Started on: 12-29-2017 04:23 PM
Replies: 7 (468 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 12-31-2017 08:05 PM
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2017 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
virus proof?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2017 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2017 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try before you buy with a Chromebook. I converted an Acer netbook to chromium a while back and wasn't happy with it. Didn't take me long to go back to windoze.

In all fairness, if all you want is email, net surfing, and streaming movies its great....but don't ask it to run cad or spreadsheets or much of anything useful.

Meh, it was designed for millenials. (Sez MeM typing on a 10.1" android tablet)
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2017 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing is really virus proof. Low return on investment writing virus for some things though. Phishing, malware, and spyware are really the biggest problems I think most devices face. I don't think any person here has ever truly been hacked. I mean someone getting your IP and attacking you specifically with intent. User error is the biggest culprit. I am not saying system vulnerabilities don't exist, don't get me wrong here. I personally do not much like Chromebooks. Generally lackluster specs. They often have higher resolutions than they can really support. Software isn't as readily available. Support is small given how divided the market is. I mean each version really needs it own support. I don't know what you are wanting to do with it, but I really prefer a tablet or netbook. Some do double duty. Some are garbage. I am not into iAnything, but the iPad is popular for a reason. Problem with Android tablets is there are no rules. It is really anything goes. I picked a huge winner spec wise and company wise, but got burned. As if it support wasn't bad enough for the Samsung Note 12.2 Pro I went with the 4G LTE version. It has been and still is a top spec tablet, but it only ever received 1 update and the LTE version can't take custom ROM. Others put out low end tablets. The Win10 tablets are as much of a crap shoot too. I really liked the Dell Mini when it came out. I was getting them for around $100 from the outlet and selling them like crazy. Now you can buy tablets and netbooks for $100 all day and what you get really varies.
Here is a case in point. Insigina Flex
https://www.bestbuy.com/sit...5800.p?skuId=5255800
Can be bought pre-owned. $65 shipped.
-Bright and clear 11.6" HD display (1920x1080). Great resolution. Too many pixels for this device.
-32GB of internal storage. Windows 10 this is just too paltry. Even with USB storage updates can be a hassle.
-5.0 MP Rear-facing & 2.0 MP Front-facing cameras. Who the hell is using a tablet to take pictures? At 5MP your phone is almost guaranteed better.
-Intel Atom Quad-Core x5 Z8300. Would be much better suited to WIN7.
-No RAM info. I'd guess 2GB and certainly not upgradeable.

What are you looking for in a device?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2017 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Linux is base of everything Android and I think ChromeOS.
Linux and other open source items have many holes.
Example: BIND runs on Linux and others and had problems... https://threatpost.com/high...d-to-a-crash/123677/
Linux gets malware but most are written for Windows or Google Play and Apple Store to skim data on phones etc at a minimum.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2017 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Nothing is really virus proof. Low return on investment writing virus for some things though. Phishing, malware, and spyware are really the biggest problems I think most devices face. I don't think any person here has ever truly been hacked. I mean someone getting your IP and attacking you specifically with intent. User error is the biggest culprit. I am not saying system vulnerabilities don't exist, don't get me wrong here. I personally do not much like Chromebooks. Generally lackluster specs. They often have higher resolutions than they can really support. Software isn't as readily available. Support is small given how divided the market is. I mean each version really needs it own support. I don't know what you are wanting to do with it, but I really prefer a tablet or netbook. Some do double duty. Some are garbage. I am not into iAnything, but the iPad is popular for a reason. Problem with Android tablets is there are no rules. It is really anything goes. I picked a huge winner spec wise and company wise, but got burned. As if it support wasn't bad enough for the Samsung Note 12.2 Pro I went with the 4G LTE version. It has been and still is a top spec tablet, but it only ever received 1 update and the LTE version can't take custom ROM. Others put out low end tablets. The Win10 tablets are as much of a crap shoot too. I really liked the Dell Mini when it came out. I was getting them for around $100 from the outlet and selling them like crazy. Now you can buy tablets and netbooks for $100 all day and what you get really varies.
Here is a case in point. Insigina Flex
https://www.bestbuy.com/sit...5800.p?skuId=5255800
Can be bought pre-owned. $65 shipped.
-Bright and clear 11.6" HD display (1920x1080). Great resolution. Too many pixels for this device.
-32GB of internal storage. Windows 10 this is just too paltry. Even with USB storage updates can be a hassle.
-5.0 MP Rear-facing & 2.0 MP Front-facing cameras. Who the hell is using a tablet to take pictures? At 5MP your phone is almost guaranteed better.
-Intel Atom Quad-Core x5 Z8300. Would be much better suited to WIN7.
-No RAM info. I'd guess 2GB and certainly not upgradeable.

What are you looking for in a device?

Internet surfing. I don't need any office software.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2017 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Need a keyboard? Long times between charging? Outside? Loud speakers? Bluetootj?

YGPM
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

If you ever do, you can always use OpenOffice from OpenOffice.org. It's basically the full Office suite, but made open source, and the products all have different names. Instead of Word it's Write, instead Excel it's like Calc or something... can't remember. But it works really well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock