wrong, let me know. 😝

Won't say you are wrong but weapon guidance systems have come a long way in the last 30 years.

I would not be surprised at almost anything. Our old armor used to have to stop to fire accurately, now they can hit targets at high speeds on rough terrain and do it faster repeatedly than anything around during Vietnam Nam. Elon Musk has reusable rockets that land on legs softly. No one thought this was possible a decade ago...

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 05-15-2018).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2018 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO, using a B-1B as a ground attack plane seems silly. That said, Boeing also makes the B-52.
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2018 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really doubt they intend to strafe at 500 mph. Does anybody know the lowest speed a B1 can fly at? That'd be the ground attack speed. I know most ground attack aircraft (except the A-10) are capable of much higher speeds than what they use for ground attack. Even Roger's F-4 was capable of Mach 2, but I doubt he did ground attack at that speed.

But like Blackrams said, with modern targeting systems, we sure can only guess at the actual capabilities.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2018 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The B-1 has no business as a ground attack aircraft. But it could sneak up behind a Russian bomber somewhere far out in the Pacific or over the North Pole and completely ruin it's day. Or as self defense like the tail gun on a B-52.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some interesting reading if youd like.

https://www.airspacemag.com...do-180953944/?

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-15-2018).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

I really doubt they intend to strafe at 500 mph. Does anybody know the lowest speed a B1 can fly at? That'd be the ground attack speed. I know most ground attack aircraft (except the A-10) are capable of much higher speeds than what they use for ground attack. Even Roger's F-4 was capable of Mach 2, but I doubt he did ground attack at that speed.

But like Blackrams said, with modern targeting systems, we sure can only guess at the actual capabilities.

I agree. While I doubt it will even be built, I believe the whole idea was to copyright the concept, just in case. Boeing now owns it .

Rams

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock