Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Sleep. Tired all the time? Do you drink alot?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sleep. Tired all the time? Do you drink alot? by 2.5
Started on: 05-10-2018 04:09 PM
Replies: 24 (533 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 06-14-2018 12:25 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From around 6 minutes

*WARNING language at beginning of vid

I assume other drugs will also knock you out but not let you actually rest. Like sleeping pills?

8 hours is good if you can get it.

I had an ex military guy tell me once he stayed up 5 days straight when he was in the military, sorry I don't remember which branch. I assume he was on some sort of upper to stay up that long?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-10-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Diet, Melatonin, tryptophan, think you are waking up good to go after 5 hours sleep?

-
-
-

Sleep, the original performance enhancing drug:

(warning language around 13:30)

(After 14:29 its just an ad)

"Sleep on it"
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tired all the time. Don't drink, don't smoke weed or anything else. Sleep like the dead for 8 hours straight each day. Almost never dream, that I'm aware of.

Now tell me what's wrong with me.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Tired all the time. Don't drink, don't smoke weed or anything else. Sleep like the dead for 8 hours straight each day. Almost never dream, that I'm aware of.

Might it be that you're tired all the time?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sleep apnea
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Generally, you only remember dreams if you wake up while having them.
If you're past your "dreamstate" when you wake up - you won't.

It's like you've "slept through the movie"... LOL

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-11-2018).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Sleep apnea

I thought my doc was on to something there too, but I slept with a monitor on and the results came out negative. He ran out of ideas soon after, and I've just been putting up with it.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stubby79

7064 posts
Member since Aug 2008

Originally posted by fierosound:

Generally, you only remember dreams if you wake up while having them.
If you're past your "dreamstate" when you wake up - you won't.

It's like you've "slept through the movie"... LOL

This might be true. When I wake up in the middle of my sleep is the only time I occasionally recollect having a dream.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Iv seen that one, i like to watch Rogan's podcast, he gets some really interesting people on there, and has some really good conversations.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd say you are sleeping just fine.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - no good news there.
https://www.healthline.com/...nic-fatigue-syndrome

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you get 8 hours, probly nothing sleep wise? You might just not remember the dreaming.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-11-2018).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Listening kind of backs up my original thinking, all the people having certain weird issues, prescription pills for stress, pills for emotional health, people doing some crazy things.

Many could just be caused by lack of sleep and a bad diet.

Like fixing a car, start with the simple things.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-11-2018 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cant.

The internets not big enough for that.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"I had an ex military guy tell me once he stayed up 5 days straight when he was in the military, sorry I don't remember which branch. I assume he was on some sort of upper to stay up that long?"

I went 5 days without sleep once while in the Navy. I was standing watch on the Sub as the Shutdown Reactor Operator. I was the only one qualified to do so, so until we turned the ship over to the Blue Crew (SSBN, with two crews) I was it and had to stay on watch. No drug, didn't drink coffee, just will power. And I was dead to the world for two days after that stint. I don't know how I would have been any help after the first couple of days, but I was still on watch.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

"I had an ex military guy tell me once he stayed up 5 days straight when he was in the military, sorry I don't remember which branch. I assume he was on some sort of upper to stay up that long?"

I went 5 days without sleep once while in the Navy. I was standing watch on the Sub as the Shutdown Reactor Operator. I was the only one qualified to do so, so until we turned the ship over to the Blue Crew (SSBN, with two crews) I was it and had to stay on watch. No drug, didn't drink coffee, just will power. And I was dead to the world for two days after that stint. I don't know how I would have been any help after the first couple of days, but I was still on watch.

Never saw anything like hallucinations, etc?
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Never saw anything like hallucinations, etc?

Nope. Just dead tired.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2018 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

Nope. Just dead tired.

That's weird to me, maybe people are so different some actually wont get the hallucinations or fall asleep, sort of like how my grandmother smoked Winstons her whole life and never had any lung issues.
I do think as a military I wouldn't want to put someone on watch for that long, or have a doctor work in surgery for 13 hours for example, or work double or triple shifts.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-15-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Other reasons we need to sleep, I ran across in this vid

From 2:40, but more specifically from 4:00

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-05-2018).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2018 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How is the red blood cell count? You eat meat? Get enough iron?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sleep ? It's overrated. Yes, we do need to recharge the human body.

Click to show

Sleep is nothing more than a habit. Just like eating. If people always eat lunch, if they don't get lunch, they are hungry. The same with breakfast, the same with smoking. A habit. Which can be changed.

My sleep habit has me up at 5:00 AM every morning, without an alarm clock. Sometimes a little earlier. Drinking or not. No matter what time I go to bed. I was up at 4:00 AM today, went to work at six AM, (because I can pick my hours and was up), got home at 7:00 PM, now it's 11:10 PM. I have been drinking. A lot ? Maybe so, maybe not. You will see a post from me at 5:00 AM.

Now, I have a question for 'yall. Do you sleep a lot ?

Monday thru Friday, my Wife gets up at 6:00 AM, give or take, and she doesn't drink. She needs an alarm clock everyday, and knows where the snooze button is. On the weekends, I am an an azzhole is if I wake her up. She will get up nineish. Breakfast, , is at noon, . I don't understand her body clock.

All this should tell you, ... , sleep is a habit.

I guess I get about six hours of sleep a day. Maybe more, maybe less. I never feel tired and am always energetic. Sometimes I do get a catch up day of more hours of sleep, because my body demands it.

I BASICALLY SLEEP THE LESS THAT MY BODY WILL ALLOW ! Every hour that I am sleeping, I am missing out on life !

See 'yall at 5:00 AM.

sdgdf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2018 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sdgdfSend a Private Message to sdgdfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have crazy dreams every night, and it seems like I never sleep without dreaming. Its intense. I also have some lucid dreaming.

The other night, I dreamt I was with some people on some snow-covered mountains that I'm guessing was like the arctic circle in Alaska. Don't remember what we were doing, but towards the end a polar bear arrived and started chasing someone else, I distracted the bear and it came after me. Spent several dream sequences eluding the bear, each would end with me escaping it by falling down a slope or something. But every time, my dreaming would "reset" it'd be in the snow again and the bear would start chasing me from a distance. In the last sequence, the bear actually got close, and in my panic I somehow realized it was a dream, and "spawned" a rifle and killed the bear. Like, I willed the dream to end that way, as far as I know I stopped dreaming there and ended up dreaming again later. Most of my dreams are like this, where I can exert some form of control.

These dreams are vivid enough I can remember them even if I dream different dreams after that and wake up later.

Some dreams I'm physically fighting someone, and can feel the adrenaline rush and my heartrate skyrocket, and sometimes wake up in a fight-or-flight response.

Most of the time I don't mind, as vivid as these negative dreams are, I also have very vivid lucid fun dreams. Like partying, traveling the world, etc. Including a lot I can't say on a family-friendly forum . Honestly these days I live more in my dreams than in real life. I used to do a lot more, now I just grind work week after week, I think the dreaming might be some form of mental rebellion against the grind.

[This message has been edited by sdgdf (edited 06-09-2018).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sdgdf:

I have crazy dreams every night, and it seems like I never sleep without dreaming. Its intense. I also have some lucid dreaming.

The other night, I dreamt I was with some people on some snow-covered mountains that I'm guessing was like the arctic circle in Alaska. Don't remember what we were doing, but towards the end a polar bear arrived and started chasing someone else, I distracted the bear and it came after me. Spent several dream sequences eluding the bear, each would end with me escaping it by falling down a slope or something. But every time, my dreaming would "reset" it'd be in the snow again and the bear would start chasing me from a distance. In the last sequence, the bear actually got close, and in my panic I somehow realized it was a dream, and "spawned" a rifle and killed the bear. Like, I willed the dream to end that way, as far as I know I stopped dreaming there and ended up dreaming again later. Most of my dreams are like this, where I can exert some form of control.

These dreams are vivid enough I can remember them even if I dream different dreams after that and wake up later.

Some dreams I'm physically fighting someone, and can feel the adrenaline rush and my heartrate skyrocket, and sometimes wake up in a fight-or-flight response.

Most of the time I don't mind, as vivid as these negative dreams are, I also have very vivid lucid fun dreams. Like partying, traveling the world, etc. Including a lot I can't say on a family-friendly forum . Honestly these days I live more in my dreams than in real life. I used to do a lot more, now I just grind work week after week, I think the dreaming might be some form of mental rebellion against the grind.

I used to do that when I was younger. It seems to be ilnked to sleeping in too. Sometimes even now if I sleep in on a saturday or something where I don't have to get up at my usual time for work, if I can still sleep well and nothing wakes me up, that is the time I can vaguely control the dream. For me it was sort of realizing I was dreaming that queued it.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The most I ever had to stay up without sleep was 3 days, in the Army. On the 3rd day, I wasn't capable of making an intelligent decision, or any kind of rational thought. I was basically an automaton. I also noticed that when severely sleep-deprived, my metabolism goes crazy. I have to eat a lot more than usual, or else I'll crash.

IMO, going without sleep that long is dangerous. But sometimes you don't have a choice.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have struggled with a lot of sleep issues over the years. Most of it was related to drinking, both because I wasn't getting the right amount of sleep, and because I'd be up late drinking.

After years of 4-7 hours of poor sleep every night, I was depressed, would fall asleep anywhere when given a few minutes to turn my brain off, would have sleep paralysis at least once a week, slept walked, hallucinated while awake... I went to the doctor, took a sleeping test, and experienced sleep paralysis during the test. They said nothing was wrong with me and I didn't have any issues .

When I met my current fiancee, we would spend a lot of nights talking. We talked about our days. This had the effect of decompressing after a stressful day, and I was drinking less because I was with her instead of out with my boys. The hallucinations went away first. Then the sleep paralysis. I slowly overcame my issues one by one by practicing very strict sleep schedules and lengths, and now I am happy to say I have a great sleep life.

Firstly, I'm a morning person. If I wake up too late, I will be tired throughout the day. I now wake up at the same time on weekdays and mornings.

Secondly, my body needs an average of 9 hours of sleep a night over long periods of time to stay healthy. Yes, it's a lot. Yes, I'm a diva. But I'm not depressed anymore so what works for me... works for me. I can function on less without a problem on a daily basis, but if I'm a month in of averaging 7 hours a night, the depression starts kicking in. I take care of myself and sleep earlier to get more rest.

Thirdly, I quit drinking. Haven't had a drop in a year now, and it helped a lot.

Fourthly, mentally complete every time on my to-do list for the day. If I can't complete it that day, don't just put it to the next day, mentally figure out exactly what time you can do it and where it fits in the schedule, so you can check it off today. I go to bed with a completed checklist (even if I didn't complete my checklist) so I can turn off my brain when I hit the bed.

Fifthly, no lucid dreaming. I can control my dreams if I want to. It's fun. But it creates a restless sleep, because my brain is active at night and active again when I wake up. Now I just go along for the ride.

Could be time of day. I am a morning person and need to sleep early, wake early to be good. Also, don't use your cell phone in bed, don't have the TV on, keep the A/C low so you aren't too hot.... Could be any number of things or a combination of all of them. Could also be sleep apnea that they just didn't see that one night they did the test.

Originally posted by cliffw:

Sleep ? It's overrated. Yes, we do need to recharge the human body.

Different bodies need different amounts of sleep. Studies show driving tired is the same to and sometimes worse than driving drunk. The Navy is dealing with this on their subs because of their shitty shifts.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-14-2018 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can always tell when my mind wasnt resting while I'm sleeping.

I wake up and the pillows have been thrown across the room, blankets on the floor, and I literally jump out of bed in a state of pure rage. Levitate would be a better word.

It happened a LOT when I was in the repair industry, I had a few years respite, but now that I am back in the middle of one helva fight with my siblings its started again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock