Started on: 12-26-2017 08:14 AM
Replies: 8 (238 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 12-27-2017 09:20 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

My Aged Eggnog Recipe

The word nog was an Old English term for ale, and a noggin was the cup from whence it was drunk.
Although most Americans think of eggnog as something they get out of a milk carton during the two-week period leading up to Christmas, eggnog descends from sack posset, a strong, thick English beverage built upon eggs, milk and either a fortified wine (like Madeira) or ale. It was a highly alcoholic beverage, often served so thick it could be scooped. It was also very much an upper-class tipple, as rich folks were usually the only ones who could procure the proper ingredients.

Yeah, this recipe has a lot of booze in it, but safety is always first and you’ll want at least 20 percent alcohol by volume to stamp out any microbial baddies the raw eggs might have brought on board. I also think the various natural flavorants in the spirits provide a fantastic complexity as the nog ages, with my peak target generally being between 4 and 6 months.

AGED EGGNOG

Ingredients
12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
1 pound sugar
1 pint half-n-half
1 pint whole milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 cup Jamaican rum
1 cup cognac
1 cup bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Instructions
Separate the eggs and store the whites for another purpose.
Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid "ribbon."
Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.
Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there's nothing that says you couldn't age it a year, but I've just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)
Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top.

By © Alton Brown, 2014

Enjoy, just not too much...

Rams
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!

Sounds... lethal.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like a lot of work. I just buy some eggnog and mix in some liquor. My favorite is like a White Russian but with eggnog instead of cream.
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alton always seems to have the best recipes.

Brad
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post12-26-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just buy some liquor and pass on the stop at the convince store.

MeM's version of eggnog......minus the egg or the nog.

http://www.krakenrum.com/

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Barf.
I generally like his old shows but this isn't a Good Eats item. Maybe Graham Kerr on old The Galloping Gourmet and others put a lot of booze in thing they cooked and some in them while cooking.
That much rum etc the taste won't mater. After a few ounces the mouth is quite numb. 1/2 or more hour later and many will be drunk enough to get arrested if driving.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2017 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't suggest I'd be making or drinking any of this, just sharing something I found.

One shot and I'm sleepy. I quit indulging in the spirits long ago. Don't really like egg nog either.

BTW, just how does one go about pasteurizing an egg?

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 12-26-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
BTW, just how does one go about pasteurizing an egg?
About same as Milk etc but only reach ~134 to 140°F for X time.
Egg Beaters (only has egg whites) and others are all basically the same (Not all are pasteurized.) but AB et al often can't use brand names. AB etc even relabel most things shown on their shows to avoid a lot of issues. I thing AB Rachel Ray and maybe others have segments of shows, online faq, etc covered what they do to avoid all brand names. RR covers relabel and 30 minute meals set but don't know where still find it. (Stove was real and restored but Refer is modern reshell to look old.)

https://www.thedailymeal.co...without-being-cooked
http://www.safeeggs.com/saf...w-we-pasteurize-eggs have a quick overview eggs in shell.

Note: There are Many DIY methods for this but many are fooling themselves thinking is safer then just using raw eggs. If done wrong it can be far worse then raw. If you try any and still make people sick then get a lawyer fast. No business should take a risk using DIY methods. Bad enough w/ normal things getting people sick then sued...

For many cooking can use egg powder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdered_eggs
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2017 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I just buy some liquor and pass on the stop at the convince store.

MeM's version of eggnog......minus the egg or the nog.

http://www.krakenrum.com/

The Kraken ruins friendships. UGH. I stick with Jerry the Sailor for my spiced rum. Really don't mess with it as it is a lollipop in my stomach. Bourbon, scotch, and cheap light beer are my legit favorites. Egg nog is not something I enjoy, not even with alcohol. I don't even like dairy and liquor combined anyway. I did pass this recipe on to a nog friend of mine. He of course wanted me to make it, but I am on drinking hiatus so my bar is empty.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock