Started on: 05-06-2018 11:39 PM
Replies: 28 (420 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 05-11-2018 08:41 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2018 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two quick questions. First, is it possible to change out a standard swing door for a pocket door w/o tearing out the drywall? I'm guessing not but I thought I'd better ask. Second, does anyone know about carpenter bees? Will a simple treatment be enough to eradicate them? How often does a treatment need to be reapplied?

TIA!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
texasfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Two quick questions. First, is it possible to change out a standard swing door for a pocket door w/o tearing out the drywall? I'm guessing not but I thought I'd better ask.
TIA!

No. You have to remove the studs in the wall where the pocket door will hide and replace them with the framework that supports the header.

Second, does anyone know about carpenter bees? Will a simple treatment be enough to eradicate them? How often does a treatment need to be reapplied?

TIA!

Don't know about bees
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Train the carpenter bees to go into the wall and chew out the studs. Problem solved. Duh!
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Train the carpenter bees to go into the wall and chew out the studs. Problem solved. Duh!

Not so fast there Bubba. Such training would have to be approved by the Carpenter's Trades Union. There will be additional fees required for unauthorized and unapproved work by those worker bees....... Importing foreign bees from down south might work but be sure to check for green cards. Any not on work Visas might kill the project and the construction superintendent. You might consider termites.

Reference installation of the pocket doors, it's been several years since I did this but as I remember, those videos were right on.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 05-07-2018).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
Not so fast there Bubba. Such training would have to be approved by the Carpenter's Trades Union. There will be additional fees required for unauthorized and unapproved work by those worker bees ... You might consider termites.

Not so fast there Bubba. We need EPA approval, work permits from the City, and to be sure we have licensed bonded contractors. We might need an engineer. Somebody call 84Fiero123.

I wonder how Steve is doing. Long time no see. Gosh. I have no contact info.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2018 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am licensed, bonded, insured, certified in several areas from mold to asbestos, with over 25 years of documented experience. I do exceptional work.

That is all. No advice. Just showing off.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I am licensed, bonded, insured, certified in several areas from mold to asbestos, with over 25 years of documented experience. I do exceptional work.

That is all. No advice. Just showing off.

Yeah, but can you train bees?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2018 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Yeah, but can you train bees?

I cannot train bees.

My search for something witty and relevant ended here. I could go no further, and knew immediately that this needed to be shared with the forum...

Maybe NSFW?

Click to show
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was awesome lol
Pocket doors suck

shem
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, guys. The house I'm thinking about buying is small. I mean, it's tiny. Little. Like about 400sq ft small. It has a tiny bathroom next to an equally tiny kitchen (and I use that term loosely). There's a door between the kitchen and bathroom (thank God). I'm trying to save a little bit of space by replacing the swing door w/a pocket door. I have room in the wall (I think) but the counters/sink is against the wall on the kitchen side and the toilet is about 6" away from the wall on the bathroom side. The shower is on the other side of the doorway so I'm sure the plumbing would be completely in the way.

The carpenter bees are another issue. They've successfully bored into a bit of the wood siding. Nothing structural (just had an inspection today) but I obviously want them gone. The seller has already agreed to treat for them (including patching their holes). I've read about carpenter bee traps (I plan on getting about a dozen) but I don't really know much else about them. I saw a few today. They're some BIG suckers! Kind of lazy flying and the inspector said they're not aggressive but still......
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bottle rockets...
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2018 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, guys. The house I'm thinking about buying is small. I mean, it's tiny. Little. Like about 400sq ft small. It has a tiny bathroom next to an equally tiny kitchen (and I use that term loosely). There's a door between the kitchen and bathroom (thank God). I'm trying to save a little bit of space by replacing the swing door w/a pocket door. I have room in the wall (I think) but the counters/sink is against the wall on the kitchen side and the toilet is about 6" away from the wall on the bathroom side. The shower is on the other side of the doorway so I'm sure the plumbing would be completely in the way.

If you need advice during your house search post it here or PM me if you want details private. I am more than willing to help.

Good luck.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just go with an exposed sliding barn style door? No cutting into the wall...you just give up a little exposed wall space.

The carpenter bees are another issue. They've successfully bored into a bit of the wood siding. Nothing structural (just had an inspection today) but I obviously want them gone. The seller has already agreed to treat for them (including patching their holes). I've read about carpenter bee traps (I plan on getting about a dozen) but I don't really know much else about them. I saw a few today. They're some BIG suckers! Kind of lazy flying and the inspector said they're not aggressive but still......

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

Why not just go with an exposed sliding barn style door? No cutting into the wall...you just give up a little exposed wall space.

No exposed wall space. 6" between one wall and the toilet, shower against the wall on the other side of the doorway. Kitchen counter/sink on one side and laundry area on the other. That's why I was trying to get rid of the swinging door. Good idea and one I would probably go w/if I had the room. Like I said, this thing is TINY. It works for me as I don't need much more than a shack but a couple would be hard pressed to live in it. Let's put it this way, I can sit on the can, brush my teeth at the sink and wash my feet in the shower all at once. Or, do laundry, get in the fridge and wash dishes w/o moving more than a couple steps.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2018 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you could use a folding door? There are many different types available, like bifold doors, accordion doors, etc. Although they'e typically used in closets. So finding one with a lock might be a challenge.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel like you're always trying to half ass everything on a budget. Put the pocket door and then fix the sheetrock. The door install will be a hell of a lot harder than fixing sheetrock.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note:
Exact wall type matters... Like a "load(ed) wall" is a wall that holds up something and have rules to mod them safely, to meet building codes, etc.
Any wall may have wiring and/or plumbing close to old door that will affect installing a pocket door. Moving wiring can be problems as is. Plumbing changes can be a nightmare or impossible.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I feel like you're always trying to half ass everything on a budget. Put the pocket door and then fix the sheetrock. The door install will be a hell of a lot harder than fixing sheetrock.

I don't know about "always". I had an idea and wanted some input. If it can't be done without tearing into a wall, so be it.

Originally posted by theogre:

Note:
Exact wall type matters... Like a "load(ed) wall" is a wall that holds up something and have rules to mod them safely, to meet building codes, etc.
Any wall may have wiring and/or plumbing close to old door that will affect installing a pocket door. Moving wiring can be problems as is. Plumbing changes can be a nightmare or impossible.

It's not a load bearing wall. I don't think anything is in the wall. It's an interior wall so there wouldn't even be any insulation. No wiring or plumbing. The only possible issue is the close proximity to the toilet. It really is only about 6" away from the wall.

Having a swing door there isn't the end of the world. It just makes much better use of the space w/a pocket door, especially with the tiny size of the place.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Maybe you could use a folding door? There are many different types available, like bifold doors, accordion doors, etc. Although they'e typically used in closets. So finding one with a lock might be a challenge.

I don't care about a lock. I'll be the only one living there. Bifold doors might be an alternative although I was hoping for a door to take up zero space. Still.....food for thought.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shower curtain?
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the only other easy option would be a folding accordion type of door.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/...pla&wl10=8175035&wl1 1=online&wl12=54468977&wl13=&veh=sem
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure what the interior looks like, but if swapping out an inswing with an outswing (or vice-versa) would solve your problem, you could always do that too.

A pocket door is decent, but consider that you can't have any plumbing or electrical on the wall where the pocket door will slide into.

Carpenter ants isn't a big deal... just need to "solve the problem" with a bug guy... then just cut out the affected wood, and replace.

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
A pocket door is decent, but consider that you can't have any plumbing or electrical on the wall where the pocket door will slide into.

There are shallow electrical boxes that allow electrical in pocket door framing.

[This message has been edited by texasfiero (edited 05-08-2018).]

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a cheapo $25 dollar accordian door in a place where I was renting a long time ago. Cheap, easy to install, n it worked. I hate pocket doors, I get calls to adjust n patch where "handymen" put nails too long into the trim n it scrapes the door lol. Dorr jammed n the owner or kid kicked it till it opened, or broke lol. Always something w those pocket doors

shem
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Not sure what the interior looks like, but if swapping out an inswing with an outswing (or vice-versa) would solve your problem, you could always do that too.

Carpenter ants isn't a big deal...

The door currently swings into a TINY kitchen. Swinging the door the other way would allow it to swing into an equally small bathroom. It wouldn't help but thanks for the suggestion.

Not carpenter ANTS but carpenter BEES. The seller is obligated to fix that issue. I just didn't know if anyone had any suggestions about long term fixes.

Originally posted by shemdogg:

I used a cheapo $25 dollar accordian door in a place where I was renting a long time ago. Cheap, easy to install, n it worked. I hate pocket doors, I get calls to adjust n patch where "handymen" put nails too long into the trim n it scrapes the door lol. Dorr jammed n the owner or kid kicked it till it opened, or broke lol. Always something w those pocket doors

shem

Thanks, shem but I want something more than an accordian door. A bifold door "might" work if I can't find someone to remove enough wall to install a pocket door. I'm not worried about long nails. I'd check and double check someones work. If they do something that scratches the door, they get the do the entire job again.....for free. Nobody else will be in the house so I'm not worried about a kid kicking the door.
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One last idea...what about two half doors on double swing hinges.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are planning on living alone take the door off. You're talking about spending potentially a good bit of money for a house smaller than my en suite. We had 3 nuisance doors in there. I took all of them off but the closet. I would've pulled it to, but sometimes company uses our bathroom and my wife doesn't "clean" the closet. That and my safes are behind that door. We made that one a security door since it is central to the house, it doubles as a shelter for my animals in inclement weather.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My father's parents lived their entire lives in Bismarck in the same house where he was born. The house had no interior doors, only curtains. Actually, it was nothing more than a basement with a roof on it. They were very poor.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

One last idea...what about two half doors on double swing hinges.

That's a pretty good idea. If I get the house, I'll have to look into that!

Originally posted by ls3mach:

If you are planning on living alone take the door off. You're talking about spending potentially a good bit of money for a house smaller than my en suite.

Living alone, yes, but I still want a private bathroom. You never know when I might have company, either my folks or someone else. I am definitely talking about a small house but I'm also talking about a place I'll live for the next 15-20 years. It's not worth putting $100000 into but it IS worth putting something into. For example, I hate carpet so I'll rip up the carpet and install some sort of wood (ish) flooring. It might be laminate, it might be something better. If I'm living in it, there's no reason to compromise (for the most part).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock