Started on: 01-12-2018 12:48 PM
Replies: 11 (154 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 01-13-2018 02:17 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My company is dropping their cell phone plan, so I no longer get the discounts and reimbursements that effectively made my cell phone bill $5/month. So my AT&T plan will now be $70ish a month for the plan they advertise as $48/month (after all the fees and crap they add on).

Are there any good cheap plans? I use maybe 2 hours of talk and 100 texts/month, less than 1GB of data.

If a cellphone wasn't essentially a pocket computer I'd just ditch it entirely.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cricket or straight talk.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't complain about trac-fone, cost me about 120 a year, of course I don't use the data much as I am around a computer/network 90% of the day.

dan
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out T Mobile also. If they have decent coverage where you live/work, their prices are fairly reasonable. I have four lines with unlimited data and text messages and pay about $120 per month. There are also some special prices right now but I do not have any details.

Nelson
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I highly recommend cricket, I loved them when I had it.
It was like $35/month with 2.5gb of data.

I'm using Project Fi right now and pay $20/month for talk and text plus $10/gb. So if I don't use a lot of data, my bill is cheaper. Although you do need to use a certain phone with it to work correctly.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2018 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find the company and plan that suits YOU. I mean this. If you drive a lot, or travel, you may want to put that into consideration. If you just sit at home, then that also is a thought. I have not had this happen, but I know of more than once that a person changed plans only to find out it absolutely sucked compared to a few more dollars of a good carrier.

I need Verizon for where I live, what I use my service for, and because it just works best here. Had another for a short period. A very short period.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2018 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone I know uses Consumer Cellular, and is quite pleased with it.
AT&T phones are compatible, at least where she will be using it.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Someone I know uses Consumer Cellular, and is quite pleased with it.
AT&T phones are compatible, at least where she will be using it.

Consumer Cellular is a GSM phone that uses AT&T towers for broadcast/reception. I got one for my father in law a few years ago and it worked well when he wanted to use it.

Nelson
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What phone do you have and are you wanting a new one? Just you?

Mint SIM if you can use T-Mobile. $15 for 2GB LTE. Your AT&T phone will work if it is unlocked.
ProjectFi is a joke. Need specific phones. Molds 3rd, 4th, and 5th carrier into 1. $20. No data $10 per GB. Your phone almost assuredly isn't one of their phones.
If you can use Sprint and hurry you can bring your own phone and get 1 year free unlimited service. Your phone probably isn't one of their phones, but may work if it is unlocked.
Cricket is AT&T. Has a $30 2GB LTE plan, but for $5 more with autopay you can get 5GB LTE. Your phone will work.
Total Wireless if you want a Verizon option. $35 a month 5GB LTE. You're phone may or may not work if it is unlocked.

I wouldn't pay full price for any carrier except Verizon or AT&T. They have the subscriber base of carriers 3,4, and 5 combined for a reason. Also with roaming agreements and the right phone you can roam onto the other 3 shithole networks. This claim is Donald Trump approved.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11603 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by rbell2915:

I highly recommend cricket, I loved them when I had it.
It was like $35/month with 2.5gb of data.

I'm using Project Fi right now and pay $20/month for talk and text plus $10/gb. So if I don't use a lot of data, my bill is cheaper. Although you do need to use a certain phone with it to work correctly.

It's 5GB now. It bumped up from 2.5>3>4>5 over the last maybe 18 months. They did drop the 5/$100, but the $30 plan is now at 2GB so really probably worth it if you wanted to save more money. I heard some people were gaming it and switching to the $40 plan for the $5 autopay and then going back down to the $30 plan, which also gave a data reset. I haven't followed the thread about it, but I think it may be a closed loophole as of earlier this year. They are really pushing everyone to their Unlimited2 plan. If you can tolerate the nonsense service Fi offers, why not just go to MintSIM or Sprint free 1 year promo? That whole venture has been a pipe dream from the start and the people that are just over the moon preaching it are charlatans.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:
Consumer Cellular is a GSM phone that uses AT&T towers for broadcast/reception. I got one for my father in law a few years ago and it worked well when he wanted to use it.
Depend on where you are at any given time CC uses Tmobil too and switches networks from ATT to Tmobil and back.

I Hate CC. Tried several phones and all drop signal a lot. Just go into any building and drop signal only a few feet in to many because used ATT or Tmobil.
CC Phones offered are very few and most are junk.
CC "bring you own device" simple does not work w/ most phones because most are SIM Locked phones. They only tell you in very small print in ads or when you call CC support because phone won't work.
2 quick Examples:
If you have Verizon will take SIMs for roaming and Verizon unlock the slot, SIM unlock phones always default to Verizon network and will try to connect to them. Many Verizon phones are made so Can't unlock SIMs permanently and will lock every day. Many lock again in hours.
If you find Tmobil phones, CC sims often works only to connect to Tmobil towers even when SIM slot is unlock. ATT phones often only see ATT towers.

Sprint Tmobil and ATT are networks that most others use, Boost Cricket CC etc, and often are lower speeds too.
Verizon is expensive but I got far less problems w/ them and very few areas when I had no signal even inside buildings.

Note: Comcast Mobil uses Home and other Comcast Hotspots to connect voice calls and data. When phones can't see them then currently uses Verizon.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2018 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not going to go through Ogre's post with a comb, as I'm on my phone and the coding of PFF sucks for long post, but take it with a grain of salt. Plenty of inaccuracies.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock