Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Anyone read fiction books with magic as the central theme???

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone read fiction books with magic as the central theme??? by pavo_roddy
Started on: 01-05-2018 06:08 PM
Replies: 13 (138 views)
Last post by: Fats on 01-06-2018 09:17 PM
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I have tried to read The Lost Years of Merlin twice, cannot get into it. Also, jus read on a comic book movie website that they are thinking of making a movie on that series!!! Hope it does well!! Once tried to read Magic The Gathering books, it didn't work out either. Any suggestions???

Thanx,

Air-ick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It, by the inventor of the internet Al Gore.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He said magic, not fairy tales.
😳
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18027 posts
Member since May 2004
The Harry Potter movies were entertaining, but never read the books.
I'm a huge fan of the writings of JRR Tolkien. Peter Jackson did an incredible job recreating the stories in film.
There are a few stories in the Silmarillion that I would like to see produced.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-05-2018).]

otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're looking for a fiction series with a theme of magic, I'm going to suggest you check out something called The Dresden Files by James Butcher.

"The books are written as a first person narrative from the perspective of the main character, private investigator and wizard Harry Dresden, as he recounts investigations into supernatural disturbances in modern-day Chicago. Butcher's original proposed title for the first novel was Semiautomagic, which sums up the series' balance of fantasy and hard-boiled detective fiction."

More info at Wikipedia and Jim Butchers website
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

He said magic, not fairy tales.
😳

Close enough.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try Piers Anthony Xanth and Adept books
Sci Fi try Bio of a Space Tyrant series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...Anthony_bibliography

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you liked the Lord Of The Rings trilogy then try The Iron Tower trilogy.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fantasy/medieval setting, modern day, or what?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The Harry Potter movies were entertaining, but never read the books.
I'm a huge fan of the writings of JRR Tolkien. Peter Jackson did an incredible job recreating the stories in film.
There are a few stories in the Silmarillion that I would like to see produced.

Harry Potter Must Go!
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's funny, I though the same thing after watching the first film.

Seemed like a rip off of "Star Wars" to me*.

*Note the "to me" before anyone goes bonkers.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

That's funny, I though the same thing after watching the first film.

There were several notorious HP threads here at PFF when it first came out..and others when the sequels came out. One was about 25 pgs long.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020511-6-004353.html

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

I have tried to read The Lost Years of Merlin twice, cannot get into it. Also, jus read on a comic book movie website that they are thinking of making a movie on that series!!! Hope it does well!! Once tried to read Magic The Gathering books, it didn't work out either. Any suggestions???

Thanx,

Air-ick

When I was younger (mostly in middle school), I read all of those Dungeons & Dragons novels... like ones by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss. I REALLY liked them when I was younger. They were all ~500 pages, and there are maybe 80 or so different books. There's a few covering different areas... like Dragon Lance, Forgotten Realms, etc. I'd have to say, they were the best for that kind of genre.

I don't know how well they translate now, as an adult. I bought two new ones recently... but haven't started it yet. I don't know if it's like Conan the Barbarian... totally awesome when you're 12, and then as an adult you say to yourself... what the f**k is this s**t I am watching???

Originally posted by dennis_6:

I suggest An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It, by the inventor of the internet Al Gore.

Hah... awesome...

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Prince of Thorns and Red Queens war have magic as part of the theme.

Brad

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock