Started on: 01-16-2018 11:30 AM
Replies: 15 (261 views)
Last post by: jmbishop on 01-16-2018 09:18 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
get a pickup truck door unfrozen?
(truck is unlocked and handle works..it's just frozen within the jamb and seal)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always slow poured hot water around the seal areas. Follow up with a dry towel so it doesn't re-freeze.

~Tyler
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2018 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Acetylene torch--get that puppy open in no time !

Seriously, I always used the hot water mathod, or if one is available a heat gun. Just go gentle with the gun so you dont hurt the paint, the idea is to warm the metal above freezing.

Worst case scenario, a pry-bar WILL pop it, but count on replacing the seals. Had to do that once or twice in my life.
Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alcohol.... The rubbing kind ... not the drinking kind
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stupid question.....does the truck have a remote start option? If so start it up and let it run a while to thaw it out.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

Stupid question.....does the truck have a remote start option? If so start it up and let it run a while to thaw it out.

Good suggestion.

I've gone in through the passenger side before, when the driver's side was frozen solid.
otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's not a deep freeze that would effectively weld the door shut, try using a plastic ice scraper to pry to door open. I've had to do this once or twice each winter for ages now and, if the ice patch is small, it can easily pop open the door without doing any damage to the vehicle at all.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

No remote start.. Fleet base model Chevy Silverado. . Doors on both side are froze.

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isopropyl alcohol, windshield washer fluid. Something that will combine with water and is below water's freezing point. Anything hot like lacquer thinner might eat the paint or rubber seals.

You can do it with a pot of warm water if it's not too cold.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hot water and open immediately. Wipe it dry as you can and spray WD40 liberally on the seal all the way around. The WD40 displaces water. You also can use it on wet distributors and plug wires. I use this all the time on cars I have to pull in the garage that are frozen. I just did one this morning while it was 5* out. Washer fluid or alcohol work, but takes a while.

DONT pull too hard on door handles. Most newer cars have plastic ones. I cant count the number of door handles Ive had to replace from people trying to pull the door open. The plastic also breaks MUCH more easily when cold.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-16-2018).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's like the frozen bolt. Tighten before loosening. Give it a good shot INWARD before attempting to open. I've had this work many times. The few times it didn't work it was because moisture had gotten into the foam insulation and that acted as a cushion that would absorb any movement without breaking the frozen seal.
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen inside your shed. Seeing what you have to work with, pretend it a tree and go at it with an axe or 2
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got it with hot water. Made it into civilization to get a bag of stock salt for the steps and back patio.
People here buying little boxes of kitchen salt to put on their steps for $2ea and I buy 50 lb sacks for $4-$6 at any feed store.
Usually have some but I mixed up some range meal last week and used the last I had.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spray & wipe the weather strip with silicone liquid to keep it from sticking shut again.

WD-40 or vaseline may work too. (edit) The problem with petroleum products is that they leave a film which attracts dust.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 01-18-2018).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

It's like the frozen bolt. Tighten before loosening. Give it a good shot INWARD before attempting to open. I've had this work many times. The few times it didn't work it was because moisture had gotten into the foam insulation and that acted as a cushion that would absorb any movement without breaking the frozen seal.

This, most doors will give inward against the rubber, cracking the ice around the edges.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by spark1:

Spray the weather strip with silicon to keep it from sticking shut again.

WD-40 or vaseline may work too.

Aerospace protectant 303 would be best, make the rubber last forever and make it repel water.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 01-16-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock