Started on: 12-26-2017 11:31 AM
Replies: 13 (326 views)
Last post by: Red88FF on 12-28-2017 12:09 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-26-2017 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We went to a friends place for xmas dinner.

She had had problems thawing the turkey, so decided it was a good idea to stick it in a roasting pan and leave it out.....for 3 days.

By the time she asked me to open it and yank out the gizzards, the bag was swollen up like a balloon, and the smell that came out of there was enough to inspire a trip to the bathroom sink.

So much for THAT bird.....Aw, well. She wont ever be doing THAT again. AND, it seems canned ham makes a perfectly acceptable substitute in a pinch.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad it wasn't YOUR screw up this time...unless you've started referring to yourself in the 4rd person, feminine pronouns...again.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-26-2017 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Naw. this was a minor disaster.

MY screw-ups usually result in major ones.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll always take ham over turkey anyway. Sure, you can make turkey palatable but put the same effort into a ham and it's on another level.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

I'll always take ham over turkey anyway. Sure, you can make turkey palatable but put the same effort into a ham and it's on another level.

Wife loves ham. I like meat. Turkey was $.48/lb this year so I have close 2 dozen in my freezers. I make about 1 every 2 weeks. We eat turkey the first night and then I make something with the leftovers. Turkey chili. Turkey noodle soup. Turkey and dumplings. Turkey gumbo. That has been what I've made so far. The dumplings were Jenny's favorite. I love gumbo. The chili and soup are just an all around hit. I too defrost mine in the roaster, but it takes hardly a day in my experience. Sounds yucky.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So why didn't she just cook it frozen?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deep fried frozen turkeys are a BLAST!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2017 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

So why didn't she just cook it frozen?

There was a recipe that called for a thawed bird. Kinda hard to inject marinade into a frozen hunk of flesh, I guess. I dunno, I'm thinking a crossbow from across the kitchen would have made injection holes just fine.

I'm doing the new years eve feast and have a small (as small as they get) Turducken on order to pick up tomorrow. THAT goes in the oven straight from the freezer.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frozen just takes about 1/3 longer to cook. You take it out after about 2.5-3 hrs and do the injection thing, season the inside cavity and remove the pack of giblets at the same time, then put the turkey back in the oven to finish cooking.
I have a 13lb turkey in the freezer right now that came from the store with instructions to cook it unthawed straight from freezer--inside a special bag.

Plenty of tried and proven instructions on internet from reliable chefs on how to cook one right from the freezer.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Frozen just takes about 1/3 longer to cook. You take it out after about 2.5-3 hrs and do the injection thing, season the inside cavity and remove the pack of giblets at the same time, then put the turkey back in the oven to finish cooking.
I have a 13lb turkey in the freezer right now that came from the store with instructions to cook it unthawed straight from freezer--inside a special bag.

Plenty of tried and proven instructions on internet from reliable chefs on how to cook one right from the freezer.

I've never cooked one from the freezer. I could see it being juicier. Might give that a try this week.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I've never cooked one from the freezer. I could see it being juicier. Might give that a try this week.

Research it well Lonzo.
https://www.washingtonpost....8a8c29c65_story.html

http://www.savoryreviews.co...-turkey-from-frozen/

http://www.geniuskitchen.co...frozen-turkey-442677

https://www.google.com/sear...king+a+frozen+turkey

I cook turkeys in an electric roaster like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiNoXnaGOgc

(I haven't stuffed a turkey in years and in spite of what some of these instructions say, I don't recommend it for any frozen or partially frozen bird)
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

By the time she asked me to open it and yank out the gizzards, the bag was swollen up like a balloon, and the smell that came out of there was enough to inspire a trip to the bathroom sink.

At one of our jobsites, the contractor hosts a pre-Thanksgiving lunch where everyone goes home afterward with a frozen turkey. This is maybe a week or a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. So our employee comes back with a turkey in his trunk... And forgets about it. Several days later, he leaves for a vacation. A week of really nice, warm weather follows. When he returns, his car stinks like a dead body. Trunk is full of rotting meat! The turkey thawed out and leached blood and putrid juices all over the interior of his trunk. The only thing missing from this story is if there were millions of maggots!

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2017 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Research it well Lonzo.
https://www.washingtonpost....8a8c29c65_story.html[/URL ]

[URL=http://www.savoryreviews.com/2012/11/19/how-to-cook-a-turkey-from-frozen/]http://www.savoryreviews.co...-turkey-from-frozen/

http://www.geniuskitchen.co...frozen-turkey-442677

https://www.google.com/sear...king+a+frozen+turkey

I cook turkeys in an electric roaster like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiNoXnaGOgc

(I haven't stuffed a turkey in years and in spite of what some of these instructions say, I don't recommend it for any frozen or partially frozen bird)

Thanks for the heads up Don. After reading these I am just going to thaw the damn thing. I don't have space issues for letting it thaw naturally and I make turkey often enough that I can wait a day if need be.

I cook my turkeys in a roaster too. No need to tie up my oven or heat up the house. I do enjoy a deep fried turkey, but oil is $30 and really can't be stored that I have tried. I haven't done one in a decade and unless I was doing a few, likely won't be doing it again anytime soon.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 12-28-2017).]

Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2017 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

So much for THAT bird.....Aw, well. She wont ever be doing THAT again. AND, it seems canned ham makes a perfectly acceptable substitute in a pinch.

So..... you went to Christmas dinner in the "Ham Tins" sorry, had to.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock