Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Wanted to go wheelin -- and my CRAP winch doesn't work.. ENGO E10000... What to buy?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Wanted to go wheelin -- and my CRAP winch doesn't work.. ENGO E10000... What to buy? by unboundmo
Started on: 01-13-2018 02:38 AM
Replies: 16 (824 views)
Last post by: dratts on 01-16-2018 07:05 PM
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been through a lot of videos and reviews... all seem to lean to Warn -- go figure.. but as a lot of us, our wallets don't want to be too deep.

*** Looking for some opinions and your reviews... if you have a winch... ***

What do you use and why ??? How has it performed?.... Would you recommend to your mom? --- ( As a figure of speach ) 👵🏼

For me and in my research ---- I'm leaning toward the Bulldog 10005... roughly I've seen them go for $460 (on sale) - $550 - $670 most places and are free shipping... I also have Amazon prime for couple day delivery.. this model comes with a steel rope but I'd like to swap it out for my synthetic.. plus it'll save weight.. the unit in original form is 94lbs.. synthetic rope should cut 20 lbs , thinking.

I'm not an every weekend go get're when it comes to wheeling ( I have my fiero to take up my time driving and tinkering too ).... but I am every other month or so maybe.. or when there is just dirt/ trails/ and reckless driving TO BE HAD ----.. I'M THERE! 😜

The winch I have now on my jEEP (4) door is an ENGO E10000... ( the jEEP has a 4" long arm, 8 link with 35" tires to give you a size/ weigh vision..).. I'd say the jEEP weighs 4700 lbs - 5200 if loaded... There is a synthetic rope on the ENGO now that'll handle, I think, 16,000lbs.. Since 2012, I've only been stuck once and haven't used the winch "YET" to pull me out. Another truck just used a tie rope. I have pulled out the synthetic rope several times to wash and for maintainance check but haven't for a year now..

WELL--- I wanted to go wheeling this weekend ... did a safety check tonight ---- fluids / gear / winch etc... and found that the winch just clicks and will not work.. ENGO stated from the specs that this winch is water resistant.. ( which is NOT true ).. trouble shooting the click to the enclosed case where the seloniods are... and found it to be all rusted inside.. sitting in 1/2" of water.. I could imagine what the gears are like in the body of the unit.. furthermore --- the hand lever for engage and disengage, rusted the first month from purchase.... AND THIS IS CALIFORNIA!... it never rains!

Anyway... just want to vent some..

Now back to the Bulldog ---->>> features are as follows: and I think I like it for a contender... and for never needing a winch--- yet!.. --- For my wheeling pleasure, I tend to be in the moderate catagory... I own a pulley block and correct coordinating gear to go with it for my style wheeling.. .. for comparison, the price is right in the ballpark too.. not too cheap - not too expensive..... THOUGHTS?????

Sorry for the book below.. info is good though

-------------------->>>

ALL INFO REVIEWS (3) Q & A (2) RELATED PARTS WHY ETRAILER?

Bulldog Winch Electric Winch - BDW10005

Heavy-duty winch with a 5.8-hp, series-wound motor lets you safely recover a stuck vehicle. The integrated power unit protects the contactor and helps reduce installation time. Includes hand-held remote, free-spool clutch, and roller fairlead.

Features:
Standard Series recovery winch lets you pull your stuck vehicle out of mud, snow, water or a ditch and up steep inclines
Perfect for rock crawlers, Jeeps, and off-road racing 4x4 trucks
Designed for vehicles with a maximum GVW of 6,667 lbs
Integrated design - extruded aluminum power unit is permanently mounted over the drum
Protects contactor and wiring from rocks and debris
Helps reduce installation time
5.8-hp, Series-wound motor delivers powerful, fast, and safe line pulling
Motor is more powerful, more efficient, and produces more torque than a permanent magnet motor
Drain holes let water escape to prevent moisture buildup
Aluminum cover offers better protection for contactor when compared with a plastic power unit
Sealed, 450-amp contactor transmits power from the vehicle's battery to the winch motor
Water- and weather-resistant to IP67 specifications
Automatic, mechanical brake holds 100 percent of the load while minimizing winch creep
All-steel, 3-stage planetary gear train
Provides increased drum speed when compared with worm drives and 1- or 2-stage planetary gear trains
Rubber, hand-held remote with 12' lead lets you operate winch from a safe distance
Weather-resistant switch powers the load in and out
Wireless remote control (BDW20156 - sold separately) available
Free-spooling clutch ensures fast rope payout and reduces wear on the motor
Gearbox can be rotated 360 degrees so you can reach the clutch handle no matter where you mount the winch
3/8" Diameter zinc-plated wire rope is strong and abrasion resistant
87' Long, aircraft-grade galvanized steel cable -----
3/8" Steel clevis hook and nylon hand-saver strap included
Steel roller fairlead with thick frame
4 Rollers reduce friction and wear on the rope
Silver-zinc-plated finish resists corrosion
Durable, black powder coated steel body, power unit, and motor resist corrosion
Dacromet-plated motor tube resists internal corrosion
Extra-thick steel frame, rear tie-bar, and power unit base help to create a strong and rigid winch body

Specs:
Rated line pull (with a single layer of wire rope around the drum): 10,000 lbs (static load)
Vehicle recovery capacity: 6,667 lbs
Motor: 12-volt DC
Line pull at 0 lbs:
Power draw: 70 amps
Line speed: 25 FPM
Line pull at 10,000 lbs:
Power draw: 380 amps
Line speed: 5 FPM
Gear ratio: 265:1
Duty cycle: 2 minutes on/15 minutes off
Braking: 100-percent load-holding mechanical
Battery lead wire: 2 gauge
Battery lead length: 6'
Rope dimensions: 87' long x 3/8" (9.2 mm) diameter
Winch dimensions: 21-5/16" long x 6-5/16" wide x 8-5/8" tall
Drum dimensions: 2-1/2" diameter x 8-13/16" long
4-Bolt mounting pattern: 10" x 4-1/2"
Distance between roller fairlead mounting holes (center to center): 10"
Winch weight (with wire rope installed): 88 lbs
Recommended battery size (for maximum power): 650 CCA
2-Year limited warranty

BDW10017 Standard Series Integrated

This off-road recovery winch lets you pull your stuck vehicle out of mud, snow, water or a ditch and up steep inclines. The integrated power unit is mounted over the drum and housed in an extruded aluminum cover. This makes it ideal for use on rock crawlers, Jeeps, and off-road racing 4x4 trucks. It's simple to install - just bolt the winch and roller fairlead to a mounting plate (sold separately), bolt the plate to your bumper, and run the power lead to your vehicle's battery. This winch includes a free-spool clutch for easy rope payout and a clockable gearbox so you can reach the clutch handle if you have to mount it in a tight location.

Heavy-Duty, 5.8-Horsepower Motor
BDW Standard Motor

This winch features a 5.8-horsepower, 12-volt DC motor with 10,000 lbs of line pull. This heavy-duty, series-wound motor is more powerful and more dependable than a permanent magnet motor, and it generates more torque and dispenses heat more efficiently when operating at high speeds. Drain holes in the housing release condensation created by motor heat to prevent internal moisture buildup. There is also a cover over the motor that protects the terminals and power line from rocks and debris. The motor is constructed of durable, corrosion-resistant materials including the powder coated housing, dacromet-plated motor tube, copper battery terminals, and zinc-plated steel hardware.

Integrated Power Unit with Sealed Contactor
BDW Contactor

The contactor - or solenoid - transmits power from the vehicle's battery to the winch motor. The 450-amp contactor - located inside the power unit - is sealed to meet IP67 specifications for water and weather resistance. The integrated, aluminum power unit is mounted over the rope drum, adding structural support in place of traditional tie-bars while also providing the rope with protection from rocks and debris. The power unit is constructed of durable extruded aluminum that offers better protection against rocks than plastic power units, and it has a rust-resistant black powder coat finish. The copper terminals and zinc-plated hardware are corrosion resistant.

Remote plugged into contactor

The rubber-sealed plug on the side of the power unit houses the attachment port for the remote control.

Free-Spooling Clutch with Rotating Handle
BDW Free-Spooling Clutch freespool

The free-spool clutch enables you to pull out the rope by hand. This saves battery power, prevents the brake from wearing down prematurely, reduces wear on the motor, and is much faster than waiting for the drum to unroll the rope. To release the clutch for free-spooling simply rotate the handle to the position indicated by the stick figure icon on the label. To reengage the clutch, rotate the handle back to the position indicated by the vehicle icon on the label.

The clutch is driven by a 3-stage planetary gear train. This provides more speed than traditional worm gear drives or 1- or 2-stage planetary gear trains. It includes a ring gear that slides over the planetary gear set to lock it in or out of gear.

The gearbox can be rotated in 30-degree increments to 12 different positions to ensure that you can easily access the clutch handle no matter where the winch is mounted. This is great for custom and in-bumper applications or on vehicles with small engines where space is extremely limited.

The gearbox is sealed to keep out moisture, and it has a black powder coat finish for rust resistance. The chrome-plated clutch handle is stylish and weather resistant.

Automatic, Load-Holding Mechanical Brake
BDW Mechanical Brake

The automatic mechanical brake securely holds a load and prevents unintentional payout (or creep). A large spring coil contracts when the winch is in gear and the drum is winding in. When the winch stops, the load starts to pull and the spring expands to press against the spring chamber. The pressure of the spring on the wall of the spring chamber creates resistance to stop the drum from rotating outward. At maximum pressure the brake holds 100 percent of the load.

The friction created when the spring is pressing against the spring chamber creates heat. That heat is quickly dispersed away from the motor shaft and through the gearbox. This prevents potentially damaging heat buildup near the motor.

And since the brake is located inside the drum, the winch has a smaller profile and will fit into locations where space is limited such as between a vehicle's bumper and radiator.

Weather-Resistant Hand-Held Remote
BDW Hand-Held Remote

The hand-held remote has a 12' lead and an in/out rocker switch so you can operate your winch at a safe distance. The rocker switch is sealed and water resistant so it won't get damaged in wet conditions. Simply plug the durable plastic remote into the power unit when you need to use it, and disconnect it to store it away when you aren't using it.

There is a wireless remote kit (BDW20156 - sold separately) that lets you operate the winch from up to 100' away. You can also operate the winch from the comfort of your vehicle with a dash-mounted in-cab control (BDW20064 - sold separately).

Wire Rope
BDW Wire Rope

The wire rope is made of high-strength, aircraft-grade galvanized steel that is zinc-plated to resist abrasions and withstand harsh UV rays, chemicals, and extreme temperatures.

The rope winds around a solid steel drum. The mounting flanges are strong enough to resist bending or breaking if the rope wrap becomes uneven and excess stress is put on the drum.

A hand-saver strap is included to use in conjunction with work gloves (BDW20070 - sold separately) so that you can safely handle the rope and hook. A rock bag (BDW20048 - sold separately) is also recommended. The rock bag helps prevent a broken rope from snapping back by forcing it to the ground.

Steel Hook

The removable clevis hook is constructed of high-strength forged alloy steel that is heavy duty and rust resistant. It has a spring-loaded safety latch for quick fastening and removal. The hook attaches to the steel thimble on the end of the wire rope.

Roller Fairlead
BDW Roller Fairlead

The roller fairlead has a thick steel frame with 4 steel rollers. The rollers reduce friction when you're pulling the rope in or paying it out, and they prevent the rope from becoming pinched when pulling at extreme angles. The rollers have a silver-zinc-plated finish that is tough and corrosion resistant. The fairlead installs with zinc-plated hardware.

Note: The roller fairlead does not mount directly to the winch - it typically attaches to tabs on the winch mounting plate (sold separately). Bulldog Winch mounting plates - as well as most other aftermarket mounts - include these tabs.

Rugged Construction
BDW Winch Body

This integrated winch is constructed of strong, durable materials that are able to withstand any weather condition or terrain. The motor housing and gearbox are made of corrosion-resistant powder coated steel. The contactor is sealed to keep water out, and the power unit housing is constructed of extruded aluminum with a black powder coat finish. There is an aluminum cover over the motor that protects the motor terminals and power line. The side frame drum supports, steel rear tie bar, and power unit base help to create a strong and rigid winch body.

Installation
You will need a suitable mounting location to install the winch on the front of your vehicle. Winch mounts are built into many aftermarket bumpers and grille guards. Alternatively, you can install a universal front-mount plate (BDW20008 - sold separately) to create a mounting point for both your winch and fairlead. The integrated winch is easy to install. Simply bolt the winch and fairlead to a mounting plate (sold separately), bolt the mounting plate to your bumper, connect the winch's power line to your vehicles battery, and plug in the hand-held remote.

Winch Line Pull Capacity
Layers of Rope
Capacity (lbs) Total Rope on Drum (ft)
1st Layer ---10,000 with 16
2nd Layer --- 7,964 with 42
3rd Layer ---- 6,591 with 72
4th Layer ----- 5,632 with 87

The line pull capacity of your winch is determined by the maximum load your winch can pull with a single layer of rope on the drum. As more layers of rope are wound onto the drum, pulling the same load requires more force, leading to a loss in winching power. With a 2nd layer of rope around the drum, your line pull capacity is reduced by approximately 14 percent. With 3 layers on the drum, the line pull capacity is reduced by approximately 23 percent, and with 4 layers on the drum it is reduced by approximately 35 percent.

Note: It is recommended that you begin any line pull with a minimum of 5 wraps and a maximum of 2 layers of rope on the drum.

Vehicle Recovery and Winch Capacity
To select the appropriate off-road/recovery winch for your application, determine your gross vehicle weight. The GVW is the stand-alone weight of your vehicle plus the weight of any items in and on the vehicle. Once you have determined the GVW of your vehicle, choose a winch with a capacity that is 1-1/2 times your GVW. Using that formula, this winch - with a 10,000-pound capacity - will work for vehicles with an approximate GVW of 6,667 pounds.

Rolling Load Winch Capacity
Percent Incline Rolling Load Capacity (lbs)
Level Surface 100,000
5 (3°) 66,700
10 (6°) 50,200
20 (11°) 34,000
30 (17°) 26,100
50 (26°) 18,600
70 (35°) 15,300
100 (45°) 12,900
rolling load
To calculate your winch's rolling load capacity - the amount of weight it can pull up an incline - you must multiply the line pull capacity by a factor determined by the degree of the incline.

The multiplication factors shown in the chart, right, include a 10-percent rolling friction factor.

Note: A 5-percent - or 3-degree - incline is a 1/2' rise over a 10' distance. Follow the chart to determine your winch's rolling load capacity.

Double-Line Pulling
Double-Line Pulling

Increase the pulling capacity of your winch by doubling up the rope with a pulley block (BDW20028 - sold separately). Secure the pulley block to a tree saver strap (BDW20015 - sold separately) with a bow shackle (BDW20021 - sold separately) to provide a strong anchor for your double-line pull. Or use the Bulldog Winch 7-piece rigging kit (BDW20075 - sold separately) that includes everything you need for heavy-duty recovery. Using double-line operation will approximately double your winch's pulling capacity.

10005 Bulldog Winch Integrated Self-Recovery Off-Road Winch - Wire Rope

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-14-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, the "Water Resistant" statement is the downfall of every winch I know of. Been through several brands and I'm not a "wheeler". (Although I used to 4 wheel a lot.) I use winches on my goosenecks to load vehicles that don't run. So, my winches have never been under water, just rained on and wet. Probably the longest lasting was a Warn winch but, you already know about them and their cost.

For my application, I now go for the cheaper Harbor Freight winches. I've had the expensive ones and the cheap ones, hasn't made a huge amount of difference to my experience. YMMV. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Rams
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I adapted one of those Harbor Freight units to work with my boat lift, basically turning it so that it pulls up and down rather than sideways.

I use a 12 volt car battery to power it and it lifts my 1500lb boat OK. The contacts get pretty hot if I try to bring the boat up all at once but if I pause about 30 seconds between 10 seconds of lift there's no problem.

Over the winter I added another set of pulleys to reduce the work load ( you remember high school physics, right?). It will have to wait until spring to see if that helps.

Cost about $70 and I figured that I'd have to replace it every couple of years due to the salt air which eats metal like it was sulfuric acid.

Six years later it's still working fine.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Over the winter I added another set of pulleys to reduce the work load ( you remember high school physics, right?). It will have to wait until spring to see if that helps.

May help on the % load part of the duty cycle/cool off period, but not on the time part of it.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the time to lift will actually increase but hey, I'm retired.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever winch you decide to buy, like the others on here, I haven't found anything truly waterproof yet. If you truly don't bury the front end underwater yet simply get the motor wet from washing or splashing, you can always buy one of these. It will probably be the last winch you buy if it is protected.

This one happens to be from the Bulldog website
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I came across this article --- A winch shootout! But it's from 2011.... since, I'm sure the manufactures have done some changes but you never know... some winch companies didn't even want to participate... "Mile Marker and Ramsey" were scared of the truth, I guess.. Interesting reading if you're in the market for a winch though... and they do a underwater submission test

http://www.fourwheeler.com/...ulti-winch-shootout/

I will definitely look into the bag next time..... but I do like the fact that the top housing of the bulldog is made of aluminum instead of plastic.. it states that there are drain holes for the flooding problem that I had.. if the components/selonoids inside can be submerged for a short time, but then dry out so they don't corrode like the winch I have now, then I'm down to look into.. the bulldog did okay in the submerged test too where as some winches didn't even work after.. the Warn leaked oil all over the place in its test. 😐.. but kept working after

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-13-2018).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
What really bothers me when I look through all the reviews and info...

Some units are all the same housing design, cheap lever handle that rusts etc..?.... are they the same manufacture but then given a different name to have variety?...

Why are most winches made in China?

Smittybuilt in my book is sh**ybuilt.. due to some rocksliders I owned.. they never mounted right and welds were mediocre.... they dented easily... I had to get rid of them... Now I run Hanson rock sliders and will never look back...

I feel that smittybuilt is a copout for the beginner jEEPer.. which I'm not!.... "got to get all the bolt-on's so I look cool 😎".... including their side paneling fenders etc... but then go to the mall.. if you know what I mean.... Mall crawlers instead of rock crawlers.. just my opinion

Heck.. my side fenders are all busted from adventures 😜... trail rash!.. and I love it

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-13-2018).]

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You Vette and Jeep owners are such an elitist group.
Where's PK?
I can't help. I'm with Ron, I buy a cheap winch and toss it when it's done for.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess it's all about being safe.... with security 👍🏼

----->>>>> ENGO E10000 ... zero pulls. 5years on the bumper.. dead.. rusted out completely box compartment.. solenoid clicking only. No motor movement .. RIP.... Lol.. The controller looks brand new

I suppose if you were using a winch for a trailer hauler and your winch doesn't work, you could just come back the next day after it's fixed or now new.. Out in the middle of nowhere is slightly different if you're stuck.. ....OH 💩 --- the best brand, mid and/or POS count

------>> so as we say in our family!........ the curse has come to me today... burning HOLeS in my pocket!

After all the research..... I find myself driving to 4WEST in Colton, CA... they closed at 1pm and it was 12...30min drive.. so you could imagine what I was thinking...here I already made up my mind that I was going to buy and no worries, I made it with ease..

So They had bulldogs in stock...... plus Warns and a couple other brands..

I bought the 9500lb bulldog... it's a standard series.. I got it for $416 which I though was okay.. And since I could buy today instead of waiting..... they had the 10005 model but it was $260 more. But since I own a pulley block/snatch block, I can double the pull strength.. I mean, what's a 500lb difference anyway? Except 500lbs.. are you really missing out without the extra strength?... they didn't have a bag though. I need to get it online, I guess.... The model I bought came with the steel cable but I swapped it out with a synthetic rope that i already had.. its practically new and has no pulls on it... I'll keep the steel cable for backup... Save the weight in the front too

Anyway, i want to say thanks for the help.. Please keep the thread going.. I'm still interested I what people have experienced and/or recommend.. Even if they've owned a 9500 bulldog and things happened.. I'd like to hear.... I'll definitely update, as well, when the adventurs begin... and I get to use the new winch!... 🍺 Cheers!

---------------------- so here it is installed...

STANDARD SERIES
WORKHORSES THAT OFFER GREAT DEPENDABILITY AND VALUE!

SERIES WOUND MOTORS FOR MAXIMUM TORQUE

POWERS LOAD IN AND OUT

AUTOMATIC LOAD HOLDING BRAKE

FREESPOOLING CLUTCH FOR QUICK ROPE DEPLOYMENT

SEALED 450 AMP CONTACTOR FOR DURABILITY AND DEPENDABILITY

GOOD DUTY CYCLE

IP67 EXTREME WATER RESISTANCE

MULTI-MOUNT/REMOVEABLE/REMOTE MOUNTABLE POWER UNITS FOR MOUNTING IN TIGHT SPACES

FEATURES & SPECS
MOTOR SERIES WOUND 12vDC 5.5hp
SWITCH 450 AMP SEALED CONTACTOR
CONTROLLER
WIRED: HAND CONTROL WITH 12' LEAD INCLUDED

WIRELESS: OPTIONAL & AVAILABLE 20156

POWER UNIT MULTI-MOUNT / REMOTE MOUNTABLE
BATTERY LEADS 6'
GEAR TRAIN 3-STAGE PLANETARY
GEAR RATIO 265:1
GEAR BOX CLOCKABLE TO ROTATE SHIFTER (contact for instructions)
CLUTCH FREESPOOLING
BRAKE AUTOMATIC LOAD HOLD IN DRUM
DRUM DIA x L 2.5" x 8.8" (63.5 x 223.5mm)
OVERALL DIMENSIONS(LxWxH) 21.7" x 6.3" X 8.6" (551 x 160 x 218mm)
MOUNTING BOLT PATTERN 10" x 4.5"
WARRANTY 2 YEAR LIMITED
BATTERY RECOMMENDATION 650CCA
PULL, SPEED, AMPS
LINE PULL LBS SPEED FT/MIN CURRENT (A)
0 24.6 80
2000 14.4 180
4000 10.6 240
6000 8.5 280
8000 7 330
9500 6.4 380
LINE PULL & ROPE CAPACITY IN LAYER
LAYER RATED LINE PULL LBS TOTAL ROPE ON DRUM FT
1 9500 16.2
2 7700 39
3 6500 68.2
4 5700 100

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
.. sorry double post

PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I'm wrong here, but to mine, Ray, and Ron's point you are $1500+ deep in winches you've never used. We're all using our cheap ones regularly. Specifically in Ron and I's case it cost us time and money for ours to fail. Potentially lots. You're just out your leisure time. At your own admittance you've only been stuck once and didn't even need a winch for that. I think this is an AR-15 "tacti-cool" purchase. Your money though, so buy what makes you happy.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 01-14-2018).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2018 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

I guess it's all about being safe.... with security 👍🏼

SNIP

I suppose if you were using a winch for a trailer hauler and your winch doesn't work, you could just come back the next day after it's fixed or now new.. Out in the middle of nowhere is slightly different if you're stuck.. ....OH 💩 --- the best brand, mid and/or POS count

Oh Ye of little faith..............

As I frequently tell my wife and others, every trip is an adventure. Where there's a will, there's a way. I have never failed to get the target loaded with or with out a winch. It ain't always easy but, I've always got it done. I once loaded a Fiero that was frozen in an ice puddle that had a locked up transmission. Burned out the winch trying to load it.
Only one of the four wheels would roll. Chocked the trailer, unhooked and used my truck to pull it up on the trailer.

When you travel several hundred miles to load, you don't just go back the next day and try again. Time and expense makes it a Git R Dun mission. While it may happen someday, I have yet to not get it done.

Rams
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
........ so my Sunday 1/14 fun-day of off-roading was a success!!! --- Pilot Rock trail off the 138 and Silerwood Lake -- 5-7 moderate rating with 60+/- degreess of incline/decline.. some run-off ruts were roughly 12"-24" deep

We had------

-- A full rollover -- Tacoma Toyota
-- Broken drive shaft --- older Cj style 2 door
-- Multiple people always getting stuck --- 2 Cherokees, another Cj and a ram 4x4 1500 with a hemi

---- >>> My jEEP..jk unlimited 4door .. no worries what so ever and took me for a ride 😜...

The new winch.. still no pulls...

-------- to reply to post above.... I'm at a cost of 2 cheap winches.. $450 for the old and $416 for the new.. with a peace of mind though..

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-15-2018).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

........ so my Sunday 1/14 fun-day of off-roading was a success!!! --- Pilot Rock trail off the 138 and Silerwood Lake -- 5-7 moderate rating with 60+/- degreess of incline/decline.. some run-off ruts were roughly 12"-24" deep

We had------

-- A full rollover -- Tacoma Toyota
-- Broken drive shaft --- older Cj style 2 door
-- Multiple people always getting stuck --- 2 Cherokees, another Cj and a ram 4x4 1500 with a hemi

---- >>> My jEEP..jk unlimited 4door .. no worries what so ever and took me for a ride 😜...

-------- to reply to post above.... I'm at a cost of 2 cheap winches.. $450 for the old and $416 for the new.. with a peace of mind though..

Plus whatever mount block you were boasting about and the synthetic line.

Glad you had fun.

Anyone ever take a super duty out?

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 01-15-2018).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2018 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's the truth as I see it. Regardless of what I or anyone else would do, it's your Jeep, your adventure and your money. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that counts.

Rams

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2018 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have two harbor freight winches. One has never been outside, the other one has been outside on my trailer for more than ten years. No problems with either one. They are highly rated by some.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock