Started on: 05-04-2018 11:04 AM
Replies: 16 (332 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 05-08-2018 11:17 AM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The South is its own entity in the United States, through and through. Whether you’re talking about fried okra or your momma’s famous bundt cake, there are few things more satisfying than a delicious Southern tradition. The fond memories associated with many a Southern family often stem from experiences shared over comfort food. Peanuts in Coca-Cola is one of those traditions.

http://www.wideopeneats.com/peanuts-in-coca-cola/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You want me to stick my what in your coca-cola? That might tingle.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

from link
A staple of most road trips through the West Texas desert, along the coastal bayou of the Gulf of the Mexico, ...

So how did this sweet and salty goodness become a huge part of Southern culture?

I have been in Texas since 1968. Florida before then. I have never heard of this.

I have to go to the grocery store anyways, so, sometimes you have to say "what the frack" ? If it tastes good, I might experiment with peanut butter and Coke, in the blender. Maybe make a sandwich, or, a smoothie. ... added alcohol is a possibility.

Hmm ... why hasn't Coca-Cola made a peanut flavored concoction ? They are headquartered in the South, in Georgia.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I have been in Texas since 1968. Florida before then. I have never heard of this.

My grandfather who lived in Pensacola, but was originally from Alabama used to do this.

I have to go to the grocery store anyways, so, sometimes you have to say "what the frack" ? If it tastes good, I might experiment with peanut butter and Coke, in the blender. Maybe make a sandwich, or, a smoothie. ... added alcohol is a possibility.

Hmm ... why hasn't Coca-Cola made a peanut flavored concoction ? They are headquartered in the South, in Georgia.

How about peanut butter beer? This just might be my favorite beer, but it is only available here.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this what "peanuts in a bottle" means in this song? I wondered what that was about.
But, would he be referring to peanuts in Dr Pepper then... "the fizz in a pepper"?
But then down south many places every pop/soda is a coke....

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-04-2018).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Is this what "peanuts in a bottle" means in this song? I wondered what that was about.
But, would he be referring to peanuts in Dr Pepper then... "the fizz in a pepper"?

Since he said "10, 2 and 4", he is definitely talking about Dr Pepper.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It'd probly be good, I mean most "sweet n salty" is.

This guy referenced Dr Pepper too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-04-2018).]

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

It'd probly be good, I mean "sweet n salty" is.

It'd be a bad thing to go through life without that experience!
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Barbra Mandrell sang about putting peanuts in her coke (when no one was looking):

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 05-04-2018).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Louisiana is about as far south as you can grow up and I've never heard of this.

Do people consider Florida part of the south?
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

How about peanut butter beer? This just might be my favorite beer, but it is only available here.

One of my favorites:

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

One of my favorites:

That looks tasty! I'll bet it would make a good ice cream float.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It wasn't just a southern thing, I dated several young ladies that put peanuts in the cokes way back when. That was in Kansas.
Wasn't something I cared for but, I figured that if they would do that they might be open to other adventures.

Rams
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Louisiana is about as far south as you can grow up and I've never heard of this.

Do people consider Florida part of the south?

Louisiana was where I first heard about it.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Louisiana was where I first heard about it.

I asked my coon ass family. They've never heard of it. Asked my wife (Missouri) she said RC.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I grew up here in the Atlanta area and thought it was a natural way to have a Coke. Of course, Coke is the major soft drink here, being the home of the beverage.

We'd collect soft drink bottles from trash piles or along the country roadside and take them to the store in our bicycle baskets. Redeam them for 3 cents each and for the profit of 4 bottles, we could buy a Coke and a bag of peanuts for a nickle each. The simple way to ride back home was to pour the peanuts into the Coke so we could use the other hand on the handlebars. I've heard that same reasoning for drivers to continue down the road with a drink and a good protein snack, long before cup holders became a required accessory in a vehicle. And it's so much easier than tipping the bag for peanuts then holding them while you grab a mouth full of Coke.

We had Coke, Pepsi, RC Cola, and Dr. Pepper, along with a wide selection of Bireley's non-carbonated fruit flavored drinks. The kids would usually go for the Pepsi or RC because they were a few ounces more, but no one EVER put their peanuts into a Bireley's drink.

You do need to be prepared to take a good sip as soon as you pour the peanuts into the bottle. The salt tends to make the drink foam a bit.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Living in Pensacola back in the 50's and early 60's, it was RC and Nehi.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 05-08-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock