Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  So, we had a blizzard here yesterday and now the wind chill is -1.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
So, we had a blizzard here yesterday and now the wind chill is -1. by RayOtton
Started on: 01-05-2018 01:18 PM
Replies: 27 (585 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-08-2018 03:27 PM
RayOtton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might have heard we had a cyclonic snow bomb event, formally know as a snowmageddon. Used to call it a snowstorm but that's so boomerish.

In any case, the mainland bridge was closed due to 60MPH winds but since we got 12 inches of snow piling up into 4 foot drifts around the cars it's not like we're going anywhere..........in January.

I've got two faucets, one in the attic and one outside that won't turn on. Just waiting for a burst pipe.

The heat pump was never meant for this kind of cold so I had to turn on the secondary electric heater$. Even with that I can't get the house over 70 degrees because there are 30 MPH winds coming off the bay.

You know, I've been living here for 20 years.

In the first 17 years the salt water creek behind my house froze over once.

In the last 3 years it's frozen over four times and this winter's just started.

This sucks and it's Trump's fault. Everyone is congratulating him on defeating Global Warming in just his first year in office.

Well, just this once I wouldn't mind a little less winning.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
64°F is a comfortable indoor temp in the winter......
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

HA, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha....eh.........Oh, you're serious.

Must be the MI thing, certainly not the VA thing.

Although "wifey the menopausal" would agree with you and getting a menopausal woman to agree with ANYTHING is a major accomplishment.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For a woman in hot flashes

But yeah, I have a friend who keeps his around that.
Not me though.

Ray put on layers so the clothes keep ya warmer, wear a stocking hat (if you even have those ) and you can give your heaters a little bit of a break.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-05-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
I pity you folks that aren't used ot the cold and snow.
Its something we got accustomed to, I drove to work in -17 F actual without the windchill this morning.
I snowmobiled at -10 actual last weekend. Sleds run great when its that cold!

Hope you get a break soon. I hear we will this weekend.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
feel your pain, we didn't get the snow current temp with windchill -30. house set at 65, and it is still cold downstairs. And to believe I used to ski in this and not complain, key word USED TO.

dan

[This message has been edited by bonaduce (edited 01-05-2018).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gore says it is because of Climate Crisis

(Global Warming to Climate Change and now to Climate Crisis) hmm....

http://www.climatedepot.com...-the-climate-crisis/

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ray,
Pretty sure I've got some sympathy around here somewhere. I'll send you some if I have any left over. Didn't get much snow but, been a bit on the cool side since Christmas Eve. Only rode the Valkyrie once since then. Kept up my New Year's tradition and rode New Year's Day but buddy, it was cold outside.

Rams
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I pity you folks that aren't used ot the cold and snow.....................

Well, not exactly a snow pu**y here.

Spent 45 years fighting snow and traffic snarls in the cesspit that's called Long Island. Made a decision to get the hell out of there partly because of the transportation problems associated with bad weather. (In fact, during the blizzard of '78 I decided to stay home but the rest of my carpool got stranded for a week in a gas station.)

So, we did our homework and decided on southern VA because the weather was milder but still had seasons.

Didn't take into account Mr. Trump's winning the presidency and his affect on global warming.

Damn it.

But y'all's warm regards have taken the chill off. Thanks.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Gore says it is because of Climate Crisis

(Global Warming to Climate Change and now to Climate Crisis) hmm....

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2018 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turn up thermostat? = $$$$$
Put on more clothes in the house? = Isn't that kind of like environmentally responsible?
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This IS a "climate crisis".....well at least until next week. By then we should be back to shorts and sandals again.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Turn up thermostat? = $$$$$
Put on more clothes in the house? = Isn't that kind of like environmentally responsible?

Joe,
I don't think he's listening to advice. I told him to get some blankets/comforters and cuddle up with his lady but, his response was something to the effect that he couldn't handle it very long. Not sure we were on the same topic though.

Rams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regarding the faucets that go outside, if you have shut off valves shut them off so if a pipe does rupture the leak will not be massive.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Joe,
I don't think he's listening to advice. I told him to get some blankets/comforters and cuddle up with his lady but, his response was something to the effect that he couldn't handle it very long. Not sure we were on the same topic though.

Rams

Uh, you didn't hit PM, you hit reply.....🤔

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey man, there's a four hour window after that there's nothin' but the cuddlin'.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:
The heat pump was never meant for this kind of cold so I had to turn on the secondary electric heater$. Even with that I can't get the house over 70 degrees because there are 30 MPH winds coming off the bay.

My home was built in 1978 and the first owner got conned into a heat pump (with electric resistance backup) in Michigan. The previous owner said the bills in the dead of winter were $250+ back in the late 70's - early 80's .

By the time I bought the house natural gas had been run by the house and it had a natural gas furnace along with the heat pump. Tried the heat pump a few times and used it only as a summer air conditioner after that.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2018 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey man, there's a four hour window after that there's nothin' but the cuddlin'.

Ya gettin so old you've forgotten the concept of "Now make me a smmich?"

(BTW, the running that causes will be some of the best cardio you ever get, AND give you new personal track records)
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ray,
Again, I'm talk'n about keeping warm not, well you know what not....................

Rams
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Ya gettin so old you've forgotten the concept of "Now make me a smmich?"

Yeah, now it's more like "Honey would you bring me an Ensure?".

But for those four hours, it's like being a teenager again. Actually better 'cuz I'm not looking over my shoulder for her parents.

PFF
System Bot
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

This IS a "climate crisis".....well at least until next week. By then we should be back to shorts and sandals again.

that temp is shorts and sandals weather here in upstate ny

dan

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The real life protagonist of this 4-minute video segment from NBC News MACH is Paul Huttner, the leading weather expert for Minnesota Public Radio.
https://www.nbcnews.com/mac...severe-1130676803800

If anyone were to endure whatever brief video commercial precedes the video topic, they would see and hear "stuff" about Bomb Cyclones, Warmer Oceans, Warmer Temperatures in the Arctic and the Meandering Jet Stream.

It could be followed with some words and pictures from the likes of climate researchers Jennifer Francis (Rutgers) and Jeffrey Dukes (Purdue), in a news report that also features (some of) Donald J. Trump.

Why 'climate change' may be to blame for dangerous cold blanketing eastern U.S.
Erik Ortiz for NBC News; January 5, 2018.
https://www.nbcnews.com/new...ting-eastern-n834986

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bonaduce:

that temp is shorts and sandals weather here in upstate ny

dan

It looks it's getting back to normal.

This is the kind of "winter" I moved here for.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-08-2018).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're expecting 70 degrees here on Sunday. So that's a 71 degree swing in a week.

Glad I didn't bother with much snow removal, looks like mother nature will do it just fine.

Is that sexist? Did I assume the mother's gender?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton: You might have heard we had a cyclonic snow bomb event, formally know as a snowmageddon. Used to call it a snowstorm but that's so boomerish.

Millennials don't have snowstorms. They have polar vortexes, bomb cyclones, and superstorms. Cuz every winter has to be EPIC.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Karma ?

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-12-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock