Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Is new secret 'Zuma' satellite a failure? SpaceX's Shotwell says 'Not our fault.'

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is new secret 'Zuma' satellite a failure? SpaceX's Shotwell says 'Not our fault.' by rinselberg
Started on: 01-09-2018 10:13 AM
Replies: 36 (482 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 04-11-2018 12:01 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amid speculation that the secret "Zuma" satellite mission has already ended in failure, SpaceX President and Chief Operating Officer Gwynne Shotwell (how about that name?) said this:

For clarity: after review of all data to date, [the SpaceX] Falcon 9 [launch to orbit system] did everything correctly on Sunday night. If we or others find otherwise based on further review, we will report it immediately. Information published that is contrary to this statement is categorically false.

Did SpaceX’s secret Zuma mission actually fail?
Conflicting reports say the satellite fell out of the sky

Loren Grush reports for The Verge; January 9, 2018.
https://www.theverge.com/20...fied-falcon-9-rocket

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 01-09-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disinformation tactic. Very common method used.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, if their intent was to project the appearance of failure, did they succeed or did they fail to succeed at failure?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the mission was to go up and push a Russian spy satellite down. Making it look like one of our own fell?
Hopefully it was the one that they used to steal the election from clinton. Trump just smashed a phone and wiped a sever Trump style. LOL
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SpaceX had previously (Nov 2017) postponed the launch over concerns that the satellite builder's fairing (Northrop Grumman) presented problems.

SpaceX equipment according to current reports, all performed exactly as they were supposed to.

(OTOH, this whole thing may be a ruse to make "someone(s) believe the payload isn't up there, when in actuality it may well be)
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our government would never lie to us!

....Would they?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

SpaceX had previously (Nov 2017) postponed the launch over concerns that the satellite builder's fairing (Northrop Grumman) presented problems.

SpaceX equipment according to current reports, all performed exactly as they were supposed to.

(OTOH, this whole thing may be a ruse to make "someone(s) believe the payload isn't up there, when in actuality it may well be)

This is interesting because I was under the impression that we have the technology to count and track exactly how many satellites are out there and their exact trajectory? If this was a "C"lassified (I emphasized the C for the clinton liberals who think C on sensitive Government documents is a page# ) mission, wouldn't it make sense that the Worlds Governments, friends or foes would pay close attention? How could they be so easily deceived? And why would they do this to fool the general public?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stealth satellites?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-09-2018).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

This is interesting because I was under the impression that we have the technology to count and track exactly how many satellites are out there and their exact trajectory? If this was a "C"lassified (I emphasized the C for the clinton liberals who think C on sensitive Government documents is a page# ) mission, wouldn't it make sense that the Worlds Governments, friends or foes would pay close attention? How could they be so easily deceived? And why would they do this to fool the general public?

'We' (as well as others) do have that ability, and the entity (US govt agency) tasked with that tracking has not yet updated whether a new satellite is orbiting.
Inasmuch as the mission for this device is classified, no one outside the govt knows what it does, but we do know that our govt uses it's space assets to track and keep tabs on far more than just unfriendly foreign targets.
I'm sure tho, that Obama's former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper would assure us all that 'you have nothing to worry about..we don't collect data or spy on US citizens'.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure tho, that Obama's former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper would assure us all that 'you have nothing to worry about..we don't collect data or spy on US citizens'.

Ok, that is a twist that I did not think about.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The days of trusting our government officials at their word is (sadly) long gone.
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The days of trusting our government officials at their word is (sadly) long gone.

I guess you may be correct, I do believe that many of them are just regular people like you and I who have no malicious intent. I also believe that America is still the best County on Earth. And to prevent further decay, "the people" need to stay engaged in the political process.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Stealth satellites?

That's one of the normal ones. The stealth ones are flat black.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was reading about this earlier... of course, we can only speculate and know only want we're told; however, I doubt very seriously that it was intentional or a "smoke screen" of failure so to speak. Failure is rarely a tactic that we've ever seen used in Government. ... largely because of the perception it gives about our capabilities.

I would believe that in fact it did probably fail, but it sounds like maybe it was the Northrup Grumman part (Zuma) that failed, rather than the Falcon rocket. They've had something like 44+ successful launches with like 3 failures, not sure what that comes out to... but that's at least a 94% success rate if I'm doing the math in my head right. They've been doing this since 2010... so they're not new to it.

I'm trying to not let my love of Space-X cloud my judgement, but I suspect that if there was a failure, it was probably Northrup Grumman.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

So, if their intent was to project the appearance of failure, did they succeed or did they fail to succeed at failure?

Sounds like the question I ask my kids and my wife every now and then.

If you set out to fail at something and you do fail at that something, did you succeed or did you fail?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You succeeded in failing.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2018 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69658 posts
Member since Apr 2001
ABC is reporting a govt official as stating the satellite fell in the Indian Ocean after deployment.

A highly classified satellite launched by SpaceX this weekend ended up plummeting into the Indian Ocean, a U.S. official confirmed to ABC News.
Following its launch from Florida's Cape Canaveral Sunday night, the satellite, codenamed Zuma, failed to remain in orbit, the official said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cl...ms/story?id=52246100

Maybe I'm reading too much into the statement, but to me, it strongly infers the payload was in fact released from SpaceX's Falcon but for whatever reason Zuma itself failed to remain in orbital status.
Brings up more ? than answers tho.

Biggest of all is whether the 2nd stage of the rocket actually reached orbit 'altitude' before that 2nd stage itself began it's de-orbit burn which usually puts that 2nd stage into the Indian Ocean too. Some SpaceX missions tho, the 2nd stage stays in orbit for several months until orbit decays on it's own. Depends what orbit altitude design was. Low Earth Orbit/Polar or GEO..and we don't know exactly what orbit this device was intended to be in.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2018 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still more confusion: From another news source.

To confuse matters further, the Falcon 9’s first stage was able to successfully land back on Earth, indicating that the rocket was still fully operational.

Even more so, the US Strategic Command added an entry to its Space-Track catalog of artificial objects orbiting the planet, indicating that the new satellite was able to make at least one orbit. That was before another confusing piece was added: their spokesman Navy Captain Brook DeWalt stated that Strategic Command had “nothing to add to the satellite catalog at this time.” This could either indicate that there is nothing to add in addition to the new satellite entry, or that the Zuma satellite is no longer in orbit.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2018 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Failed because they misspelled it. It was supposed to be the Zumba satellite.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2018 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Zuma, Zune, Zima. All failurz.
Coinzidenz?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2018 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news for Musk that he is supplying rockets for Turkey now that a call to obliterate Israel was just made.

One hand washes the other.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 04-09-2018).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Good news for Musk that he is supplying rockets for Turkey now that a call to obliterate Israel was just made.

"Supplying rockets" .....or launching communications and Earth observation satellites from Florida and Calif on Falcon 9 rockets..satellites that Eurostar/Airbus built on the Eurostar E3000 platform that they sold to Turkey?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-10-2018).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They did announce today that Northrop Grumman was at fault and not SpaceX.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/0...-zuma-satellite.html

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

They did announce today that Northrop Grumman was at fault and not SpaceX.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/0...-zuma-satellite.html

That's why I posted the bump.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/121997.html#p20
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its childsplay for Israel to wipe out all of Turkeys launch sites...and they wouldnt think twice about it if they were really a threat. They would do it right after they had their morning coffee. Might even bomb a few Iranian sites along the way for practice.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turkey is a NATO member so no.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After further inquiry, I stand by my assertions.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

20794 posts
Member since Dec 2008

"Supplying rockets" .....or launching communications and Earth observation satellites from Florida and Calif on Falcon 9 rockets..satellites that Eurostar/Airbus built on the Eurostar E3000 platform that they sold to Turkey?

See previous post.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, when are these 'rockets' to be delivered to Turkey?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, when are these 'rockets' to be delivered to Turkey?

Do your own homework.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

20794 posts
Member since Dec 2008
I see Elon Musk as a charlatan. Nothing more. The truth will rise. Prove me wrong.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do your own homework.

You want someone else to prove 'your' point?

What can be asserted without evidence can be (and should be) dismissed without evidence.

04-09-2018 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2018 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, but I am not rereading. I am not your fool.

I did reread before posting this morning. For my own good, and for assurance. I will not do it a third time. I still stand by my original thoughts, and the ones that I posted about this conversation several months ago when the meeting took place. It was stuffed down below other more interesting headlines.

I am not obtuse. Have at it...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2018 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess that I was COMPLETELY wrong. Congrats Don. Congrats.

Turkey announced just yesterday that it wants islam to wipe Israel off of the face of the Earth. But you got me Don. Congrats.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of what Erdoğan says publicly is simply for domestic consumption by the masses within Turkey itself....there's an election underway.
Not that I trust him one bit, but...

When it comes to diplomats or heads of state, I pay more attention to what is NOT said that what is publicly said.
Erdoğan is running on economic improvement above all else, and Turkey's economy is closely tied at the hip to that of Israel. Erdoğan knows this all too well. The Turkish resort city of Antalya was the #1 destination for Jewish Israeli tourists at Passover and Israel is in the top 10 of Turkey's export recipients. (#6 I believe as of february 2018)
Turkish currency is taking a beating from US $, the Brit pound, the Euro and just about any other significant global currency and inflation in Turkey has been over 10% for some time.

When a leader has trouble at home, it's not unusual for that leader to attempt to guide the narrative elsewhere..takes the populace's mind off their domestic misery at least temporarily tho Erdogan is more likely to let one of the lesser Turkish politicans call for Israel's destruction than to do it publicly or privately himself.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock